Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Things that make me rage - Shitty OL Play (4 Viewers)

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Is this a coaching issue? Players are idiots, or a little of both? Missed assignments up front have consistently plagued this team.
I'd say a little of both...and I preface this by saying I really like GA...but his did not perform well and do some things where you just scratch your head. Those double teams in the first set up pics are flat fucking awful. I get it, it's game 2 for them, but even then, that's JH level double teams. If I was smart enough to take the video clip I have and split it so I didn't have screen shots, those would be easier to post.

Snockered69

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Based off the still photo and other photos IMO no one did their job well including Martinez. Best play with the alignment given is an audible to a swing pass to the inside trip receiver with the two outside guys blocking. Defender appears to be late (safety over top) and outside WR's have angles to block the corners.

IMO idk how reasonable it is for Piper to climb to the LB about 7 yards away from him and a DT lined up over him. QB has to read that on zone. He also should read that they specifically lined up taking away outside zone run on this play.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I
There are many ways to block up zone, I've used a count before, have gone away from it personally in my teaching, but I really like the count in terms of knowing who to block.

In general, the count method goes like this, the count tells you "who you're responsible for and double teaming" If your number is a DL, you zone base block, possible help, if your number is a LB, zone combo to your number. Now there is a myriad of shit that can happen, but that's the jist of it.
PST has +2, PSG has +1, C has 0, BSG has -1, BST has -2, Read player is -3 or -4, depending on TE. TE's always have +3 or -3.

In the situation below, they've got 7 defenders for 6 blockers, even IMO when you read a defender. You're covered. The problems, they have 4 to the frontside and we have only 3 blockers. No bueno. So the center has to push the count, which basically means, move all of your numbers +1, or you just say fuck it, we'll just double to the next LB, that's easier IMO and what we did. In the screen shots, they didn't do that or didn't do whatever is in their system to account for an unblocked defender frontside. And that's the type of shit that is unacceptable to me. You can't fuck those things up.
View attachment 1815
I have a million questions but I'll just be humble in saying I don't know enough to waste your time with all of them. I really do appreciate your response. I'll read the rest of your comments to learn! The extent of my knowledge in offensive football is pre-spread about 2005, towards the end of the I-Formation days. FWIW, I love me some hat on hat whose got a bigger dick in the trenches kind of blocking.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I'd say a little of both...and I preface this by saying I really like GA...but his did not perform well and do some things where you just scratch your head. Those double teams in the first set up pics are flat fucking awful. I get it, it's game 2 for them, but even then, that's JH level double teams. If I was smart enough to take the video clip I have and split it so I didn't have screen shots, those would be easier to post.
Also vs a defense that gave everybody fits. But ya not good.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Here's another one, and this one IMO isn't so much on the OL but more as a play-caller. This probably gives Bootleg a chubby. But you've got to have a plan for this fucking TE stunt if teams set their 3 away from the back. And I felt like watching the NW game this year, they killed us with this stunt.

Basically on Jaimes's side, he gets picked by the 3 tech and the 5 tech comes in Scott free and makes the tackle. It's a real motherfucker of a stunt vs IZ & TZ. They're playing 5 in the box vs Zone Lock and just kicking our ass and getting free hitters at the LOS.
Here comes the TE Stunt....Big Farny unaware, not his fault though.

View attachment 1817
Big Farny climbs, as he should, and here comes the free hitter...
View attachment 1818
And POW, TFL or No gain, vs 5 in the box, and you can't get your perimeter game going because the numbers aren't there....They're fucking winning the game of 5 on 7....and that's why we suck ball sack on offense.
View attachment 1819
This is brutal. Why are they trying to even run that into that 3? NW defense...so well prepared/coached.

Is this 2x2 or 3x1?

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Based off the still photo and other photos IMO no one did their job well including Martinez. Best play with the alignment given is an audible to a swing pass to the inside trip receiver with the two outside guys blocking. Defender appears to be late (safety over top) and outside WR's have angles to block the corners.

IMO idk how reasonable it is for Piper to climb to the LB about 7 yards away from him and a DT lined up over him. QB has to read that on zone. He also should read that they specifically lined up taking away outside zone run on this play.
AM isn't throwing a perimeter screen into this look. Stills aren't great to make a full assumption,

And That LB is a box player, you have to account for him...or he makes unblocked tackles. The QB doesn't read the +LB on a zone run. And they weren't taking OZ away. The Look the defense gave is advantageous to the offense IMO. You have 6 blockers vs 7 defenders. You're even essentially when you read the DE. They didn't push the count and it screwed them. And it's completely reasonable for a division one OL to be able to adjust to a spiking defender, pass him off to his uncovered teammate, and climb to his responsibility without getting stuck on his DL and letting an unblocked dude come in for a free shot.
Screenshot 2021-02-04 125354.png

Snockered69

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member

AM isn't throwing a perimeter screen into this look. Stills aren't great to make a full assumption,

And That LB is a box player, you have to account for him...or he makes unblocked tackles. The QB doesn't read the +LB on a zone run. And they weren't taking OZ away. The Look the defense gave is advantageous to the offense IMO. You have 6 blockers vs 7 defenders. You're even essentially when you read the DE. They didn't push the count and it screwed them. And it's completely reasonable for a division one OL to be able to adjust to a spiking defender, pass him off to his uncovered teammate, and climb to his responsibility without getting stuck on his DL and letting an unblocked dude come in for a free shot.
View attachment 1821
Won't claim to be an expert on blocking technique, I just saw this originally.20210204_134159.png

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Won't claim to be an expert on blocking technique, I just saw this originally.View attachment 1823
Yeah, I get what you saw originally. But they aren't throwing that regardless. They've got 3 over 3 under the hard deck (7 yards), if one was about it, then yeah. By time they snap the ball, the look is a lot different.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Have to watch more from this year, but my initial opinion from drunkenly watching games...he's not very good.
I question how much was injury vs not very good..... I was watching him during the Ohio State game thinking he was going to be a very good player and then never saw that again. From my experience playing with a turf toe as an OL sucks. I kept reinjuring it when I went to plant.

