Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

I really really hope that..... (1 Viewer)

Tsakoi

Running Back
Elite Member
....I'm totally wrong about Jeff Sims.

I'm sitting here hoping it was just the first game jitters, new team, new opponent, new OC, new conference....he got a little lost in the hype and was a bit nervous with the pressure. He'll calm down....yada, yada, yada.

But, that means that this week we have an even bigger problem, because this game arguably carries even more importance with hype off the charts. Even more eyeballs will be on this game because CU beat TCU. Rivalry game. Nobody wants to go 0-2. The other team's coach will be in every news clip, pregame show AND FUCKING COMMERCIALS the entire week. The pressure just got cranked to 11. It's a more difficult game in terms of scrutiny than the Minnesota game.

And the CU QB faced all the same adversity against TCU (pressure, new team, new opponent, new conference) and performed at the highest level possible. Fuck me, right?

One thing that doesn't add up for me is blaming the WRs for Sims struggles. Kemp didn't have a problem getting open in his career. IGC didn't have a problem getting open last year. Neither did Washington. All of a sudden they can't? Fidone should technically be a mismatch for lots of LBs and DBs. Boerkircher was open. Hill was open.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong and Jeff Sims and the rest of you shame me for being a doubter, but I've followed football for a long time and I feel like I've seen this movie before and too many times TBH.

Black5hirt

Offensive Lineman
tPB OG
raw

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
One thing that doesn't add up for me is blaming the WRs for Sims struggles. Kemp didn't have a problem getting open in his career. IGC didn't have a problem getting open last year. Neither did Washington. All of a sudden they can't? Fidone should technically be a mismatch for lots of LBs and DBs. Boerkircher was open. Hill was open.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong and Jeff Sims and the rest of you shame me for being a doubter, but I've followed football for a long time and I feel like I've seen this movie before and too many times TBH.
Georgia Tech was able to learn to use Simms in a way that led to a very acceptable level of interceptions. I think this is going to require a significant adjustment from Satt as far as playing calling goes to simplify the reads. It probably means less pocket passing and more rolling out. You have to call plays that reflect what your guys are good at.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
Dennis Green nailed it for me:

iu

Sims remains a great athlete, but turns the ball over
Grant remains a great athlete, but turns the ball over

You cannot win close games by turning the ball over. As long as those guys are on the field, it's a roll of the dice on when/if a turnover happens. If the corches believe that they're the BEST guys we've got to roll out there during a game, then its apparently a risk they're willing to live with. OR they don't see a palatable alternative on the roster.

So for the foreseeable future, we are who we thought they were.

Red Finger

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
Based on what I saw with the interceptions at the end of each half, you can’t fix that. There was nothing complicated about what the defenders in each case was doing. Obviously both situations were critical as well. Sims just didn’t see it, and I’m guessing it’s because he can’t. Time and situation obviously didn’t factor into those throws.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Based on what I saw with the interceptions at the end of each half, you can’t fix that. There was nothing complicated about what the defenders in each case was doing. Obviously both situations were critical as well. Sims just didn’t see it, and I’m guessing it’s because he can’t. Time and situation obviously didn’t factor into those throws.
I understand your point, but then I get back to "then how did he throw only 3 INTs last year in 188 attempts and ten in the last two years in 376 attempts?"

If he truly is incapable of seeing those reads, those stats require an immense amount of luck, and are likely impossible.

Last edited:

Blakejc

Corporate Potato
Elite Member
Satterfield could call 10 pass plays a game and Sims would find a way to throw 3 picks
That’s the scary part. I got the sense the offense wasn’t asking Sims to do anything really complex. He just locked into his guy and wasn’t checking off. I mean, how the fuck do you throw a pick in the end zone from the 5 yard line with <10 seconds in the half. There was a cluster of people down there! The level of football iq is scary low.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
That’s the scary part. I got the sense the offense wasn’t asking Sims to do anything really complex. He just locked into his guy and wasn’t checking off.
The first int was excusable. Ball sailed on him with a dude wrapped around his legs. The other two were because he's dumb as shit and perpetually makes bad decisions

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
then why hasn't it happened for almost 3 years before last Thursday? Serious question.
The 3 picks part was mostly tongue in cheek, but he makes abysmal decisions in the passing game. It's disappointing because he does a real nice job climbing in the pocket.

I hope Thursday was an anomaly, but I'll have my doubts until I see him do better

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
If you look at his last two years, it shows a guy who is a successful runner, who can complete short passes with little risk, and has the arm strength to burn you with a deep ball if you get caught up in cheating to stop the run. He hasn't really ever shown he can pick a team apart with intermediate ranges passes. I actually expected they took him from the portal because that was how they envisioned his role in this offense.

Let me drop in 2021 and 2022. (2021 was his best year, and I think it's far to show it with 2022 because his 2022 line was a bunch of young novice starters - 3 RS freshmen and a soph - and they were graded one of the very worst in the country by PFF)

1693841816244.png

1693841881706.png

8 of his ten INTs over the two years came on passes greater than 10 yards to the middle of the field That's 8 INTs in 59 passes attempted. This is not what we want him doing; it's the weakest part of his game. In his other 317 attempts he had 2 INTs.

He only completed 39% of those 59 throws.

Last edited:

skerohio

Bench Warmer
Elite Member
I’m sure it’s been said, but on the INT before the half, 87 sat down on a hitch perfectly and was wide open. While i didn’t love calling a bunch to the short side, Sims looked right past a completely open guy to try and force something that wasn’t there.
Call plays to his strengths- but fuck- that is QB 101.
Love his running ability though.

Red Finger

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
I understand your point, but then I get back to "then how did he throw only 3 INTs last year in 188 attempts and ten in the last two years in 376 attempts?"

If he truly is incapable of seeing those reads, those stats require an immense amount of luck, and are likely impossible.
I’d love to be wrong, I just saw what I saw. Inexcusable throws. I’m sure they can manage it somehow, but idk how you don’t try to manage it after those throws. Maybe GT did idk.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds