Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

So what's really wrong at Nebraska? (3 Viewers)

Skerz4Life50

Cornerback
Elite Member
In that case hire Kevin Steele and have him bring in elite assistants. We know the recruiting would be good with him.
Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Fargo Husker

Quarterback
Elite Member
Coaching carousel season will be wild.

LSU & USC are open. Who are they going to grab?

James Franklin going to USC? Add PSU to the list. Mel Tucker going to LSU? Add MSU to the list. Does #2ndChoice head to PSU or MSU? Does LSU snag Kiffin from Miss? Do FSU and VTech make moves on their head coaches? Does Narduzzi head to MSU? Does Mullen bounce on Florida?

Where does Nebraska stack up in the conversation? My gut tells me we're in the range right after PSU but maybe not with an easier road to the B1G championship.

1.) USC
2a.) LSU
2b.) FL
3.) FSU
4.) PSU
NEBRASKA
5a.) VTech
5b.) MSU
6.) Pitt
I made a thread about this a couple weeks ago on RRS and totally agree with your rankings. Obviously with CFB coaching carousels it can be hard to predict and some jobs open unexpectedly, but where it’s at now I don’t see UF or FSU moving on their coaches. That, in theory, puts Nebraska 4th in the pecking order of job openings. I’d feel pretty confident in our prospects given that field of teams.

Skerz4Life50

Cornerback
Elite Member
I made a thread about this a couple weeks ago on RRS and totally agree with your rankings. Obviously with CFB coaching carousels it can be hard to predict and some jobs open unexpectedly, but where it’s at now I don’t see UF or FSU moving on their coaches. That, in theory, puts Nebraska 4th in the pecking order of job openings. I’d feel pretty confident in our prospects given that field of teams.
Would we be above UCLA is Chip is fired?

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I honestly think it's the culture of the whole damn state that's a big part of the issue. having lived in another state for a decade now, it just seems weirder every time I go back

There's this weird inferiority complex that manifests itself into a distrust of outsiders, leading to a huge portion of our fanbase taking on an insular mentality and the constant push for a "nebraska guy" even if that means only a tenuous connection with guys like Lane or Richt. that attitude also pops up in the Omaha/western NE divide and further creates issues since the only decent population center doesn't view itself as a part of the rest of the state. I honestly think Frost has inadvertently done the program a huge favor by failing so spectacularly and lowering expectations. Hopefully the next coach can come in and get to work with a little less scrutiny over every meaningless detail

#HBD

Safety
Elite Member
Were they half-assed though? Was the Frost one? He was basically sought after by multiple power 5 schools that year. Maybe the problem was the full autonomy that Nebraska gave him? He came in thinking he had all the answers to Nebraska's woes but was in over his head?
I was 100% on board with the Frost hire, but looking back at the last 5 hires including Solich, it’s pretty evident they all lack something we need. Maybe it’s as simple as P5 success and experience, that’s definitely a good place to start with the next guy. Everyone was fooled by that 13-0 season, but I’m sure there are a million factors. Who knows, I’d love to not be depressed watching nearly every DONU football game though starting fresh with someone worth a shit in 2022. 😢🤷🏼‍♂️

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I honestly think it's the culture of the whole damn state that's a big part of the issue. having lived in another state for a decade now, it just seems weirder every time I go back

There's this weird inferiority complex that manifests itself into a distrust of outsiders, leading to a huge portion of our fanbase taking on an insular mentality and the constant push for a "nebraska guy" even if that means only a tenuous connection with guys like Lane or Richt. that attitude also pops up in the Omaha/western NE divide and further creates issues since the only decent population center doesn't view itself as a part of the rest of the state. I honestly think Frost has inadvertently done the program a huge favor by failing so spectacularly and lowering expectations. Hopefully the next coach can come in and get to work with a little less scrutiny over every meaningless detail
Nebraska: it's not for everyone

Red Finger

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
I would classify this as a non coaching issue. So how is this fixed?
Oooof, definitely not a easy answer to that. The easy answer I suppose is to everybody have a common goal, drop the pride, and use the resources they have to get something done. I suppose that's a hell of a lot easier said then done though....

I mean look at the Bill Moos / OU thing. Clearly there was a spilt there. I mainly think there isn't a common goal. I don't think they're asking themselves "what do we want to be? and then "how do we get there?"

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
My opinion? Scheme and bad coaching cultural fit. Bo and Scott are good culture fits coaching wise, scheme doesn't work to our expectations. Mike and Bill were both bad culture fits and their schemes were bad fits.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
My opinion? Scheme and bad coaching cultural fit. Bo and Scott are good culture fits coaching wise, scheme doesn't work to our expectations. Mike and Bill were both bad culture fits and their schemes were bad fits.
When you say bad scheme fits I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean bad scheme fit as in only certain schemes would ever work at Nebraska, no matter who they played? Or do you mean only certain schemes can win the Big 10 West? Big 10?

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
When you say bad scheme fits I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean bad scheme fit as in only certain schemes would ever work at Nebraska, no matter who they played? Or do you mean only certain schemes can win the Big 10 West? Big 10?
Both. I believe certain schemes work better in the state of Nebraska, and the Midwest depending on the situation, and I believe certain schemes work better winning the West. I'm not even considering a Big 10 title right now.

David Webb

JCTJB
Elite Member
Coaching carousel season will be wild.

LSU & USC are open. Who are they going to grab?

James Franklin going to USC? Add PSU to the list. Mel Tucker going to LSU? Add MSU to the list. Does #2ndChoice head to PSU or MSU? Does LSU snag Kiffin from Miss? Do FSU and VTech make moves on their head coaches? Does Narduzzi head to MSU? Does Mullen bounce on Florida?

Where does Nebraska stack up in the conversation? My gut tells me we're in the range right after PSU but maybe not with an easier road to the B1G championship.

1.) USC
2a.) LSU
2b.) FL
3.) FSU
4.) PSU
NEBRASKA
5a.) VTech
5b.) MSU
6.) Pitt
The thing about these rankings, is some coaches want to stay in a specific area of the country and will pass on jobs because of it. Nebraska could be 1st on that list for a particular coach, or last for another.

Poor_and_Stupid

Prolific Beaver Murderer
Elite Member
bruh thats like not even close to enough hours for a Power 5 coaching job

they are working 12+ hours a day 7 days a week (or should be)

I mean a Saturday game day alone is a 16+ hour day
Honestly, besides the money it sounds like a shitty ass job to me. All the work recruiting high schoolers, then losing in the gayest ways imaginable after all that work. Doesn’t sound fun at all.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
The thing about these rankings, is some coaches want to stay in a specific area of the country and will pass on jobs because of it. Nebraska could be 1st on that list for a particular coach, or last for another.
Definitely... conference strength and path to a championship would also be a factor in my mind.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Both. I believe certain schemes work better in the state of Nebraska, and the Midwest depending on the situation, and I believe certain schemes work better winning the West. I'm not even considering a Big 10 title right now.
Midwest meaning Nebraska, Cockeye, Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin or just essentially schools that can’t recruit elite talent.

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
Honestly, besides the money it sounds like a shitty ass job to me. All the work recruiting high schoolers, then losing in the gayest ways imaginable after all that work. Doesn’t sound fun at all.

Almost every job is like this. Especially high pressure high risk high stress high hours required high responsibilities high public eye type jobs.

Ex: Over 50% of Lawyers are alcoholics and over 50% of people in the medical profession Smoke.

I can’t speak from personal experience, the money is almost never worth it. Like if Frost is fired and then his wife leaves him do you think he is gonna be happy about picketing like $10m or do you think he would rather have his wife/kids and reputation back but let UNL keep that money?

If more people valued home, above gold, this world would be a merrier place.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds