Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Things that make me rage - Shitty OL Play (3 Viewers)

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
What is the difference between IZ and a DUO? To me this seems like DUO vs IZ, but I will defer to you
In all reality, there isn't much difference IMO between the two. But if you say that to some purists...watch out. The biggest difference in my mind is what the back reads and where he cuts.

Tight Zone to me is pretty much Duo. After going back and looking at that clip some more and a clip vs Minnesota early in the game, it very well could be Duo. I just know based on that look in the NW game, they blew it on who they were doubling to

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
So what is the counter punch to a team that likes that pirate stunt? Do you go with a Mid zone? Do you flip your back? Do you go pistol?
I hate that damn TE/Pirate stunt. It's a bitch. I spoke to Strohmeier a few years ago at a Glazier clinic and talked that stunt vs an offense. He said the same thing, it's a real fucker.

Can go pistol. Our answer has been to run more Pin & Pull or Power Read at the 3 or we bump the back.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
In all reality, there isn't much difference IMO between the two. But if you say that to some purists...watch out. The biggest difference in my mind is what the back reads and where he cuts.

Tight Zone to me is pretty much Duo. After going back and looking at that clip some more and a clip vs Minnesota early in the game, it very well could be Duo. I just know based on that look in the NW game, they blew it on who they were doubling to
Haha funny how I think that every time I read up on it that is basically what conclusion I come too.

I know Coach Mac on youtube basically says Duo and his Veer was the same thing. He also was talking about how Freeze was using Duo in the RPO game to push the ball downfield because they teach to hold the doubles longer. Apparently he was using switch and other deeper passing concepts.

Last edited:

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
@slattimer I stumbled across this.

Crazy the level of execution on this play IYAM. Shit the OL was mauling the 1 and 3 techs, but they don't come off too quick to get second level.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
@slattimer I stumbled across this.

Crazy the level of execution on this play IYAM. Shit the OL was mauling the 1 and 3 techs, but they don't come off too quick to get second level.

LG's footwork. That's what I'm talking about when I refer to Duo vs. Zone and telling the "difference" according to purists.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
LG's footwork. That's what I'm talking about when I refer to Duo vs. Zone and telling the "difference" according to purists.
Maybe it is how I was taught, but I really like the idea of a DUO/Tight zone vs a IZ half gap over blocking scheme. I would rather get good doubles and vertical movement on the 1/3 techs handled.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Maybe it is how I was taught, but I really like the idea of a DUO/Tight zone vs a IZ half gap over blocking scheme. I would rather get good doubles and vertical movement on the 1/3 techs handled.
We fold ours quite a bit on the backside of the zone. I like Tight Zone a lot better than Mid or Inside Zone. The only issue you run into with TZ is DL stunts. I feel like you pick that stuff up a lot better.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
We fold ours quite a bit on the backside of the zone. I like Tight Zone a lot better than Mid or Inside Zone. The only issue you run into with TZ is DL stunts. I feel like you pick that stuff up a lot better.
Ya I feel most stunts fuck with zone blocking. You really need an OL that can communicate well to handle them regardless of zone or man blocking.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Explain this to me like I'm 5.....so basically that shift that NW's DLine did essentially ruined our entire play? And we couldn't adjust to it?
No. They set the strength to the back and shifted them over a gap. Basically just gets the OL thinking/communicating more on what they're doing. What killed the play is that motherfucking pirate stunt/TE/Tex whatever you want to call it. It's an exchange by the 5 tech and 3 tech and it is a real mother fucker to deal with when you run a lot of zone read type stuff. I think that's why you're starting to see a lot of teams go to Duo. The aim point and entry of the back keeps him away from that bullshit.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
No. They set the strength to the back and shifted them over a gap. Basically just gets the OL thinking/communicating more on what they're doing. What killed the play is that motherfucking pirate stunt/TE/Tex whatever you want to call it. It's an exchange by the 5 tech and 3 tech and it is a real mother fucker to deal with when you run a lot of zone read type stuff. I think that's why you're starting to see a lot of teams go to Duo. The aim point and entry of the back keeps him away from that bullshit.
Let's try this. Can you a 2020 clip where the O-Line did what they were supposed to in the run game and the play worked? That way I can see the difference?

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Explain this to me like I'm 5.....so basically that shift that NW's DLine did essentially ruined our entire play? And we couldn't adjust to it?
NW was playing with what I would call a light box. This allowed them to play +1 on each of the WR pairs, but you have 7 vs 5 in the box.

1614111332788.png

They then run a TE/Pirate/TEX/BUTTFUCKMYIZPLAY stunt.

1614111526576.png

1614111590970.png

You then run an IZ C/G combo to the mike. RB aim point is the LG inside leg.

1614111694469.png

The problem and why this is such a tough stunt when your LG/C go to combo up to the mike and the DT (3 tech) leaves. C goes to second level and now the DE (5tech) is coming down your A gap where the RBs aiming untouched. The DT almost acts like a pick to free up your DE.

If you watch the Rutgers game they tried this, but Nebraska did more trading of their RBs and went Pistol. This made it more of a throw shit against the wall effort by the defense to try and ID where the run was going.

You frankly need to have a OG who can keep his head up and pass this. He takes his first step with his head up and then engages the DE on the wrap. Not ideal, but it is about the best you can expect.

The other way you can beat this is going to a dart type concept. This way it gives you a +1 to the play side. You read the backside DE. Jaimes needs to be aggressive.

1614112299599.png

I am sure @slattimer will have more to add here.

Attachments

• 1614111660434.png
    1614111660434.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
NW was playing with what I would call a light box. This allowed them to play +1 on each of the WR pairs, but you have 7 vs 5 in the box.

View attachment 2142

They then run a TE/Pirate/TEX/BUTTFUCKMYIZPLAY stunt.

View attachment 2143

View attachment 2149

You then run an IZ C/G combo to the mike. RB aim point is the LG inside leg.

View attachment 2152

The problem and why this is such a tough stunt when your LG/C go to combo up to the mike and the DT (3 tech) leaves. C goes to second level and now the DE (5tech) is coming down your A gap where the RBs aiming untouched. The DT almost acts like a pick to free up your DE.

If you watch the Rutgers game they tried this, but Nebraska did more trading of their RBs and went Pistol. This made it more of a throw shit against the wall effort by the defense to try and ID where the run was going.

You frankly need to have a OG who can keep his head up and pass this. He takes his first step with his head up and then engages the DE on the wrap. Not ideal, but it is about the best you can expect.

The other way you can beat this is going to a dart type concept. This way it gives you a +1 to the play side. You read the backside DE. Jaimes needs to be aggressive.

View attachment 2154

I am sure @slattimer will have more to add here.
IMO, it's hard even for high-level guys. It's damn near impossible to pick up unless you get a clear indicator its coming. The last photo the 5 tech is so far off you know he's stunting, so you could alter your steps and aim points to maybe get him, but the 3 tech is intentionally spiking to pick the tackle off so he can't get the 5 tech. The 3 tech becomes the edge setter by virtue of positioning. The shear leverage advantage the defense gains with this stunt vs IZ just kills it. Even if your center is able to pick the spiking 5, you've then left the LB with leverage as a free hitter. There's no way the tackle is going to pick him up.

We've talked some on this before, but there are some things you can do to attack that stunt, but it's extremely difficult. And Nebraska doesn't really run some of the things that can hurt that stunt...so they get it a lot IMO. I remember watching this game and just dog cussing the TV because you could see it coming and just watching them T-off and essentially play 5 on 7 and beat us...that's fucking frustrating.

Also, Nebraska is locking the BST on the DE because it's an RPO, which in that look is dead vs the 3v2 look.

Last edited:

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
IMO, it's hard even for high-level guys. It's damn near impossible to pick up unless you get a clear indicator its coming. The last photo the 5 tech is so far off you know he's stunting, so you could alter your steps and aim points to maybe get him, but the 3 tech is intentionally spiking to pick the tackle off so he can't get the 5 tech. The 3 tech becomes the edge setter by virtue of positioning. The shear leverage advantage the defense gains with this stunt vs IZ just kills it. Even if your center is able to pick the spiking 5, you've then left the LB with leverage as a free hitter. There's no way the tackle is going to pick him up.

We've talked some on this before, but there are some things you can do to attack that stunt, but it's extremely difficult. And Nebraska doesn't really run some of the things that can hurt that stunt...so they get it a lot IMO. I remember watching this game and just dog cussing the TV because you could see it coming and just watching them T-off and essentially play 5 on 7 and beat us...that's fucking frustrating.

Also, Nebraska is locking the BST on the DE because it's an RPO, which in that look is dead vs the 3v2 look.
Ya my comment was going to a different concept if you are getting that stunt. You need to catch them and hit a couple big plays to get them to adjust.

There really is no way I see your center picking up the 5. The only way to run it is if you catch it and can block it up where you have exchange guys for the G/T. I almost imagine if you do the RB better be ready to bounce it, but that would be a very good OL to pick that up.

Probably not a good idea to have Paddy Fisher being a free hitter..... GOOD LUCK MILLS

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds