Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Spring Yard Care (1 Viewer)

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Question for the board. Got some Spring yard care plans in the works and need some advice. My wife's dog is a golden doodle and has done a number on some spots in the yard due the rabbits around me. She loves to dig around the shed and along the fence line in certain spots. Generally speaking, the winter hasn't been great to the grass either. So, my questions is, sod or grass seed? Did some product research over the weekend, and right now it seems sod is the better choice for the position I'm in. Could be considered more "patching" for what I'm trying to do. Anybody had better luck with either? Reviews on Fescue grass seed are simply more bad than good from what I found.

Preciate the responses

#HBD

Safety
Elite Member
Question for the board. Got some Spring yard care plans in the works and need some advice. My wife's dog is a golden doodle and has done a number on some spots in the yard due the rabbits around me. She loves to dig around the shed and along the fence line in certain spots. Generally speaking, the winter hasn't been great to the grass either. So, my questions is, sod or grass seed? Did some product research over the weekend, and right now it seems sod is the better choice for the position I'm in. Could be considered more "patching" for what I'm trying to do. Anybody had better luck with either? Reviews on Fescue grass seed are simply more bad than good from what I found.

Preciate the responses
Back yard or front yard? If fences in back yard, go synthetic all day— if front, sod.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Back yard or front yard? If fences in back yard, go synthetic all day— if front, sod.
Back yard. To try and paint a picture, there's about an 8 ft area between my shed and fence that the dog has gotten too pretty good. Still grassy, but it's just obvious it's been dug at. And then a few patches along that same fence line next to the shed. A couple other spots I'll most likely put sod down from past yard projects. Just trying to get the smooth and efficient look I can.

#HBD

Safety
Elite Member
Back yard. To try and paint a picture, there's about an 8 ft area between my shed and fence that the dog has gotten too pretty good. Still grassy, but it's just obvious it's been dug at. And then a few patches along that same fence line next to the shed. A couple other spots I'll most likely put sod down from past yard projects. Just trying to get the smooth and efficient look I can.
I’m telling you from a long term standpoint, just do your entire back yard in synthetic turf unless you’re looking at 5,000+ sq feet or more.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I’m telling you from a long term standpoint, just do your entire back yard in synthetic turf unless you’re looking at 5,000+ sq feet or more.
I'll tell you what that synthetic does look pretty damn good. That could work well when it gets stupid hot in the Nebraska summers

#HBD

Safety
Elite Member
I'll tell you what that synthetic does look pretty damn good. That could work well when it gets stupid hot in the Nebraska summers
Yeah it’s fantastic with the heat down here in Dallas. No mud & great drainage with the dog is key too.

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I would locate a window in the house that you can open the screen from. I would then buy a nice pellet gun and shoot the rabbits.
I lived in NW Lincoln for a couple years and had maybe a 2000sq ft back yard at best. Newer area so very few shrubs and I still shot 28 rabbits in one summer.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I would locate a window in the house that you can open the screen from. I would then buy a nice pellet gun and shoot the rabbits.
I lived in NW Lincoln for a couple years and had maybe a 2000sq ft back yard at best. Newer area so very few shrubs and I still shot 28 rabbits in one summer.
Ooooooo good call. Our bedroom window literally sits right over the shed. Bingo Bango Bongo

DuckSker

RedSeaFarts=Sandalwood
Elite Member
Fall is best for seeding. I missed the window last fall so am gonna go one more summer and seed the fuck out of it next fall

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
it’s way too early in Nebraska to do anything with the lawn, anybody who says otherwise isn’t from Nebraska (cuz we notoriously get at least 1 snow storm in April)

As far as sod vs seed it depends on 1) if you have underground sprinklers you can easily turn on for short periods of time (and if they cover your lawn good) and 2) the price you can get for sod, sometimes it’s just too damn much and not worth it

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Fall is best for seeding. I missed the window last fall so am gonna go one more summer and seed the fuck out of it next fall
Let me throw this hypothetical at ya for a thought. My best friend has a lawn service and has a giant utility aerator. When he starts that in about a month or so, ima have him aerate, and then I’m gonna use my spreader and throw some seed around. However, there are patches that need a little more TLC than that so I was gonna throw some sod squares from the same place I bought them last year, which turned out good, I just a little lazy with the water in the summer. So in my mind, I could be wrong, but there’s a solid base with the seed, and then patches where it needs it, then all comes together to look rich and full. Thoughts?

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
it’s way too early in Nebraska to do anything with the lawn, anybody who says otherwise isn’t from Nebraska (cuz we notoriously get at least 1 snow storm in April)

As far as sod vs seed it depends on 1) if you have underground sprinklers you can easily turn on for short periods of time (and if they cover your lawn good) and 2) the price you can get for sod, sometimes it’s just too damn much and not worth it
Not doing anything yet just getting plans together. I put down some new down spouts tonight cause that needed done. I don’t have a sprinkler system but my father in law knows how to build essentially a knock off sprinkler system, so he’s gonna help me do that since I have to replace the A/C/Furnace sometime late spring and that’ll be a hefty ass bill. So figured the knock off system would help with healthier patch work

NEHusker54

Cornerback
Seeding in the spring is tough with weed pressure. If you do seed you’ll want to avoid putting any weed killer on it because it will kill the new grass, allowing weeds to take over. Best to throw down seed in the fall.
Will the dog just tear it all up again no matter what you do?

Last edited:

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Seeding in the spring is tough with weed pressure. If you do seed you’ll want to avoid putting any weed killer on it because it will kill the new grass, allowing weeds to take over. Best to throw down seed in the fall.
Will the dog just tear it all up again no matter what you do?
To the question, no. It’s really a small segment of the yard where I do know the rabbits go from my neighbors back porch to under my shed. I know what I’m going to do as a shed barrier, just trying to decide on grass route. Realistically will probably do sod because it’s more just spots where she’s dug instead of everything. There are other spots in the yard that actually need sod due to the grass getting straight baked in July every year when it’s stupid hot. That’s where I’m hoping/planning my father in laws sprinkler system setup will have an impact

Toe

Wide Receiver
If you're having problems with bare spots, consider overseeding with Kentucky Bluegrass. Unlike fescues, which grow in bunches, KBG will spread on its own to fill in bare patches. The stuff I use is a blend of tall fescue, KBG, and a bit of chewings fescue for shade tolerance. Still needs to be watered in the summer, though.

Toe

Wide Receiver

Fall is best for seeding cool season grasses, but spring is fine too. Step on it, though, it's getting a bit late.

There's weed killers that are safe for seeding. It's a bit pricey, but Scotts Triple Action Built for Seeding is good shit. It's a weed & feed blend that contains mesotrione (aka Tenacity), which kill weeds on contact and also works as a pre-emergent that stops them from growing for three months.

Last edited:

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
If you're having problems with bare spots, consider overseeding with Kentucky Bluegrass. Unlike fescues, which grow in bunches, KBG will spread on its own to fill in bare patches. The stuff I use is a blend of tall fescue, KBG, and a bit of chewings fescue for shade tolerance. Still needs to be watered in the summer, though.
Look at Toe dropping the grass knowledge. Sure as hell beats the artificial turf peeps.

What kind of sun exposure is it opee? What about mulching it and throwing in some tough bushes? Maybe some big pots to grow annuals in? Let's turn this eyesore into a little nook of beauty!

kenyanfeline

Pussy Patrol
Insider
Elite Member
Definitely oversees with bluegrass. It’s self repairing.

You might end up with “patches” of different color grass over the next couple years but it will even out over time.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Thank you for the tip Big Toe

Reactions: Toe

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds