Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Wait, so Nebraska NIL actually sucks? (2 Viewers)

Ripping Lips

And I ain’t talking about fish
Elite Member
If someone was smart, one of the NIL companies would work with beer/food vendors at home games and a percentage of those sales would support NIL packages for the players. Therefore, most fans who attend home games would be supporting the players while getting their buzz on.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
If they actually advertise it and throw in a couple cheesy perks they'll get 10k "subscribers" easily. I bet if they give some small incentives (t-shirts, pregame parties?) and then ramp it up for people giving $25/month, $50/month, etc with better incentives (meet and greets?), they'll clear way more than a million.

But to your larger point, we probably can't count on small donations accounting for more than, I don't know, 20 or 25% of total NIL funding, and even that is probably a bit optimistic.
Maybe. As I said originally somebody should do it because it would be easy. Set up website. Make some schwag and collect the money.

KidsSeeGhosts

Quarterback
Elite Member
There's a range of outcomes in NIL, not a binary thing. #2ndChoice left Cincinnati because it is not currently able to compete in NIL and will not be able to long-term. That can still be true while acknowledging that Wisconsin is not really a big NIL player at all. Oregon, Bama, Georgia, Miami, etc. are in a different league and you either need to catch up or do things differently.

Nebraska for years has not been an option for a number of recruits because we wouldn't play the game. NIL is a great way to get over the moralistic hurdle and close that gap if we want to (and I hope we do).

Ripping Lips

Elite Member
There's a range of outcomes in NIL, not a binary thing. #2ndChoice left Cincinnati because it is not currently able to compete in NIL and will not be able to long-term. That can still be true while acknowledging that Wisconsin is not really a big NIL player at all. Oregon, Bama, Georgia, Miami, etc. are in a different league and you either need to catch up or do things differently.

Nebraska for years has not been an option for a number of recruits because we wouldn't play the game. NIL is a great way to get over the moralistic hurdle and close that gap if we want to (and I hope we do).
One thing to look at is what happened down at Texas A&M. Even though NIL hooked up a lot of recruits and they had top signing classes, they still underperformed for the amount of NIL money spent down there. Then this year, they had over 20 players in the portal for various reasons. You can buy players for a year or two, but the more you spend doesn't mean instant success either.

Boondock_St_Sker

That Dude
Elite Member
It's not so much bashing it, but a lot of people were questioning the people who were running and promoting ABM like $Dean was when it was first launched. ABM was poorly ran and mismanaged by one of Frost's good drinking buddies who only took care of a few selected players. If you ever looked at the website, the design and layout looked like it was developed by a 3RD grader with very little information on it. Lastly, there were rumblings that they did nothing to prepare the athletes for the tax burden and some of the players were not paid on time and that ABM was skimming money off the top and filling their own pockets. Overall, the whole ABM deal was a train wreck waiting to happen and glad it will be getting replaced by something better.

As mentioned above, hopefully whoever runs the new NIL deals has a business background and experience running a company the correct way and takes care of the student athlete vice taking advantage of them.
The 1890_INITIATIVE_Logo.jpg is the new "collective" for football and volleyball players mainly and

is being run by this guy...and...
Matty D.jpg

He is supposed to be getting helped out by this guy...Joe Selig
Joe-Selig.jpg
But I don't see Joe's name anywhere on the site. I swear to God if Matt fucks this up we are in a world of hurt.

Southendzonehusker

Linebacker
Elite Member
I didn't really bash it, just saying from an outside perspective it seems like things could be managed a lot better.

Do you get the perception that what we have in place is a well run, highly organized operation? I don't.

I don't need Bama 5 stars. I want solid pieces to fit roster needs and a big bag or two if we have an opportunity.

Do you feel like we are running an NIL operation as well as we could? And if the answer is yes, please explain. And if the answer is no, why the fuck aren't we?
I’m not saying it’s perfect but we are talking about a new type of business that is a year old? That no one has any experience in. This isn’t putting money in kids socks after games. You don’t think these other schools have issues too? I don’t think it’s fair to say it’s not good because our last coach was a fuck bag and hired his buddies. You can basically look at our NIL collective and determine how good it is based on the financial state of the athletic department because NIL money is really coming from donors donating to something else.

Jay Bilzerian

Safety
Elite Member

Kinish

Cornerback
The View attachment 18464 is the new "collective" for football and volleyball players mainly and

View attachment 18462

View attachment 18463
But I don't see Joe's name anywhere on the site. I swear to God if Matt fucks this up we are in a world of hurt.
For better or worse, MD is the face of this thing. 1890 will have some deep pockets and fans should be thankful that they are willing to donate a ton of money.

1890 is more or less one family’s money. There are others that will play a large part.
It's more than one family at this point.

klrgumby

Linebacker
Even if Nebraska had a top 10 nil I doubt they’d land a top 10 class.

Thats my thought as well. Kids aren't going to jump on a sinking ship just for some extra money. They can get similar or just slightly less to go play for a winning program. We need to start winning again and then we can show that our money is worth taking.

Ripping Lips

Elite Member
The View attachment 18464 is the new "collective" for football and volleyball players mainly and

View attachment 18462

View attachment 18463
The amount of inbreeding by anything associated with this football program is mind numbing. Nothing against Matt Davidson, but he should've stuck to broadcasting vice being in charge of a NIL LLC. I'm sure this will fail within a year or two.

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
If someone was smart, one of the NIL companies would work with beer/food vendors at home games and a percentage of those sales would support NIL packages for the players. Therefore, most fans who attend home games would be supporting the players while getting their buzz on.
or how about sponsoring a huge pre-game tailgate with proceeds going to NIL?

Ripping Lips

Elite Member
or how about sponsoring a huge pre-game tailgate with proceeds going to NIL?
Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Boondock_St_Sker

That Dude
Elite Member
Maybe. As I said originally somebody should do it because it would be easy. Set up website. Make some schwag and collect the money.
There is no way anyone is going to compete with the Peeds and 1890 IF....IF they do it right. 1890 Initiative has a lot of backing right now BUT those backers/boosters could lose interest real quick if they don't get some ROI. It's not like they can just throw money at a kid without having the kid perform some service to 'earn' it...no @HuskerDocCo you can't get free BJs from the Scarlets in perpetuity for a donation.

The stance of a monthly donation from 10K 'fans' to raise 1.2 mil/yr is insane. Can it be done, sure, and monkey's could fly out of @Elizabeth Reed 's arse but we all know that ain't gonna happen, his shit is WAY too tight. Davison and Selig aren't looking to incentivize a monthly donor, they want the BIG money. Sure they'll take the $10, $25...whatever you want to give to make us commoners feel like we've 'contributed' to the greater good but in actuality they don't give a fuck about us.

Vince Guinta is the one to talk to about NIL and get it all explained properly... @HuskerGarrett you know anyone that knows Vince? I got to meet him at a Husker Night event but didn't really get to pick his brain...

Me and Vince.jpg

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
One thing to look at is what happened down at Texas A&M. Even though NIL hooked up a lot of recruits and they had top signing classes, they still underperformed for the amount of NIL money spent down there. Then this year, they had over 20 players in the portal for various reasons. You can buy players for a year or two, but the more you spend doesn't mean instant success either.
The same goes for Miami so far.

klrgumby

Linebacker
Wouldn't worry about it.

Nebraska will have a top 15 class and will pay for that in '24. Do not think Rhule/NIL guys thought it was prudent to overspend this cycle on marginal guys.

With only a couple weeks it would have been very hard to try and flip someone of "stature" with no affiliation or relationship. Trying to persuade them with money may get a player or two but seeing TAMU and having some players jump after semester, shows its not sustainable to do it based on that method. I think a year of things built up with something to show on the field and hopefully a Raiola in the fold makes things much easier to sell for the future.

Boondock_St_Sker

That Dude
Elite Member
1890 is more or less one family’s money. There are others that will play a large part.
Not true...the other "collectives" for Nebraska???? The Big Red whatever it is??? that collective is for pretty much every other sport. Football and Volleyball are the money generators for the Athletic Department and that is where the money is going. Someone on the Rifle team is not going to get 1890 Initiative to even look at them unless they are smokin' hot and very good at rifle. Sexist...you're got dayum right, that's how that game is played. Not trying to insult your intelligence but the other collectives can't hang (right now) with the money 1890 is able to bring in. The Peeds are funding the entire infrastructure of 1890 so any and all 'donations' coming in go solely to the players. Unlike ABM where money that came in also had to pay for overhead, like GayRods salary...

Boondock_St_Sker

That Dude
Elite Member
With only a couple weeks it would have been very hard to try and flip someone of "stature" with no affiliation or relationship. Trying to persuade them with money may get a player or two but seeing TAMU and having some players jump after semester, shows its not sustainable to do it based on that method. I think a year of things built up with something to show on the field and hopefully a Raiola in the fold makes things much easier to sell for the future.
Look at what Oregon did yesterday...how much money is in their NIL collectives??? Phil Knight might be bank rolling them but they've got other boosters chipping in too. Oregon may be 2023 version of TAMU

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds