Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

I really really hope that..... (1 Viewer)

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
If Satterfield doesn’t make adjustments and we have another 3 pick game, Rhule may be forced to fire him.
I actually think Rhule would have no problem putting Purdy in. And I'm positive he would do it. And soon.

Bad QB play wrecked his entire tenure in Carolina, I guarantee you Rhule is not gonna sit back and do the "let's wait it out for 4 years" plan we saw with Taylor Martinez and Adrian Martinez.

I think Rhule will have a quick hook w Sims in the next 3 games. This is not a true freshman QB - he's been around for 3 seasons already. If he can't grasp the concepts there's no reason to keep giving him snaps (there's magic upside w a 4th yr player).

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I’d love to be wrong, I just saw what I saw. Inexcusable throws. I’m sure they can manage it somehow, but idk how you don’t try to manage it after those throws. Maybe GT did idk.
GT didn't have him throw up the middle on intermediate to deep routes 50% of the time like Sims did 8/31. They did that only 15% of the time

From Rhule's presser:

1693848780474.png

Kemp was the number one option 9 times in 19 throws but was targeted twice.

IGC was targeted 5 times.

Maybe Sims is getting greedy.

Gman1228

Linebacker
Elite Member
If you look at his last two years, it shows a guy who is a successful runner, who can complete short passes with little risk, and has the arm strength to burn you with a deep ball if you get caught up in cheating to stop the run. He hasn't really ever shown he can pick a team apart with intermediate ranges passes. I actually expected they took him from the portal because that was how they envisioned his role in this offense.

Let me drop in 2021 and 2022. (2021 was his best year, and I think it's far to show it with 2022 because his 2022 line was a bunch of young novice starters - 3 RS freshmen and a soph - and they were graded one of the very worst in the country by PFF)

View attachment 26977

View attachment 26978

8 of his ten INTs over the two years came on passes greater than 10 yards to the middle of the field That's 8 INTs in 59 passes attempted. This is not what we want him doing; it's the weakest part of his game. In his other 317 attempts he had 2 INTs.

He only completed 39% of those 59 throws.

I had these concerns going back to the Spring with Sims. It is not like it is unique for a QB who is not very accurate and a slow blinker to have trouble throwing to the middle of the field. It is where the most bodies are located and its bad news bears when taking into account poor accuracy and a lack of understanding of what both the offense and defense are doing.

I really have no clue why Rhule tied his early wagon to Sims but it was also his undoing in Carolina. He needs to find an offensive wizard, like White on D, and stay the fuck out of the way.

His strength is building culture and toughness but that doesn't get built on losses. Get an alpha on offense and stay the fuck out of the way. That is what the big boys do but we are Nebraska so we continue to play in the little kids sandbox. We will learn that the hard way this weekend but it is what it is.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
I actually think Rhule would have no problem putting Purdy in. And I'm positive he would do it. And soon.

Bad QB play wrecked his entire tenure in Carolina, I guarantee you Rhule is not gonna sit back and do the "let's wait it out for 4 years" plan we saw with Taylor Martinez and Adrian Martinez.

I think Rhule will have a quick hook w Sims in the next 3 games. This is not a true freshman QB - he's been around for 3 seasons already. If he can't grasp the concepts there's no reason to keep giving him snaps (there's magic upside w a 4th yr player).
I wonder how Rhule and co. settled on Sims? It seemed like there were better qbs to run their system than him.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I had these concerns going back to the Spring with Sims. It is not like it is unique for a QB who is not very accurate and a slow blinker to have trouble throwing to the middle of the field. It is where the most bodies are located and its bad news bears when taking into account poor accuracy and a lack of understanding of what both the offense and defense are doing.

I really have no clue why Rhule tied his early wagon to Sims but it was also his undoing in Carolina. He needs to find an offensive wizard, like White on D, and stay the fuck out of the way.

His strength is building culture and toughness but that doesn't get built on losses. Get an alpha on offense and stay the fuck out of the way. That is what the big boys do but we are Nebraska so we continue to play in the little kids sandbox. We will learn that the hard way this weekend but it is what it is.
I don't think they are stupid. I think they know what Sims can and can't do.

I don't think Sims understands what he can do and can't do.

There is a reason Kemp was the number one option 9 times but was targeted twice.

I think Sims is going to have to decide to go with the play design. Sims is capable of making those plays.

Rhule told him what would happen if he didn't.

Rhule said Billy Kemp and Thomas Fidone needed to get more involved. Of the first 60 plays NU called, Kemp was the No. 1 option on nine of them. He said the overall passing game needed to get better starting this week.

Snockered69

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
GT didn't have him throw up the middle on intermediate to deep routes 50% of the time like Sims did 8/31. They did that only 15% of the time

From Rhule's presser:

View attachment 26983

Kemp was the number one option 9 times in 19 throws but was targeted twice.

IGC was targeted 5 times.

Maybe Sims is getting greedy.
Or could be as simple as he can’t read a defense and has poor mechanics and is a running “QB”.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Or could be as simple as he can’t read a defense and has poor mechanics and is a running “QB”.
Well do a lot more roll outs and bootlegs to shrink the field pass wise and incorporate more option. Good coaches coach to their talent. sims can run with the best of him. It’s on Satterfield to come up with a good game plan for him.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
that's essentially it. He can be efficient and decently error-free on short passes and when the receiver is near the boundary, and he has a strong arm that can punish teams when they try to take away the running game and the short passing game. But he isn't a guy who can shred a defense with his passing game.

He'll be a good weapon if he plays to his strengths, and he won't be a turnover machine. If he doesn't play to his strengths he will soon be on the bench.

If he continues to pass up throwing to the SLWR and the TE to throw to the WRs he won't be playing

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Or actually make him execute the existing game plan.
That’s true too. I just hope Satterfield isn’t trying to put a square peg in a round hole. We have seen that with some previous coordinators.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
That’s true too. I just hope Satterfield isn’t trying to put a square peg in a round hole. We have seen that with some previous coordinators.
I'll be more clear - I think he is not taking the options on passing plays Satt wants him to take.

They know exactly what Sims can and can't do. They are very meticulous, and I am sure they knew what Sims could do when they took him. I'm sure they watched his video.

I don't believe for a minute they expect him to do stuff he could never do before. I also do not think Satt is going rogue in his play calling - there is no way a guy who has been with Rhule this long would do what Rhule didn't want to do. He wouldn't still be around.

It is Sims who is going off the intended path. My guess is that he is getting some heavy duty coaching today.

Last edited:

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
It is Sims who is going off the intended path. My guess is that he is getting some heavy duty coaching today.
iu

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds