Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Where did you TRUTHFULLY think we would be in Year 5 of the Frost Era?

Monken ran the same flexbone at Georgia Southern like paul Johnson did when he took over plus he was at G Tech and Navy with him. I’m sure it could vary some but I would be surprised if we weren’t an option team if he came to Nebraska. I’m not saying it’s bad, but I would be worried about our ceiling if we really want to win a BIG title someday. We know he would bring discipline which we haven’t had forever.

You’re basically placing a hard ceiling on your program at about 7 or 8 wins annually. You might be able to steal one from Michigan and tOSU every so often and maybe get to 9.

The thing is as well is if it goes horribly wrong you’ve just set your entire program back about a full decade.

You’re basically placing a hard ceiling on your program at about 7 or 8 wins annually. You might be able to steal one from Michigan and tOSU every so often and maybe get to 9.

The thing is as well is if it goes horribly wrong you’ve just set your entire program back about a full decade.
It literally can't get any worse than it is right now. 3 or 4 win seasons suck the same no matter who the coach is. At least by axing Frost we have a chance to improve.

It feels like this year is like a year 1 for a new staff. New coaches. Recruiting class thrown together at the last minute. A large class of transfers. Lots of holes on the roster. The expectation is simply to make a bowl game.

It literally can't get any worse than it is right now. 3 or 4 win seasons suck the same no matter who the coach is. At least by axing Frost we have a chance to improve.

It absolutely can get worse. But that’s not the question you should be asking if you’re looking for a coach.

It absolutely can get worse. But that’s not the question you should be asking if you’re looking for a coach.
Numbers-wise it could get worse, but that's extremely unlikely. Even if it did get worse, there's not much difference between a 1 win season and a 3 win season. They both are the same level of unacceptable.

Numbers-wise it could get worse, but that's extremely unlikely. Even if it did get worse, there's not much difference between a 1 win season and a 3 win season. They both are the same level of unacceptable.
Where I think we have screwed our selves in the past is hiring a completely different coach offensive wise each time after a firing. If Frost is fired hopefully we don’t go completely away from what fits the roster on the offensive side.

Where I think we have screwed our selves in the past is hiring a completely different coach offensive wise each time after a firing. If Frost is fired hopefully we don’t go completely away from what fits the roster on the offensive side.
Our offense doesn't really do anything though. No identity so there's nothing to go "away" from with a new hire.

Our offense doesn't really do anything though. No identity so there's nothing to go "away" from with a new hire.
It’s personnel problem starting over every time the way we have done it in the past going a different direction on the offensive side of the ball. For example we would have been better off hiring Rich Rod when we fired Solich and Michigan would have been better off with Callahan. I get what you’re saying with Frost it might not matter since we are already horrible.

Would someone winning 6-7 games a year but getting absolutely hammered in the other 6 games and no clear path forward on that front be better to you?

Would someone winning 6-7 games a year but getting absolutely hammered in the other 6 games and no clear path forward on that front be better to you?
I’ve always been a go by the wins guy so yes its still better than winning 3 and playing everyone tight. I also don’t believe 6-7 wins is good enough for Nebraska any way you put it unless it’s in the early stage of the takeover for a new coach.

Absofuckinglutely.

Bowl & winning record >>> four wins n home for holidays

First, neither are acceptable. However, I’d rather be in a place we are now where things appear to need a “tweak” rather than be in a place where it looks like we are miles and miles behind anyone else but we employ the “3 plus 3” old Bill Snyder method. Anyone who says their feelings are different now if we don’t punt the wrong way against MSU and Yant doesn’t trip over the 1 yard line against Minnesota is lying to you.

The expectations at Nebraska are to compete nationally. If you move on from Frost you’d better throw money at someone who can meet those expectations. In my opinion, Frost has the potential to do that. I understand he hasn’t to this point and if he doesn’t win this year it doesn’t matter what I or you think of him and he’ll be gone. However, I’d error on the side of keeping a guy with high end potential than I would go and hire a regional guy that can go “3 plus 3” and we slap hands after the Pinstripe Bowl.

First, neither are acceptable. However, I’d rather be in a place we are now where things appear to need a “tweak” rather than be in a place where it looks like we are miles and miles behind anyone else but we employ the “3 plus 3” old Bill Snyder method. Anyone who says their feelings are different now if we don’t punt the wrong way against MSU and Yant doesn’t trip over the 1 yard line against Minnesota is lying to you.

The expectations at Nebraska are to compete nationally. If you move on from Frost you’d better throw money at someone who can meet those expectations. In my opinion, Frost has the potential to do that. I understand he hasn’t to this point and if he doesn’t win this year it doesn’t matter what I or you think of him and he’ll be gone. However, I’d error on the side of keeping a guy with high end potential than I would go and hire a regional guy that can go “3 plus 3” and we slap hands after the Pinstripe Bowl.
If Frost wins 6-7 games this upcoming year but gets blown out 2-3 times would you fire him

We need more than a "tweak" to get right.

Will be interesting to see how this season plays out.

If Frost wins 6-7 games this upcoming year but gets blown out 2-3 times would you fire him

100%

I have said he’s got a sliding scale this year. If he wins 6-7 he can’t get blown out if we are going to entertain keeping him. MAYBE tOSU I’d let slide. If he wins 8, a blowout or two I could tolerate. If he wins 9 or above I become less and less bothered by blowouts.

We need more than a "tweak" to get right.

Will be interesting to see how this season plays out.

My premise is that 1) it can be worse 2) if you go into a hiring process with a mindset of “yeah he’s better than the guy we just fired who never had a winning season” you’re doing it wrong.

If we move on, you have to find a guy who can unequivocally meet the expectations here. Which is to compete nationally. If you hire a guy and he’s not clearly the best coach in the west you’ve failed, full stop.

My premise is that 1) it can be worse 2) if you go into a hiring process with a mindset of “yeah he’s better than the guy we just fired who never had a winning season” you’re doing it wrong.

If we move on, you have to find a guy who can unequivocally meet the expectations here. Which is to compete nationally. If you hire a guy and he’s not clearly the best coach in the west you’ve failed, full stop.
Well obviously you want to find someone that would be the best coach in the West, but even if the guy turns out to be the fourth or fifth best coach in the conference it is still a win for the program.

Well obviously you want to find someone that would be the best coach in the West, but even if the guy turns out to be the fourth or fifth best coach in the conference it is still a win for the program.

It’s really not. The expectations at Nebraska are to compete nationally. The 4th or 5th best coach in the big ten currently can’t and doesn’t get that done.

It’s really not. The expectations at Nebraska are to compete nationally. The 4th or 5th best coach in the big ten currently can’t and doesn’t get that done.
I just don't understand that logic. You're essentially saying you'd rather have three wins a year with Frost than win 6+ every year with some other guy.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back