Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Things that make me rage - Shitty OL Play (2 Viewers)

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Got some access to Nebraska's All-22s from this year. Bored and looking at some of it. Nothing like seeing things that make you rage out of the get-go. Straight rustles the fuck out of my jim jams.

Play #1 - Inside Zone - Trips TE Over Set. No TE, Have to push the point +1, Obviously doesn't happen as you'll see, we turn a dude free. Dumb.
Screenshot 2021-02-04 095020.png
DL spikes a gap, and we're shitting our pants already.
Screenshot 2021-02-04 095047.png
For fuck's sake, look at these shitty fucking double teams. For a division 1 football team, this is pathetic.
Screenshot 2021-02-04 095106.png
Free Hitter in the box. Austin Allen gets thrown - WEEEEE. Double teams still suck donkey balls. Piper completely sucks on this one.
Screenshot 2021-02-04 095129.png
Look here, 2 unblocked dudes (1 being the read player) tackling our RB for a 1 yard gain....
Screenshot 2021-02-04 095228.png

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Love learning this shit.

1. Is the top photo showing who they should be blocking?
2. Can you link something that shows what the lineman should be doing with this particular play?
3. Did anyone even do it right?

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Love learning this shit.

2. Can you link something that shows what the lineman should be doing with this particular play?
I drew on there what I believe they should block based on my experiences. Now it may be quite different in what they teach, I have no idea their specific system, checks, and rules.
Jaimes was about the only one IMO that did it right.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Love learning this shit.

There are many ways to block up zone, I've used a count before, have gone away from it personally in my teaching, but I really like the count in terms of knowing who to block.

In general, the count method goes like this, the count tells you "who you're responsible for and double teaming" If your number is a DL, you zone base block, possible help, if your number is a LB, zone combo to your number. Now there is a myriad of shit that can happen, but that's the jist of it.
PST has +2, PSG has +1, C has 0, BSG has -1, BST has -2, Read player is -3 or -4, depending on TE. TE's always have +3 or -3.

In the situation below, they've got 7 defenders for 6 blockers, even IMO when you read a defender. You're covered. The problems, they have 4 to the frontside and we have only 3 blockers. No bueno. So the center has to push the count, which basically means, move all of your numbers +1, or you just say fuck it, we'll just double to the next LB, that's easier IMO and what we did. In the screen shots, they didn't do that or didn't do whatever is in their system to account for an unblocked defender frontside. And that's the type of shit that is unacceptable to me. You can't fuck those things up.
Screenshot 2021-02-04 111122.png

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
There are many ways to block up zone, I've used a count before, have gone away from it personally in my teaching, but I really like the count in terms of knowing who to block.

In general, the count method goes like this, the count tells you "who you're responsible for and double teaming" If your number is a DL, you zone base block, possible help, if your number is a LB, zone combo to your number. Now there is a myriad of shit that can happen, but that's the jist of it.
PST has +2, PSG has +1, C has 0, BSG has -1, BST has -2, Read player is -3 or -4, depending on TE. TE's always have +3 or -3.

In the situation below, they've got 7 defenders for 6 blockers, even IMO when you read a defender. You're covered. The problems, they have 4 to the frontside and we have only 3 blockers. No bueno. So the center has to push the count, which basically means, move all of your numbers +1, or you just say fuck it, we'll just double to the next LB, that's easier IMO and what we did. In the screen shots, they didn't do that or didn't do whatever is in their system to account for an unblocked defender frontside. And that's the type of shit that is unacceptable to me. You can't fuck those things up.
View attachment 1815
Once had AJ Blazek come teach us zone blocking. It was excellent

cwessel76

Run The Damn Ball
Elite Member
tPB OG

View attachment 1815
If we can’t successfully figure out a zone scheme that works for us we are fucked.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Once had AJ Blazek come teach us zone blocking. It was excellent
Cliffs?

I've run through a number of rules on how to do it, and pretty much have settled on the OSU tight zone model, ID Point or Odd, rules & calls based on that. I've seen a couple of different count methods, full count and LB count. Full count is excellent, but can be time consuming and not much carry over to gap scheme stuff.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Cliffs?

I've run through a number of rules on how to do it, and pretty much have settled on the OSU tight zone model, ID Point or Odd, rules & calls based on that. I've seen a couple of different count methods, full count and LB count. Full count is excellent, but can be time consuming and not much carry over to gap scheme stuff.
This was 13 years ago my first and only HC job and it was all about covered/uncovered and steps. I haven’t coached offense since then so I’d have to dig up my old notebooks.
I was a finalist for a HC job last year and started putting together a playbook but opted for just gap schemes because the school where I was the finalist had always just man blocked and had always been successful.

Adolph Coors

Fat
Elite Member
Got some access to Nebraska's All-22s from this year. Bored and looking at some of it. Nothing like seeing things that make you rage out of the get-go. Straight rustles the fuck out of my jim jams.

Play #1 - Inside Zone - Trips TE Over Set. No TE, Have to push the point +1, Obviously doesn't happen as you'll see, we turn a dude free. Dumb.
View attachment 1809
DL spikes a gap, and we're shitting our pants already.
View attachment 1810
For fuck's sake, look at these shitty fucking double teams. For a division 1 football team, this is pathetic.
View attachment 1811
Free Hitter in the box. Austin Allen gets thrown - WEEEEE. Double teams still suck donkey balls. Piper completely sucks on this one.
View attachment 1812
Look here, 2 unblocked dudes (1 being the read player) tackling our RB for a 1 yard gain....
View attachment 1813
wow thats bad. i think we were better in hs

David Webb

JCTJB
Elite Member

View attachment 1815
Is this a coaching issue? Players are idiots, or a little of both? Missed assignments up front have consistently plagued this team.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Here's another one, and this one IMO isn't so much on the OL but more as a play-caller. This probably gives Bootleg a chubby. But you've got to have a plan for this fucking TE stunt if teams set their 3 away from the back. And I felt like watching the NW game this year, they killed us with this stunt.

Basically on Jaimes's side, he gets picked by the 3 tech and the 5 tech comes in Scott free and makes the tackle. It's a real motherfucker of a stunt vs IZ & TZ. They're playing 5 in the box vs Zone Lock and just kicking our ass and getting free hitters at the LOS. Yuck.
Screenshot 2021-02-04 113911.png
Here comes the TE Stunt....Big Farny unaware, not his fault though.

Screenshot 2021-02-04 120409.png
Big Farny climbs, as he should, and here comes the free hitter...
Screenshot 2021-02-04 120426.png
And POW, TFL or No gain, vs 5 in the box, and you can't get your perimeter game going because the numbers aren't there....They're fucking winning the game of 5 on 7....and that's why we suck ball sack on offense.
Screenshot 2021-02-04 120441.png

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds