Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

How did you hear about the 9/11 attacks? Where were you for the 2001 Rice game? (2 Viewers)

hothouse_corn

Wide Receiver
As we approach these anniversaries, what do you remember about 9/11 and the first NCAA football game after the terrorist attack?

I had an 8am TR class in Chase Hall on East Campus. The prof for the next class in the room came in and told us "They've got it real bad in New York City. Someone flew a Cessna into one of the world trade center towers," which is evidently what was on the news by 9:15am Central time. Needless to say, digesting the news on Fox and CNN the rest of the day told a far different story than a cessna.

For the Rice game, I was in class in Burnett Hall listening to all of the cheering and fireworks while learning about interpersonal communication. Attendance was mandatory and missing one of the 14 three-hour class meetings was a letter grade deduction. From what I've read, it was a great atmosphere and Crouch had a very efficient game. Also, it's crazy if true that it wasn't televised.

HuskerGarrett

If we die, we die
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
As we approach these anniversaries, what do you remember about 9/11 and the first NCAA football game after the terrorist attack?

I had an 8am TR class in Chase Hall on East Campus. The prof for the next class in the room came in and told us "They've got it real bad in New York City. Someone flew a Cessna into one of the world trade center towers," which is evidently what was on the news by 9:15am Central time. Needless to say, digesting the news on Fox and CNN the rest of the day told a far different story than a cessna.

For the Rice game, I was in class in Burnett Hall listening to all of the cheering and fireworks while learning about interpersonal communication. Attendance was mandatory and missing one of the 14 three-hour class meetings was a letter grade deduction. From what I've read, it was a great atmosphere and Crouch had a very efficient game. Also, it's crazy if true that it wasn't televised.
I was getting ready for school and my parents were watching it on tv.

Not sure on the Rice game

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
I just walked into my high school history class after 1st hour weights. Remember sitting down and there being some muffled chatter and some teachers scurrying around. Then our history teacher turned on the TV and we watched the horror unfold.

hothouse_corn

Wide Receiver
Only vaguely remember the Rice game.

I think it's possible that the game wasn't televised live, but widely covered by the sports media. At least that's what huskermax suggests.

I was in class learning how the hot girls had no interest in introverts like me, while the windows were open so we could hear the stadium reactions.

Goskers07

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
We were excused from school that day to go to Omaha for doctors appointments. I walked into the living room while waiting for my siblings to get dressed just in time to see the second tower get hit. I was 10, confused and scared. The rest of the day unfolded and we visited my aunt in Ralston just in time to watch Air Force One fly into Offut. It was low enough going over her house you could read the logos in the side.

As for Rice, I remember watching it all on TV.

pigsonthewing

Cornerback
In college, early 4 hour class so we had a break on the top of the hour every hour so it was the first break. Shooting the shit on smoke break we all noticed, "damn whats with all the planes landing?" Planes were everywhere in the sky. We got back inside and our Prof. was pale white, told us we are under attack, go home etc. Had a few buddies in class so we head to their apartment close by. Saw the 2nd one hit on live TV.

We thought this was armageddon, so we we're like "screw it, if we're gonna die we're gonna die with a head full of Lucy." So my buddies and I pretty much went on a 3 day bender. Fueled by adrenaline, alcohol, and illegal controlled substances, we were tryin out our best Hunter S. Thompson impressions. Wasn't the best idea really, it was one of the darkest trips I ever had.

Last edited:

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I was in 3rd grade. I don’t remember technically telling us anything significant or turning on the TVs but they sent the whole school home, K-6. We were pissed because it was almost recess time and it was big football playing months on the play ground and everyday was a big deal, so we couldn’t do that. I don’t remember a lot else to the day other than my parents being home in the afternoon, the tv on the news, and my dad not saying much. Me and him are still really close to this day so if he’s not talking then something is very wrong.

obviously learned and understood more as I got older.

no idea on the Rice game. Honestly have never seen a replay of the game or heard much about it until Shanle and Sharp were talking about it on the radio either yesterday or the day before. Knew about the tunnel walk but never actually seen or knew anything further about that game come to think about it.

doublewing

Running Back
I was a recent college graduate and was way too hungover at work. I was on a consulting assignment in Denver and went to the Giants/Denver game the night before.

I was listening to sports talk radio (JT the Brick) and he said something to the effect of, "some jackass ran his plane into the World Trade Center." So I went on CNN and there was just a picture of what looked like a small hole so I figured it was a Cessna. Then the next one hit and shit got real. The company we were working with just shut everything down since people were distracted. I went back to my hotel room to tend to my hangover and watch the events play out.

Saudi_aurora

2nd Place - Inaugural tPB Gif Tournament
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Wife just left for work, and I turned on the news after making some coffee and saw the first tower burning. Reports at that time were saying a possible small plane hit the building. Was kind of half paying attention because it looked like just a high rise fire of sorts. Then saw the second plane hit live. Couldn’t believe what I had just seen, and checked multiple times to make sure it was live and wasn’t a movie or something. Was in complete shock. Called the Mrs to tell her.

The Mrs and I went to that Rice game. Not a dry eye in the building when the police, firefighters and military personnel walked on the field. Getting shivers while I’m typing this. The whole thing was pretty surreal.

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
I was in high school and I'm pretty sure I watched most of it in my American Government class. My teacher was in the Army Reserve and was wondering aloud who would've been stupid enough to do something like that. Lots of kids had family that worked in the Pentagon so they were taking off early so a friend and I wandered out with them and watched the news back at his house.

I don't remember anything about the Rice game.

iruletheskool

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
Was in 5th grade. Watched the news all day. We had a substitute teacher that day and she had us take notes on everything that was happening (for ourselves in the future).

Only vaguely remember the Rice game.

Also 5th grade. I remember Sportscenter being interrupted before I walked to school. My dad had already gone to work. Didn't understand what was going on and thought it was weird that something could make the sports guys talk about something else.

Walked to school right after the 2nd plane hit cause it was time and I didn't know any better. They wheeled the tv cart into the room for the day, and I don't think the teachers were in the room much as the news played. Wish they would have had us take notes, that was a good idea.

Don't remember the Rice game, I watched football but it wasn't a big deal for me yet.

betsch

Safety
I was in pharmacy school at the time. I got up and watched the news and the 1st tower had been hit. We all watched just wondering WTF, we thought it was an accident. Went to class and hear the 2nd one got hit. Then we knew something was up. Absolutely horrible.

I went to the Rice game, and it was one of the most emotional games I've been to. But the energy in the stadium was AWESOME! I'm so glad I went.

On a side note, was that the game that was played on a Thursday or something like that? It seems like it was pushed back or something, but maybe that was another game???

HCFord1

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
Was in English class during my soph year of high school. Kid came into the class and told us that a plane had crashed into the WTC, but our teacher didn't get a TV out or anything and that was all that we knew for a while. I remember naively imagining that it was some small personal plane and that it had basically ricocheted off and crashed to the ground.

5 years ago when we first moved to the NYC area, we went to ground zero on the 15th anniversary. It's hard to even understand the full human impact without being there at some point and seeing the memorials that people leave for loved ones and actually encountering all of the people who were personally impacted by the attacks. I obviously always recognized that it was a horrible, tragic event, but that day definitely left a lasting impression.

Regarding the Rice game, I feel like I was probably there but I honestly don't remember much. I vaguely remember being excited to be at the first game coming back from that.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds