Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Where did you TRUTHFULLY think we would be in Year 5 of the Frost Era? (2 Viewers)

YankeesJunkie

Linebacker
Certainly thought Nebraska would be back as a top 15 or top 20 team heading into Year 5, Frost had the credentials and the type of offense he would run would be fun. To my shock, Frost has shit the bed multiple times with the offense and the defense has exceeded my expectations.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
I just don't understand that logic. You're essentially saying you'd rather have three wins a year with Frost than win 6+ every year with some other guy.

I’m saying I’d error on the side of giving a guy with high end potential more time before I’d hire a guy who’s going to put a clear ceiling on the program that’s well below expectations.

The expectation at Nebraska is to compete nationally. Hiring a dude who goes “3 plus 3” or ends up being the 4-5th best in the conference would be failure especially with what TV revenue we’ll be making.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
If you're assuming we'd run the flexbone, then maybe. I'm not.

I don’t think he would. If we move on from Frost and the TV deal ends up being what we think, there’s no reason Nebraska can’t pay upwards of 8 million for the right guy. If we move on from Frost I’ll be in the “throw money at it till it works” camp.

I don’t think Monken would be the right choice.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
I don’t think he would. If we move on from Frost and the TV deal ends up being what we think, there’s no reason Nebraska can’t pay upwards of 8 million for the right guy. If we move on from Frost I’ll be in the “throw money at it till it works” camp.

I don’t think Monken would be the right choice.
If we're playing the throw money at someone, then just sell our souls and throw enough at Urban Meyer.

If we're not playing that game. Monken is a great coach. I know one poster mentioned his offensive/ST experience, but he's well known for his defenses at Army and culture building. That's my personal choice if you want to "fix" this.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
If we're playing the throw money at someone, then just sell our souls and throw enough at Urban Meyer.

If we're not playing that game. Monken is a great coach. I know one poster mentioned his offensive/ST experience, but he's well known for his defenses at Army and culture building. That's my personal choice if you want to "fix" this.

If we move on, I think you’ll get your wish before I get mine.

DrinkItIn

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG
I’m saying I’d error on the side of giving a guy with high end potential more time before I’d hire a guy who’s going to put a clear ceiling on the program that’s well below expectations.

The expectation at Nebraska is to compete nationally. Hiring a dude who goes “3 plus 3” or ends up being the 4-5th best in the conference would be failure especially with what TV revenue we’ll be making.

I totally get yore point, but why does Frost have a more "high-end potential" than somebody else? Just basing that off his 1 year at UCF? 5 years is a lot of time in CFB, right?

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I totally get yore point, but why does Frost have a more "high-end potential" than somebody else? Just basing that off his 1 year at UCF? 5 years is a lot of time in CFB, right?
This was what Lattimer told me in another thread

For me personally, I think it's a combination of a few things.
#1 - The media loves him when he's done well - recruiting, start to improve here, it'll be noticed.
#2 - The stuff they do on offense is good, he knows it, it's good stuff - but it's been shit here for a variety of reasons, mostly OL play, Turnovers, and QB reads IMO.
#3 - I think last year showed that despite an epic bed shitting in games, they can compete with everyone.

I've listened to him several times talking football, both offense, defense, tackling. It's good stuff. If, and a big if, they can turn that shit around and quit the epic bed shitting, I don't see why they can't compete at those levels of Pelini teams, but not get the doors blown off them in big games.

doublewing

Running Back
I'm no longer fooled by the Scott Frost BS. He has horrible leadership skills and most of his program has atrophied over time. If Nebraska schemes up a good play against Michigan they make him out to be a wizard when opposing coaches do the same to NU every week. Any excuses regarding personnel ring hollow after you've been here long enough to put the pieces in place.

He's in over his head, he isn't going to magically get better in year 5 as a HC and leader, and we've witnessed his ceiling at UCF.

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member

doublewing

Running Back
Yes. And it’s quite high.

I can’t wait to hear the arguments explaining why Frost going undefeated at UCF doesn’t matter

I wish his success at UCF translated to success here. I thought it would even going into the 2019 season but we have 4 years of his program to know what we have. He's been given enough time to build something and we're reliant upon assistant coaching changes and a few transfer skill players to flip things.

2017 UCF would matter if we saw any resemblance of that success here but we have not. 2 big things I wanted to see when I was following that team: (1) an offense that is balanced, puts up points, and keeps teams off balance and (2) the swagger and confidence he and his UCF teams had. On #1, we've determined in year 5 we need a new OC and on #2, Frost looks like a man defeated.

Irv

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
This was what Lattimer told me in another thread

For me personally, I think it's a combination of a few things.
#1 - The media loves him when he's done well - recruiting, start to improve here, it'll be noticed.
#2 - The stuff they do on offense is good, he knows it, it's good stuff - but it's been shit here for a variety of reasons, mostly OL play, Turnovers, and QB reads IMO.
#3 - I think last year showed that despite an epic bed shitting in games, they can compete with everyone.

I've listened to him several times talking football, both offense, defense, tackling. It's good stuff. If, and a big if, they can turn that shit around and quit the epic bed shitting, I don't see why they can't compete at those levels of Pelini teams, but not get the doors blown off them in big games.

I really wonder if #1 is still true. Again, we have exactly one example of him being successful, so it's a small sample size and UCF was a pretty unique story.

But more than that, his persona with the media has totally gone to shit. There are lots of fans who seem to love him being terrible in press conferences, but it's not going to get you get good coverage. I would find very hard to believe that the last 4 years of barely tolerating being asked a question won't handicap a return to media darling status.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I really wonder if #1 is still true. Again, we have exactly one example of him being successful, so it's a small sample size and UCF was a pretty unique story.

But more than that, his persona with the media has totally gone to shit. There are lots of fans who seem to love him being terrible in press conferences, but it's not going to get you get good coverage. I would find very hard to believe that the last 4 years of barely tolerating being asked a question won't handicap a return to media darling status.
I'm not Lattimer, but I would make a distinction between the local and national media. IF frost were to turn it around, he would start getting a lot of positive coverage from the national media because it is a great story that a former player worked through the early struggles to achieve greatness as a coach. Really it parallels his career as a player in lots of ways.

The local media is largely irrelevant in their views of him or their hurty feels, mostly because they never have an incentive to go too hard on him because Nebraska sports are the only game in town.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
I wish his success at UCF translated to success here. I thought it would even going into the 2019 season but we have 4 years of his program to know what we have. He's been given enough time to build something and we're reliant upon assistant coaching changes and a few transfer skill players to flip things.

2017 UCF would matter if we saw any resemblance of that success here but we have not. 2 big things I wanted to see when I was following that team: (1) an offense that is balanced, puts up points, and keeps teams off balance and (2) the swagger and confidence he and his UCF teams had. On #1, we've determined in year 5 we need a new OC and on #2, Frost looks like a man defeated.

I’m not going to argue with these points. What id argue with is the idea that hiring a dude like Monken is the answer if we choose to move on.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG

I'm not Lattimer, but I would make a distinction between the local and national media. IF frost were to turn it around, he would start getting a lot of positive coverage from the national media because it is a great story that a former player worked through the early struggles to achieve greatness as a coach. Really it parallels his career as a player in lots of ways.

The local media is largely irrelevant in their views of him or their hurty feels, mostly because they never have an incentive to go too hard on him because Nebraska sports are the only game in town.
Yeah, that's what I meant...national media. They'll quickly fall back in love with Frost if he's able to show any resemblance of turning it around. They want eyeballs, and if gloating over Frost will get the rabid Nebraska base to watch more...they'll do it.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
What are you against with Monken? I'm curious.

My thing is if we move on from Frost I don’t want us to take a shot on a guy who we don’t really have any idea if he could meet expectations here.

Monken is probably a good coach and maybe he could do it. Id like us to not spend Big Ten level money on a maybe is all.

To add, I’m not against Monken individually. I’m more against hiring someone in this category if that makes sense.

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
My thing is if we move on from Frost I don’t want us to take a shot on a guy who we don’t really have any idea if he could meet expectations here.

Monken is probably a good coach and maybe he could do it. Id like us to not spend Big Ten level money on a maybe is all.

To add, I’m not against Monken individually. I’m more against hiring someone in this category if that makes sense.
You wouldn't have to break the bank for a 'solid' type of hire like Monken.

I don't buy the 'meet expectations' argument either. Clearly there are NO expectations given how Frost has survived this long.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds