Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Yard Care (1 Viewer)

Huskersballz

Running Back
Elite Member
I got some bald spots I need to reseed in my front yard. Would it be a good idea to throw some seed down before the rain/snow we are about to get in Omaha or should I wait until it gets a bit warmer?

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Anyone in the Omaha area planning on mowing this week? Grass is getting long, weekend rain is going to make it shoot up even more. A lot of dadding for me this week as the wife is headed outta town for a few days. Thinking Thursday might be my earliest chance at this point.

Frogsker30

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
question for the body: I have a really small yard (Takes 20 minutes to mow front and back with a push mover) I have been using Sunday products because they make custom plans for each yard type and size. I am getting a puppy and want to make sure my fertilizer is doggo safe. Does anyone have any recs?

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Mowed on Sunday
Put down fert and preemergent today

Sexy Construction Equipment GIF by Bobcat Company

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Mower is getting a service this week. Second legit mow coming up this weekend. Need to tweak with my trimmer a little bit, the string I got from Home Depot is horrible for the second year in a row and I'm going to start using STIHL specific 50:1 fuel. Grass Pad Prevent went down last week, sprinklers get turned on in a week and a half, spot sprayed some dandelions the other night, shits lookin Masters Greeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Scott Hall

Defensive Lineman
Elite Member
Mower is getting a service this week. Second legit mow coming up this weekend. Need to tweak with my trimmer a little bit, the string I got from Home Depot is horrible for the second year in a row and I'm going to start using STIHL specific 50:1 fuel. Grass Pad Prevent went down last week, sprinklers get turned on in a week and a half, spot sprayed some dandelions the other night, shits lookin Masters Greeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Please don’t tell me you’re paying someone to turn your sprinklers on for you. It is so easy. I understand if they are going to make adjustments to the spray patterns but turning them on is a flip of a couple of valves.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Please don’t tell me you’re paying someone to turn your sprinklers on for you. It is so easy. I understand if they are going to make adjustments to the spray patterns but turning them on is a flip of a couple of valves.
I was going to pay my install company, yes. Maybe in the future, I'll do it myself, but nowhere near confident enough. I was planning to watch though. I wouldn't need help with adjusting. Had a DIY inground with PVC pipe for 3 years and busted plenty of those heads making adjustments, that's easy.

jaihawk

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Got the first mow of the year in last Friday. Trimmed, edged, mowed, then put down the first step of my 5 step program from Nebraska Landscape Solutions, then turned on the sprinklers and watered it in good. Yard is looking really nice. My two friends across the street gave me a hard time on Saturday that their wives were bitching at them about needing to take care of the yard that weekend because mine looked so nice. They said, "there went our weekend plans!!!". It's crazy what a difference using the good stuff makes. Early March, I took a picture of the lot line between my house and the neighbor to the south (who uses a service). My side was nice and green and theirs looked dead.

1HuskerDad

Defensive Coordinator
This is a good Nebraska FB group that I check out with some good tips on lawn care and people providing feedback on questions.
I am not one of those guys taking pics of their lawn stripes though 😉

5539DC18-E0E6-420F-804D-270235DA4CF6.jpeg

Toe

Wide Receiver
Three weeks later, I've finally finished off that pile of mulch. Shit's a pain in the ass, loading wheelbarrow after wheelbarrow and spreading it out. My back is glad it's over, lol. But between this truckload and the load I did in fall, I now have a nice wide strip of mulch running pretty much all the way around my half acre yard. Now to get back to planting trees...

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Three weeks later, I've finally finished off that pile of mulch. Shit's a pain in the ass, loading wheelbarrow after wheelbarrow and spreading it out. My back is glad it's over, lol. But between this truckload and the load I did in fall, I now have a nice wide strip of mulch running pretty much all the way around my half acre yard. Now to get back to planting trees...
I have 8 medium-ish sized trees lining my sidewalk and backyard fence that I was going to mulch up in probably mid May. Used to hate mulching, but very much appreciate it now days. Got lazy with it and skipped last year due to the sprinkler system getting installed in early summer, but looking forward to that in about a month. Does wonders

Toe

Wide Receiver
Yeah, in the long-term, getting all that organic material in there does wonders for the soil. And in the short term, it helps regulate temperature and moisture levels for the roots and reduces competition from weeds. It's a lot closer to how things work in nature, too, as old plants die and are broken down to become food for new ones.

Just don't be one of those shitty landscapers who piles mulch up against the trunk of the tree. You see it all the time in parking lots and stuff, and it is 100% the wrong way to do it.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Yeah, in the long-term, getting all that organic material in there does wonders for the soil. And in the short term, it helps regulate temperature and moisture levels for the roots and reduces competition from weeds. It's a lot closer to how things work in nature, too, as old plants die and are broken down to become food for new ones.

Just don't be one of those shitty landscapers who piles mulch up against the trunk of the tree. You see it all the time in parking lots and stuff, and it is 100% the wrong way to do it.
Nope, my OCD forces me to get it all smooth and even. Lots of monotonous circles

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds