Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Yard Care (1 Viewer)

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
How’s everyone’s yards looking so far early spring? Storms over The Weekend made my grass jump and super hydrated. Wife and I mowed tonight and it is green as can be and looking sharp. Got a round of early spring fertilizer down a few weeks ago, will be putting the late spring down at the end of May. Unofficially competing with my neighbor across the street and another down the street a few houses, their yards are normally fantastic year in and year out. Just need to get the water going here real soon.

The Bearded One

Safety
Elite Member
Fertilizer down 10 days ago, crabgrass and weed control put on. Turned the sprinkler system on for a full gushing a week ago. Got .40 tenths of rain Friday night. Looks good, gonna have to mow this weekend at the latest.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Got a couple bare spots that I’m hoping to come to life this year with consistent water. Gonna use my poor man’s underground system again this year but I’m considering paying the big check for a real deal underground system next year

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
I'm the odd old man with a perfect lawn that actually encourages the neighborhood kids to play on the grass. That’s what it’s for.

I do have one rule, though: stay out of the landscaping. I have to explain this rule to new kids. Once. Then the other kids become my enforcers. They know.

BingoDingo

Absolute Idiot
Got a couple bare spots that I’m hoping to come to life this year with consistent water. Gonna use my poor man’s underground system again this year but I’m considering paying the big check for a real deal underground system next year
We have a pressurized line and it springs a leak like 2-3 times a year. I ended up rage capping the front line because was I was lazy and emotionally unstable after seeing another pool of water in our front yard. It's great!

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
We have a pressurized line and it springs a leak like 2-3 times a year. I ended up rage capping the front line because was I was lazy and emotionally unstable after seeing another pool of water in our front yard. It's great!
When my in laws moved into their new house last year, one of their underground heads kept leaking, and would soak the sidewalk every day. My father and brother in law dug up and fixed like 3 along the sidewalk, but it didn’t do anything. Maintenance comes and their verdict was “that’s just how these heads are” he didn’t love that

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I'm the odd old man with a perfect lawn that actually encourages the neighborhood kids to play on the grass. That’s what it’s for.

I do have one rule, though: stay out of the landscaping. I have to explain this rule to new kids. Once. Then the other kids become my enforcers. They know.
My uncle was the guy back in the day who hated people walking on his grass. Naturally, i walked on it and we played football on it as kids.

Fast forward to tonight, my daughter is walking her new pedal less bike through the yard as we’re mowing and trimming, my first 2 thoughts were:

1. Ah shit, tire tracks in the yard

2. Ah shit, I’m old since that was my first thought

Of course, I let her keep enjoying herself lol

1HuskerDad

Defensive Coordinator
I had a lot of yard repair to do last year from where it was. Yard looks so much better to start this year. Probably 80% of where I would like it but can’t complain since I have a huge yard. Fighting the sand that accumulates on the grass next to the curb from the winter. That’s a battle to and is where the weeds start it seems. Spent 15 minutes tonight on those spots and and will put soil conditioner down this week after I mow and then overseed the bare spots. Ready with my spot spray to attack the rogue dandelions that pop up elsewhere too!

Put over 30 bags of mulch down so far and probably need another 15 at least to finish the flower beds.

jaihawk

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Mine is looking great. If you're in Lincoln, hit up Scott Goes at Nebraska Landscape Solutions. He sells to the big guys but will sell you a 5 step program for $200 that puts pretty much anything else to shame.

Toe

Wide Receiver
Trying to convert my lawn from an old St. Augustine to tall fescue. I seeded the front lawn in fall, but I did it a couple weeks late, and then of course we get hit with an early frost which makes it go dormant, and then the freeze around Christmas hurt it bad. The parts close to the house are fine, guess the warmth of the house helped. But a lot of the rest hasn't really done any growing yet, and I have my doubts that it'll recover enough to survive the summer.

I'm also getting started on a mixed privacy hedge that will go most of the way around my property. Kinda going batty trying to figure out what will be OK to plant around my septic field. I feel like I could write a damn essay at this point, so I'll spare you the brain dump, lol.

Also planning to have a truckload of dirt brought in to do some land grading in the back yard. After I cleared the old grass, I realized just how bad it was. Holes from old tree stumps, holes from old fenceposts, holes where the previous owner's dog liked to dig, and spots that need to be graded away from the foundation for drainage.

2010sarenevercoming

5 Star Punter
Elite Member
I've got preemergent down, yard is a little spottier than I hoped after overseeding last fall.

I've got a small project to do around our back patio - the dirt is a little higher than the concrete, and water pools at the edge. Hoping to do a little more than remove dirt- anyone done a French drain or something similar for edge drainage?

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
When my in laws moved into their new house last year, one of their underground heads kept leaking, and would soak the sidewalk every day. My father and brother in law dug up and fixed like 3 along the sidewalk, but it didn’t do anything. Maintenance comes and their verdict was “that’s just how these heads are” he didn’t love that
Get different heads

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds