Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Where did you TRUTHFULLY think we would be in Year 5 of the Frost Era? (1 Viewer)

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I dunno the defensive side has largely been pretty good. And that wasn't considered the strength of the UCF team.

Who would've known that the guys he brought over on the offensive side were the disasters?
The probability he hired a big ten championship caliber staff on a UCF budget is low. He may have ended up bringing the wrong coaches he had to pick, but it was a sign that he just wasn't ready for a job at this level.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
That undefeated season ended up being an albatross for everybody. Convinced Frost he could roll with his G5 staff. Continues to convince fans/admin(?) that he can get the job done despite all of the evidence - if his second season at UCF had been 8-4, he'd probably be fired here by now.
Totally agree, but I also kinda look at it another way - If UCF went 8-4, would Frost have come in with a lot more humility and willingness to learn/change on the job? Clearly he thought he had already reached the mountaintop by going 13-0 at UCF, and he thought all he had to do was replicate everything at NU and surround himself with yes-men. Maybe he comes in with the same attitude and fails and gets fired, but I think there's a decent chance he would've (correctly) felt like he was a brand new coach who was still climbing instead of a finished product who could rest on his laurels.

Even after the big changes he STILL sometimes seems to think he already had it all figured out and is just biding time until it all magically clicks again.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Totally agree, but I also kinda look at it another way - If UCF went 8-4, would Frost have come in with a lot more humility and willingness to learn/change on the job? Clearly he thought he had already reached the mountaintop by going 13-0 at UCF, and he thought all he had to do was replicate everything at NU and surround himself with yes-men. Maybe he comes in with the same attitude and fails and gets fired, but I think there's a decent chance he would've (correctly) felt like he was a brand new coach who was still climbing instead of a finished product who could rest on his laurels.

Even after the big changes he STILL sometimes seems to think he already had it all figured out and is just biding time until it all magically clicks again.
Are we sure he's even hired after a hypothetical 8-4? My head says no

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
That undefeated season ended up being an albatross for everybody. Convinced Frost he could roll with his G5 staff. Continues to convince fans/admin(?) that he can get the job done despite all of the evidence - if his second season at UCF had been 8-4, he'd probably be fired here by now. And it adds to the narrative that NU is a place where -- for some reason -- nobody can win, not even the guy that won a fake national championship at little ole UCF.
Frost should give half of his pay check to McKenzie Milton. Without him playing lights out Frost isn’t the hottest coach in America and the coach at Nebraska. That’s the most sad part of the situation. I was banking on great QB play when Frost took the job.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Are we sure he's even hired after a hypothetical 8-4? My head says no
If the end game was always for Frost to come home at some point, I always thought the best case scenario would've been for Riley to have another couple years of 7-9 wins and for Frost to work through some growing pains at UCF instead of instantly becoming such a hot commodity. Then Riley could've retired and handed the reins over to Frost in 2020 or whatever with a much healthier "culture" to work with and Frost wouldn't have bought into his own hype.

Instead we got the worst of all worlds, where Riley completely self-destructed while Frost went wild at UCF, which created even more pressure for Riley to wilt under as the season went on, and gave Frost and NU fans an even more inflated sense of his own abilities. A reeeeaaal clever bit of torture from the football gods...

David Webb

JCTJB
Elite Member
Obviously Turd can't coach, but my questions turns to: Is the Frost tenure different, or start different, if Turd was the one who hired Frost? Knowing what we know now about how Turd works.
What do we know now about how Turd works?

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Next to nothing other than the fact that he's unwilling or unable to fire people that need to be fired.
It was a missed opportunity not firing Frost after this past season since his recruiting class was nothing special. This years class probably won’t end up very good either when it’s all said and done. It’s just killing recruiting more for the future.

doublewing

Running Back
I thought year 1 would be difficult for Frost and NU, as it was. I expected to see improvement each year to the point where we would be competing for the West title in year 4 and have a top 15 program.

I own the fact that I loved him as a hire. I knew Riley would suck once we hired him and felt the opposite of Frost. Frost has been as bad or worse than Riley or any NU coach in the history books.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
If the end game was always for Frost to come home at some point, I always thought the best case scenario would've been for Riley to have another couple years of 7-9 wins and for Frost to work through some growing pains at UCF instead of instantly becoming such a hot commodity. Then Riley could've retired and handed the reins over to Frost in 2020 or whatever with a much healthier "culture" to work with and Frost wouldn't have bought into his own hype.

Instead we got the worst of all worlds, where Riley completely self-destructed while Frost went wild at UCF, which created even more pressure for Riley to wilt under as the season went on, and gave Frost and NU fans an even more inflated sense of his own abilities. A reeeeaaal clever bit of torture from the football gods...
I’ll always wonder about behind closed doors conversations cause if we don’t offer at that time in 2017, he’s either gone to another school or he’s signing a whopper extension with UCF, and the timing never works. If Mike Riley wins initially, he gets an extension and is here for who knows how long. Do we even care what Frost is doing at that point. I think fate aligned with the way it was supposed to. Looking back, however, I’d we get an actual play calling OC that thinks like Frost, and have be the CEO type, starting in 2018, I think things are different

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I’ll always wonder about behind closed doors conversations cause if we don’t offer at that time in 2017, he’s either gone to another school or he’s signing a whopper extension with UCF, and the timing never works. If Mike Riley wins initially, he gets an extension and is here for who knows how long. Do we even care what Frost is doing at that point. I think fate aligned with the way it was supposed to. Looking back, however, I’d we get an actual play calling OC that thinks like Frost, and have be the CEO type, starting in 2018, I think things are different
It appears the timing never working would have been a good thing. Maybe picking up as an OC after Tennessee or whoever he would have gone to shit cans him would have been the best thing.

BushAK

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
I’m sure this point has been made, but I surely didn’t think that we wouldn’t have a clue who we were on offense. I thought we’d have more questions on defense.
This is where I’m at. I don’t know what the mood is in Nebraska but I get the feeling that people no longer plan their Saturdays around the game. I’m not sure a new coach fixes that.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
I wanted them to see if they could pry Gundy from Oklahoma State. I love that guy. Damn good ball coach. Dan Mullen was another guy I thought they should pursue. I also thought Matt Campbell would have been a good choice. I thought a head coach at the power 5 level was important. I thought someone who had showed they could build in states that aren't recruiting meccas was important.

It's all hindsight now and you can't fault Moos for hiring a former national champion from Nebraska that had just gone undefeated at UCF. Likely the biggest issue was that they gave Frost too much power too early.

I actually understood why he brought his whole staff with him. They did all go undefeated together at UCF but that turned out to be the first in many big mistakes.

Gundy listened long and hard to Tennessee the same year we hired Frost. I think it was more them turning him down rather than him not wanting to leave. His sister lives in Lincoln and there might still be a window to pull him away.

If we make a move from Frost Gundy or Kiffin would be my first call and I’d make either turn down around 8-9 million per year if not more if I were Alberts. I’d then look at Campbell. Funny as I thought what Campbell did at ISU in 2017 (I’m on record saying this on RSS) was more impressive than what Frost did at UCF. The big thing that I worry about with Campbell is that nobody gives a damn in Ames if he wins or loses. It’s totally different when theres expectations. He really fell hard last year when he had those.

The problem is…. If we move on from Frost get use to the idea that Todd Monken will probably be our head coach. I’m not kidding either.

Boondock_St_Sker

That Dude
Elite Member
Said it before, I'll say it again. When Frost was hired I was over the moon excited. After watching that previous undefeated season with UCF, them beating Auburn like they did, that UCF offense looked AMAZING!!! Bring that shit here man!!! My daughter and I went to the 2018 Football 101 with Frost and all the 'new' assistants. I was in heaven, listening to Frost speak like this was the place to be, all my coaches are with me, we're going to turn this thing around, I know what it takes to win here, all the rah rah talk got my plums tinglin'. Got tickets for the first spring game and I was like Rick Flair...WOOOOOOOOOOO....let's do this!! Went to the now infamous Akron game. Should've known then that things were going to be turrible, what a way to start. First year didn't go as planned, and honestly, as we all know, neither has ANY year Frost has been here. after 2018, Mike Dawson leaves for the NFL, I get it, pension but was it a sign? After 2019 when Troy Walters leaving, Jovan Dewitt moving on...nope nothing to see here. 2020, the vegan weather man comes in and shits himself...I guess my point is, there has been so much change within the staff that I thought wouldn't happen.

Needless to say, the Kool-Aid that I've been drinking has been tainted but every year I drink it some more. Let's be honest, no matter how the Kool-Aid looks, it tastes like shit right now.

Like most of you on here, I thought we'd be winning MANY more games. I WANT the team to win MANY more games but ultimately what I want is a program that is respectable, I want to walk into the stadium knowing we are going to kick somebody's ass that day, I want a head coach that is revered among not just the coaches in the B1G but nationally...he was thought of as a great offensive mind once right? Is he still?

I think I'm just tired...tired of feeling like I've been lied to, tired of feeling like...here we go again, tired of paying good money to watch a shit team, tired of seeing the N represented in such a shit way, tired of hearing rumor after rumor of shit behavior from some of the staff in this program (HCSF), tired of knowing things SHOULD be better, tired of waiting for things TO get better. Day by Day used to be my motto...now it's more like 'call me when it's over'...

I'll be in the bathtub holding a plugged in toaster with wet hands....thanks for listening

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Gundy listened long and hard to Tennessee the same year we hired Frost. I think it was more them turning him down rather than him not wanting to leave. His sister lives in Lincoln and there might still be a window to pull him away.

If we make a move from Frost Gundy or Kiffin would be my first call and I’d make either turn down around 8-9 million per year if not more if I were Alberts. I’d then look at Campbell. Funny as I thought what Campbell did at ISU in 2017 (I’m on record saying this on RSS) was more impressive than what Frost did at UCF. The big thing that I worry about with Campbell is that nobody gives a damn in Ames if he wins or loses. It’s totally different when theres expectations. He really fell hard last year when he had those.

The problem is…. If we move on from Frost get use to the idea that Todd Monken will probably be our head coach. I’m not kidding either.
I don’t have any good reason for anyone to back this up, but for some reason I like the idea of Frost as HC and the face, but Todd Monken as OC and pulling all the strings. Like an Urban/Day combo but idk how much influence Urban had on the offense. You get it though. Don’t have a good reason, I just like it. Even after everything we know, I think Frost is a good face of the program

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
It appears the timing never working would have been a good thing. Maybe picking up as an OC after Tennessee or whoever he would have gone to shit cans him would have been the best thing.
God dammit you’re probably right

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds