Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

So what's really wrong at Nebraska? (1 Viewer)

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Can we really blame coaches still?

Nebraska has tried a lot of different directions since Frank Solich:

Pro Style Coach - Callahan
Successful and fiery Defensive Coordinator - Pelini
Nice guy - Riley
Former star and (supposedly) offensive guru - Scott Frost

Is it just bad hires? Or is it something else? I don't think it's unrealistic to expect Nebraska to get to bowl games. That's only happened once in 7 years. At this point maybe it's unrealistic to expect to compete with for a Big 10 West division that isn't very good? Surely not though. So what's missing?

Maybe it's just as simple as they haven't tried the right type of coach: A person that's actually had success as a head coach at the Power 5 level? Maybe it's even more internally. Is there something holding the program back that isn't coach related? I thought all of that was supposed be cleared out after Eichorst was ousted?

#HBD

Safety
Elite Member
Can we really blame coaches still?

Nebraska has tried a lot of different directions since Frank Solich:

Pro Style Coach - Callahan
Successful and fiery Defensive Coordinator - Pelini
Nice guy - Riley
Former star and (supposedly) offensive guru - Scott Frost

Is it just bad hires? Or is it something else? I don't think it's unrealistic to expect Nebraska to get to bowl games. That's only happened once in 7 years. At this point maybe it's unrealistic to expect to compete with for a Big 10 West division that isn't very good? Surely not though. So what's missing?

Maybe it's just as simple as they haven't tried the right type of coach: A person that's actually had success as a head coach at the Power 5 level? Maybe it's even more internally. Is there something holding the program back that isn't coach related? I thought all of that was supposed be cleared out after Eichorst was ousted?
You hit it on the head, amigo. Pretty simple, IMHO. Shit, half-assed hires generally don’t pan out.

Maybe it's just as simple as they haven't tried the right type of coach: A person that's actually had success as a head coach at the Power 5 level?

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
You hit it on the head, amigo. Pretty simple, IMHO. Shit, half-assed hires generally don’t pan out.

Maybe it's just as simple as they haven't tried the right type of coach: A person that's actually had success as a head coach at the Power 5 level?
Were they half-assed though? Was the Frost one? He was basically sought after by multiple power 5 schools that year. Maybe the problem was the full autonomy that Nebraska gave him? He came in thinking he had all the answers to Nebraska's woes but was in over his head?

DrinkItIn

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG
They have hired bad coaches. Simple as that.

I mean NU hasn't done a real coaching search since 1962. That is crazy to think about.

Yes, Frost was a bad hire, but a hire that needed to happen at the time. His teams at UCF were undisciplined and penalty-prone there as well. We all just hoped that would change at NU.

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
I think it all comes back to not having a full time coach search consulting team find the best available option.

Everyone tried to hire their guy. Turd needs to find an outside view of the situation and find the best option that he approves of.

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
I think it is really a mental toughness that is missing. You listen to the guys talk, and they sound like they expect to be great just based on off-season work and grinding during the week. Yet in nearly every crucial moment they choke. At the highest levels of all sport and profession, mental focus is what separates bad from good and great. To even compete at an NFL or even Bama, OSU type level, you need to be elite because the talent is so high. I can accept that players are going to make mistakes at times during key moments, but when it consistently happens with the same guys in the same situations again and again, there is a deeper issue.
NU doesn't have a leader within their coaching staff right now that has the laser focus, so it is impossible for it to have bled into the psyche of the team, and seems to me to be a main cause of what we see each week.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
For me, its Swimtown's fault.
Whereas I blame the 308 for turning out "softer" athletes. Back in St. Osborne's day, you could count on Western Nebraska producing a strapping young lad that was already country strong from slinging hay bales around all day. Now they sit in their fancy tractors and watch their equipment spit out big round bales that are moved with hydraulics, not muscles. SMH.

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
Whereas I blame the 308 for turning out "softer" athletes. Back in St. Osborne's day, you could count on Western Nebraska producing a strapping young lad that was already country strong from slinging hay bales around all day. Now they sit in their fancy tractors and watch their equipment spit out big round bales that are moved with hydraulics, not muscles. SMH.

step-brothers-dont.gif

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds