Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Wait, so Nebraska NIL actually sucks? (1 Viewer)

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Even if Nebraska had a top 10 nil I doubt they’d land a top 10 class.
I think NIL will change somewhat when these boosters figure out they are losing a lot of money on kids who won’t see the field. I’m assuming more NIL will go to proven players. For instance if OSU doesn’t have a good qb next year a guy like Harrison might put his name in the portal after this season and find a team with a proven qb who also can pay a lot of money.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Surely that isn't part of the equation.

I think we're probably in the top 1/2 of the B1G. Michigan barely even trying and unorganized would still be better than us.
I agree. It would also help if Rhule can win some games quick. I’m sure Nebraska boosters would be willing to spend more money for a good product. Considering how shitty we have been, I think our NIL has been pretty good if we are top 15-25.

vailhusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
What!!! Are you all calling Dean a liar!!!

OGC.2e6dfec7daabab9a9358930039f6e952

ac husker

Safety
Elite Member
Posted this on the scrolls,

I don't know why people are so reluctant to accept that Nebraska has a good NIL program. Even if its not Bama or A&M, who fing cares. They are in a different stratosphere right now in recruiting. We dont recruit the same as them. Bama getting 6 5 stars instead of 4 5 stars because of NIL literally does not effect Nebraska at all. Vry rarely are we ever head to head with them. It does not matter, so there is no reason to worry about them or compare to them

Where is does matter is with who Nebraska usually recruits against. UCLA, Washington, Oregon, ASU, VTech, Ok St, TTech, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Cockeye, Michigan, PSU etc. Nebraska's NIL program is better then most of those schools and can help be the final edge to get recruits to Nebraska.

Start winning and it will only make it easier for recruits to come to Nebraska. I think Nebraska on the second go around (portal) can be a very attractive place which can be an advantage for Nebrsaka. Once Nebraska starts consistently getting top 8-15 classes I'll worry about competing with Bama, OSU, and A&M.
Well written

theDankness

Linebacker
Elite Member
I think our NIL is bad.

From an outside perspective, a lot of what that guy wrote seems pretty on point.

Weren't we told we have millions and millions in NIL money? Where is that being spent?

Can give the benefit of the doubt for now and hope that once Rhule is settled in these NILs will do better work targeting top transfers.

Does anyone have any clear direction on what the two NILs do? Or their role? There is no visibility amongst the fanbase. How we don't have a donation drive from average fans baffles me. Even if it's $100k a year, that buys you a solid contributing starter.

Lack of social media, communication, and what appears actual execution of the job are all worrisome. I'm sure Davison can grab a few $50k checks from some old timer Lincoln business owners, but what the fuck are we doing with that cash?

Reality is we are either NOT top 3, top 10, and probably hanging around the top 25 OR we ARE top 10 and these guys are sitting on millions doing who knows what? I would have loved to have a peek at the ABM books. What do you think the percentage split for actual payments vs "admin" costs were?

And the fact ABM had to dissolve raises eyebrows. Even if the leadership left, they didn't roll it over. They closed their books. Something fucky in Lincoln, and when you hear the names involved, does it really surprise anyone?

Southendzonehusker

Linebacker
Elite Member
I think our NIL is bad.

From an outside perspective, a lot of what that guy wrote seems pretty on point.

Weren't we told we have millions and millions in NIL money? Where is that being spent?

Can give the benefit of the doubt for now and hope that once Rhule is settled in these NILs will do better work targeting top transfers.

Does anyone have any clear direction on what the two NILs do? Or their role? There is no visibility amongst the fanbase. How we don't have a donation drive from average fans baffles me. Even if it's $100k a year, that buys you a solid contributing starter.

Lack of social media, communication, and what appears actual execution of the job are all worrisome. I'm sure Davison can grab a few $50k checks from some old timer Lincoln business owners, but what the fuck are we doing with that cash?

Reality is we are either NOT top 3, top 10, and probably hanging around the top 25 OR we ARE top 10 and these guys are sitting on millions doing who knows what? I would have loved to have a peek at the ABM books. What do you think the percentage split for actual payments vs "admin" costs were?

And the fact ABM had to dissolve raises eyebrows. Even if the leadership left, they didn't roll it over. They closed their books. Something fucky in Lincoln, and when you hear the names involved, does it really surprise anyone?
It always amazes me how many people just bash our NIL. Nebraska’s NIL is solid simply because it was on the front end of everything Opendorse has done. We aren’t in a position to get 5 stars like Bama but why do you think we got so many good skill players last year? Some schools like Kentucky are just getting their NIL up and running.

Lonny Boysen

Told Wager to Order The Leaning Tower
I figured we were a top NIL team in the BIG since most of the schools don’t want to play the game. I also heard Michigan wasn’t big on NIL, but maybe they are spending some because they have been getting pretty good transfers. It could also be the fact they are really good.
If you read the article…..not having a public face of NIL for the school does NOT mean boosters aren’t directly paying players.

We tried to go about it the right way, but basically anything flies with a shoddy LLC I guess?

Lonny Boysen

The people and their donate $10 will add up! Is bullshit. One of those collectives should do something like that because it's easy but it's not even close to a difference maker.
You do realize how math works though, right Jim?

You get 10,000 fans donating just 10/month….and that’s $1.2M a year.

I don’t think that number of contributors is unrealistic given our fanbase, and a free $1.2M could certainly buy us some DUDES.

You certainly can’t count on that and rest on your laurels in any other area…but we also have to capitalize wherever we can.

Even if we got half of that, it could buy us some real linemen.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG

I don’t think that number of contributors is unrealistic given our fanbase, and a free $1.2M could certainly buy us some DUDES.

You certainly can’t count on that and rest on your laurels in any other area…but we also have to capitalize wherever we can.

You think you're going to get 10,000 fans to do $120/year? I think you'd get 10k to do $10/year.

Ripping Lips

And I ain’t talking about fish
Elite Member
It always amazes me how many people just bash our NIL. Nebraska’s NIL is solid simply because it was on the front end of everything Opendorse has done. We aren’t in a position to get 5 stars like Bama but why do you think we got so many good skill players last year? Some schools like Kentucky are just getting their NIL up and running.
It's not so much bashing it, but a lot of people were questioning the people who were running and promoting ABM like $Dean was when it was first launched. ABM was poorly ran and mismanaged by one of Frost's good drinking buddies who only took care of a few selected players. If you ever looked at the website, the design and layout looked like it was developed by a 3RD grader with very little information on it. Lastly, there were rumblings that they did nothing to prepare the athletes for the tax burden and some of the players were not paid on time and that ABM was skimming money off the top and filling their own pockets. Overall, the whole ABM deal was a train wreck waiting to happen and glad it will be getting replaced by something better.

As mentioned above, hopefully whoever runs the new NIL deals has a business background and experience running a company the correct way and takes care of the student athlete vice taking advantage of them.

Lonny Boysen

You think you're going to get 10,000 fans to do $120/year? I think you'd get 10k to do $10/year.
Realistically, I’d say more fans at a smaller amount…..but shit adds up is the main point.

Plus, people forget about recurring payments really easily haha.

I also think it would help if there was some transparency to the whole thing….but I don’t know how fuzzy you have to keep things.

But I could totally see a push to Husker fans working out if they’d show how many people have signed up/total annual donations.

Husker fans LOVE their online polls and feeling like the fanbase is the best in the country.

Gamify the thing a bit, and you’ll get really solid results…..I can 100% see my Mom being all about it and the story behind it.

Mavsker

Big Ten referee
tPB OG
If they actually advertise it and throw in a couple cheesy perks they'll get 10k "subscribers" easily. I bet if they give some small incentives (t-shirts, pregame parties?) and then ramp it up for people giving $25/month, $50/month, etc with better incentives (meet and greets?), they'll clear way more than a million.

But to your larger point, we probably can't count on small donations accounting for more than, I don't know, 20 or 25% of total NIL funding, and even that is probably a bit optimistic.

theDankness

Linebacker
Elite Member

I didn't really bash it, just saying from an outside perspective it seems like things could be managed a lot better.

Do you get the perception that what we have in place is a well run, highly organized operation? I don't.

I don't need Bama 5 stars. I want solid pieces to fit roster needs and a big bag or two if we have an opportunity.

Do you feel like we are running an NIL operation as well as we could? And if the answer is yes, please explain. And if the answer is no, why the fuck aren't we?

theDankness

Linebacker
Elite Member
If they actually advertise it and throw in a couple cheesy perks they'll get 10k "subscribers" easily. I bet if they give some small incentives (t-shirts, pregame parties?) and then ramp it up for people giving $25/month, $50/month, etc with better incentives (meet and greets?), they'll clear way more than a million.

But to your larger point, we probably can't count on small donations accounting for more than, I don't know, 20 or 25% of total NIL funding, and even that is probably a bit optimistic.

I would hope it accounted for less than 20%, but that's supplemental income and it's dumb to not tap into that additional revenue stream.

You think our dumbasses wouldn't all pony up some change to sweetin the bag for Raiola? You dangle a carrot like that and the mid level fans alone would pay his deal.

theDankness

Linebacker
Elite Member

Also I know we all have PTSD from the last decade plus, but I still hold Nebraska in higher regard than the likes of Kentucky football.

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member

I think right now there's a huge imbalance in the NIL market. you have a few high-profile stars (mostly at the skill positions) getting paid millions while the bulk of players get next to nothing. In terms of value, there's a moneyball approach that I think could pay off if a program approached it right

Can an NIL collective promote itself and advertise what they can offer players? I think the value is in going after all-conference players in the Mountain west, AAC, and MAC. Or even from 1-AA schools. look for younger players who may not be stars, but are already developed and you have an easy way to get ready-made starters. for players at a lower level they get to raise their profile by playing against better competition while getting paid. you'd think players would jump at that opportunity

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds