Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

"Tumultuous Offseason"

with Frost and Austin, you have to wonder if Austin gave up on working with Frost when he wanted to move Cam to Guard but Frost told him “No”, had anything to do with this, if True .. My buddy also told me that there’s been a lot of internal fighting between Frost and his staff and Frost has pretty much “lost” a lot of them ..

Interesting if true...I wonder why he has "lost" them? Not sure any of these guys would have ever been given a chance at this level w/o Frost? Although, maybe he has "lost" them b/c they see that their offense is complete dog shit and perhaps Frost doesn't like anyone who challenges his handling of the offense.....who knows?

Interesting if true...I wonder why he has "lost" them? Not sure any of these guys would have ever been given a chance at this level w/o Frost? Although, maybe he has "lost" them b/c they see that their offense is complete dog shit and perhaps Frost doesn't like anyone who challenges his handling of the offense.....who knows?

Yeah possibly. Was told that SF is an egomaniac and thinks he's the smartest guy in the room at all times .. who knows how true that is and to what extent .. but it may rub assistants the wrong way.

I really don't want another situation like we had with Bo where he controlled and micromanaged his staff to the point where it was detrimental to on the field play. but we may be seeing some of that here. I really hope that is not the case. The optimal situation would be for HCSF to delegate to COMPETENT assistants and let them do their job. Maybe he's starting to regret that maybe bringing his entire staff with him wasn't such a good idea ?

Curious, and I know I've asked and touched on this before, but could the riff between Frost and Austin be because Austin wants more of that old school Husker running attack while Frost wants the new school Oregon? New school Oregon isn't working great, Frost is forcing it, and pushing people out the door because of it......?

Yeah possibly. Was told that SF is an egomaniac and thinks he's the smartest guy in the room at all times .. who knows how true that is and to what extent .. but it may rub assistants the wrong way.

I really don't want another situation like we had with Bo where he controlled and micromanaged his staff to the point where it was detrimental to on the field play. but we may be seeing some of that here. I really hope that is not the case. The optimal situation would be for HCSF to delegate to COMPETENT assistants and let them do their job. Maybe he's starting to regret that maybe bringing his entire staff with him wasn't such a good idea ?
One of the realities is we usually never know what the deal is and when we do it’s into the successor coach’s tenure.

I think we heard about the shit show the Riley years were only a couple months into the SF tenure. Part of me always wondered how much of that was a PR push and how much was accurate. I’m sure much of it was, but squatgate always sounded ridiculous.

No program is free of friction behind the scenes. Hopefully whatever is up in North Stadium pales in comparisons to staffs past. Need Frost to be successful.

One of the realities is we usually never know what the deal is and when we do it’s into the successor coach’s tenure.

I think we heard about the shit show the Riley years were only a couple months into the SF tenure. Part of me always wondered how much of that was a PR push and how much was accurate. I’m sure much of it was, but squatgate always sounded ridiculous.

No program is free of friction behind the scenes. Hopefully whatever is up in North Stadium pales in comparisons to staffs past. Need Frost to be successful.
In my opinion, I think squatgate was very real. I was always of the opinion, especially our lineman, that we looked fat, out of shape, and small and lunch lady arm like in the areas of the body we shouldn't have been. Not saying they didn't lift, but there's a difference between lifting, and lifting like a power 5 football player who wants to make it to the next level.

In my opinion, I think squatgate was very real. I was always of the opinion, especially our lineman, that we looked fat, out of shape, and small and lunch lady arm like in the areas of the body we shouldn't have been. Not saying they didn't lift, but there's a difference between lifting, and lifting like a power 5 football player who wants to make it to the next level.
Fair, I think the rhetoric was that we weren’t lifting or weren’t even squatting which was obviously ridiculous.

The staff letting players slide and not lift or miss sessions seemed closer to the truth. Think there were definite lackadaisical vibes around S&C.

Has anyone come away from a game in the past 2 years being impressed by the OL play? We can’t block IZ/OZ. Whatever you think of Frost, that’s a big indictment on OL coaching and development.
I think the majority of Austin's goodwill has derived from:

1. Recruiting - the results here have been really solid
2. Ohio State - we looked like a strong unit against a really good team. Unfortunately as the year has progressed it's looking more like we're an average OL unit and Ohio State has its least disruptive DL in years.
3. He's a great interview

I still wouldn't be happy about losing Austin, and given how much he clearly loves Nebraska I think it would be an indictment of Frost if Austin chooses to leave on his own.

I am inclined to believe that:

1. Frost probably is the smartest guy in the room
2. Part of the reason why Frost is the smartest guy in the room is because most of his assistants are mediocre
3. Frost genuinely cares about his assistants
4. Frost knows that they aren't capable of getting it done and he has to shit can them
5. Frost probably regrets bringing them here and he is mad at himself for the fucked situation he has put himself
6. Combine the above with the immense pressure of his job and all of the other shit that has transpired and he is probably losing his mind

I am inclined to believe that:

1. Frost probably is the smartest guy in the room
2. Part of the reason why Frost is the smartest guy in the room is because most of his assistants are mediocre
3. Frost genuinely cares about his assistants
4. Frost knows that they aren't capable of getting it done and he has to shit can them
5. Frost probably regrets bringing them here and he is mad at himself for the fucked situation he has put himself
6. Combine the above with the immense pressure of his job and all of the other shit that has transpired and he is probably losing his mind
I think we can all agree that #1 is not the ideal situation to be in if true.

Fair, I think the rhetoric was that we weren’t lifting or weren’t even squatting which was obviously ridiculous.

The staff letting players slide and not lift or miss sessions seemed closer to the truth. Think there were definite lackadaisical vibes around S&C.
Right. I believe at that time, the S&C coach was a big believer in front squats to basically do safer squats. Differing opinions on the results of those but you basically can't squat nearly as heavy with a front squat as you can a back squat. The whole program was essentially not nearly as hardcore as Duval's and that just honestly creates a weak mindset.

Are any changes to a staff that went 4-8, 5-7, 2-5 really that devastating? Not trying to be a tater, but my feelings won’t be hurt with some changes. Something obviously isn’t working with this program

with Frost and Austin, you have to wonder if Austin gave up on working with Frost when he wanted to move Cam to Guard but Frost told him “No”, had anything to do with this, if True .. My buddy also told me that there’s been a lot of internal fighting between Frost and his staff and Frost has pretty much “lost” a lot of them ..
Considering there was the promotion to run game coordinator and the article about Austin wanting to have some identity runs. That’s not a stretch. Austin is a good recruiter. And I think he’s a solid coach from my limited time seeing him in action at the coaches clinics.

Has anyone come away from a game in the past 2 years being impressed by the OL play? We can’t block IZ/OZ. Whatever you think of Frost, that’s a big indictment on OL coaching and development.
Some of that IMO comes from the top down. The OL coach is going to block up the design of the play based on what the offense is designed around.

But it is concerning obviously not being great at IZ. And their OZ isn’t really and OZ IMO. It’s more mid zone based on the tracks of the OL and where the RB typically cuts.

plus they run a shit ton of schemes. That’s a lot to teach and try and be proficient at. IMO it’s the most technical position with the most variance and variables in any given play. The shear amount of shit a single OL has to deal with would probably blow most peoples minds. Then having to apply the rules. Execute with fundamentals. And then remember any specific play variance that requires a few OL to do a different job compared to what they normally do within the scheme. All of the sudden you’ve got more schemes essentially in a world where typically less is more. It’s be different if they ran 2-3 schemes and had tags to change a job. But they have a ton. IZ, MZ, draw, power, P&P, Down/G, Short Trap. That’s 7 run schemes. Plus the variances on power and IZ. Plus the slow screen. Plus the pass pro schemes. If Austin is frustrated by this. It’s definitely warranted.

Some of that IMO comes from the top down. The OL coach is going to block up the design of the play based on what the offense is designed around.

But it is concerning obviously not being great at IZ. And their OZ isn’t really and OZ IMO. It’s more mid zone based on the tracks of the OL and where the RB typically cuts.

plus they run a shit ton of schemes. That’s a lot to teach and try and be proficient at. IMO it’s the most technical position with the most variance and variables in any given play. The shear amount of shit a single OL has to deal with would probably blow most peoples minds. Then having to apply the rules. Execute with fundamentals. And then remember any specific play variance that requires a few OL to do a different job compared to what they normally do within the scheme. All of the sudden you’ve got more schemes essentially in a world where typically less is more. It’s be different if they ran 2-3 schemes and had tags to change a job. But they have a ton. IZ, MZ, draw, power, P&P, Down/G, Short Trap. That’s 7 run schemes. Plus the variances on power and IZ. Plus the slow screen. Plus the pass pro schemes. If Austin is frustrated by this. It’s definitely warranted.
So essentially what you're saying is, the scheme and the offense is just too much?

There's being the smartest guy in the room and then being an effective smartest guy in the room. The effective one turns over every stone to try to change his status of being the smartest guy in the room. Otherwise, he just ends up shitting all over himself and doesn't realize how much the room smells like shit...and all of a sudden all his smarts don't matter and have gone to great waste...er, shit.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back