I think Frankly he has the athletic ability, but playing him early screwed him up.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I think while we can all agree the offense has stunk. We also have to remember that this was vs Northwestern. They make you look even worse. And until Nebraska can find a way to get weapons on the perimeter and get those weapons the ball (whether vertically or in space) then we are going to continue to see this brand of offense struggle. And really struggle vs good defenses.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Got some access to Nebraska's All-22s from this year. Bored and looking at some of it. Nothing like seeing things that make you rage out of the get-go. Straight rustles the fuck out of my jim jams.

Play #1 - Inside Zone - Trips TE Over Set. No TE, Have to push the point +1, Obviously doesn't happen as you'll see, we turn a dude free. Dumb.
View attachment 1809
DL spikes a gap, and we're shitting our pants already.
View attachment 1810
For fuck's sake, look at these shitty fucking double teams. For a division 1 football team, this is pathetic.
View attachment 1811
Free Hitter in the box. Austin Allen gets thrown - WEEEEE. Double teams still suck donkey balls. Piper completely sucks on this one.
View attachment 1812
Look here, 2 unblocked dudes (1 being the read player) tackling our RB for a 1 yard gain....
View attachment 1813
What is the difference between IZ and a DUO? To me this seems like DUO vs IZ, but I will defer to you

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
I think while we can all agree the offense has stunk. We also have to remember that this was vs Northwestern. They make you look even worse. And until Nebraska can find a way to get weapons on the perimeter and get those weapons the ball (whether vertically or in space) then we are going to continue to see this brand of offense struggle. And really struggle vs good defenses.
This is true. I'll find some stuff from other games as well.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Their stunts butt fucked our OL. It basically allowed them to play a light box and stop our run game.
Their defense was pretty exceptional. Paddy was such a dude. I’ll be curious to see how they look next year. New DC and surely that guy is going pro?

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
There are many ways to block up zone, I've used a count before, have gone away from it personally in my teaching, but I really like the count in terms of knowing who to block.

In general, the count method goes like this, the count tells you "who you're responsible for and double teaming" If your number is a DL, you zone base block, possible help, if your number is a LB, zone combo to your number. Now there is a myriad of shit that can happen, but that's the jist of it.
PST has +2, PSG has +1, C has 0, BSG has -1, BST has -2, Read player is -3 or -4, depending on TE. TE's always have +3 or -3.

In the situation below, they've got 7 defenders for 6 blockers, even IMO when you read a defender. You're covered. The problems, they have 4 to the frontside and we have only 3 blockers. No bueno. So the center has to push the count, which basically means, move all of your numbers +1, or you just say fuck it, we'll just double to the next LB, that's easier IMO and what we did. In the screen shots, they didn't do that or didn't do whatever is in their system to account for an unblocked defender frontside. And that's the type of shit that is unacceptable to me. You can't fuck those things up.
View attachment 1815
As RB you are pretty much guaranteed to bend this back correct?

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Their defense was pretty exceptional. Paddy was such a dude. I’ll be curious to see how they look next year. New DC and surely that guy is going pro?
Nope coming back for a 12 year senior.

No he is a day 3 guy last I heard in the draft. Jay Foreman was very impressed after this game. He was so impressed with all the techniques he played with and how well he executed them. I think the big thing he has working against him is he is viewed as a liability in coverage in the NFL.

Their scheme was very interesting. They killed us with that pirate stunt and Paddy just cleaned up. They didn't have as talented of a DL, but I think the scheme maximized it.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Here's another one, and this one IMO isn't so much on the OL but more as a play-caller. This probably gives Bootleg a chubby. But you've got to have a plan for this fucking TE stunt if teams set their 3 away from the back. And I felt like watching the NW game this year, they killed us with this stunt.

Basically on Jaimes's side, he gets picked by the 3 tech and the 5 tech comes in Scott free and makes the tackle. It's a real motherfucker of a stunt vs IZ & TZ. They're playing 5 in the box vs Zone Lock and just kicking our ass and getting free hitters at the LOS. Yuck.
View attachment 1816
Here comes the TE Stunt....Big Farny unaware, not his fault though.

View attachment 1817
Big Farny climbs, as he should, and here comes the free hitter...
View attachment 1818
And POW, TFL or No gain, vs 5 in the box, and you can't get your perimeter game going because the numbers aren't there....They're fucking winning the game of 5 on 7....and that's why we suck ball sack on offense.
View attachment 1819
So what is the counter punch to a team that likes that pirate stunt? Do you go with a Mid zone? Do you flip your back? Do you go pistol?

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
I mean NW finished #1 in pass defense efficiency and top 5 in overall efficiency.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds