Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Where did you TRUTHFULLY think we would be in Year 5 of the Frost Era? (1 Viewer)

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Soon we'll have a HALF DECADE of Coach Frost at Nebraska. His time here has felt surprisingly fast and agonizingly slow at the same time (kinda like watching Adrian Martinez play QB). Anyway, it goes without saying that the Frost era has been a gigantic disappointment so far. But I’m curious, if you can put yourself back in your 2017-18 mindset, how did you think things were going to play out? There has been a lot of talk ever since he came here that “he needs time to build from scratch” and “he’s going to have a long runway.” What did the long runway look like at that time in your opinion?

In all of the talk of a 5 year rebuild from the bottom up, I NEVER took that to mean it would take 5 years to actually start to see tangible W/L progress. I don't think anyone did. I figured by 2022 we would more or less be "back." Maybe not to a championship level, but to a level where we had our systems figured out, our depth chart was in competent shape, players knew their duties like the back of their hand, and we were winning all the games we were "supposed to" win as we contended for the West. Basically, Bo-level winning percentages but with an actual healthy program built from great coaching and a modern culture underneath the record.

Can we make a big enough jump to make those expectations a reality in year 5? I highly doubt it. The past four years have looked NOTHING like I thought they would. If you told me in spring 2018 that we would ever have a losing season under Frost (let alone FOUR STRAIGHT) I would think you were nuts. But here we are witnessing what is so far one of the biggest coaching faceplants in college football history. NU Frost hasn't even seemed like the same person as UCF Frost. It's bizarro world. All that being said, I’m still rooting for things to miraculously come together… I can't even imagine how much fun it would be to have a 2017 UCF type team in Lincoln led by a (formerly?) beloved Husker. But I’m not even dreaming of reaching those heights yet, I just want to see competency and a healthy foundation. That’s all I ever expected by 2022. The fact that those meager standards still feel so far away is kinda shocking in the grand scheme of things.

I doubt any of our expectations came true for the first four seasons. In year 5 I'm just praying for divine intervention from the football gods, and hoping to see Frost wake up and show signs of life.

zxZYWxv.jpeg

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Soon we'll have a HALF DECADE of Coach Frost at Nebraska. His time here has felt surprisingly fast and agonizingly slow at the same time (kinda like watching Adrian Martinez play QB). Anyway, it goes without saying that the Frost era has been a gigantic disappointment so far. But I’m curious, if you can put yourself back in your 2017-18 mindset, how did you think things were going to play out? There has been a lot of talk ever since he came here that “he needs time to build from scratch” and “he’s going to have a long runway.” What did the long runway look like at that time in your opinion?

In all of the talk of a 5 year rebuild from the bottom up, I NEVER took that to mean it would take 5 years to actually start to see tangible W/L progress. I don't think anyone did. I figured by 2022 we would more or less be "back." Maybe not to a championship level, but to a level where we had our systems figured out, our depth chart was in competent shape, players knew their duties like the back of their hand, and we were winning all the games we were "supposed to" win as we contended for the West. Basically, Bo-level winning percentages but with an actual healthy program built from great coaching and a modern culture underneath the record.

Can we make a big enough jump to make those expectations a reality in year 5? I highly doubt it. The past four years have looked NOTHING like I thought they would. If you told me in spring 2018 that we would ever have a losing season under Frost (let alone FOUR STRAIGHT) I would think you were nuts. But here we are witnessing what is so far one of the biggest coaching faceplants in college football history. NU Frost hasn't even seemed like the same person as UCF Frost. It's bizarro world. All that being said, I’m still rooting for things to miraculously come together… I can't even imagine how much fun it would be to have a 2017 UCF type team in Lincoln led by a (formerly?) beloved Husker. But I’m not even dreaming of reaching those heights yet, I just want to see competency and a healthy foundation. That’s all I ever expected by 2022. The fact that those meager standards still feel so far away is kinda shocking in the grand scheme of things.

I doubt any of our expectations came true for the first four seasons. In year 5 I'm just praying for divine intervention from the football gods, and hoping to see Frost wake up and show signs of life.

zxZYWxv.jpeg
The top program in the west and competing for BIG titles. I thought Frost would get to 8-9 wins by year 2 and capitalize in recruiting off of it and add a ton of legit skill guys.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
By now I thought we would have just missed out on the CFP last year, and the next jump was getting into the CFP, which I thought was this year or next, back in 2018. In a perfect world, I thought by Year 7, we would be playing for a natty again. I remember reading in certain places that there was a chance that Frost wouldn't finish his coaching career here, and that he would turn a once again winning program over to I think it was Coach Held at the time due to him also bein an alumni. Then Frost would do a "one last time" somewhere else. I remember there also being chatter after 2018 on RSS about concerns of possibly losing him to the NFL as an OC. Feels like a lifetime ago.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Year 1: flip the culture, no expectations.
Year 2: Make a bowl
Year 3: 9-10 wins
Year 4: win the Big West
Pretty much the same for me
1. Run out the riff raff, be serviceable in what you can control
2. Make a Bowl
3. Win 8
4. Win West
5. NOT SUCK A FAT FUCKING BAG OF DICKS LIKE WE'RE GOING TO

Last edited:

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds