Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Things that make me rage - Shitty OL Play (1 Viewer)

David Webb

JCTJB
Elite Member
We argued about coaching/player faults a few weeks ago. I'll say this. Still a big fan of Frost as the head man and face of the program, don't care who calls plays. I'm starting to get on the find a new O-Line coach train though. Been far too many guys let through untouched these last few weeks for comfort. Simply a lineman getting beat is a player issue in my opinion, not even touching them or looking at a blitzing defender is purely coaching and making sure the eyes are correct.
Out of curiosity, besides playing for Nebraska and winning a national championship, what has Frost done in his tenure here to make you a big fan of him currently leading the program?

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Out of curiosity, besides playing for Nebraska and winning a national championship, what has Frost done in his tenure here to make you a big fan of him currently leading the program?
Nothing. It's really the only reason. It's the concept of it all. If he never played here or was ass or didn't win our last natty or whatever the case is, I wouldn't care if he was canned by now. Use Zac Taylor as an example, if he sucked as a HC here, I wouldn't care if he "wasn't given enough time".

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
I mean essentially what should have happened is Hixson should have came off the block and blocked the blitzing LB. Seems unreasonable for Cam to get there.
What should have happened is Jurgens helps Hixon because he has no A gap threat, he sees the blitzer, so should get heavy on the DL and ready to come off if he threatens his gap... Hixon should have stayed on with his man, but since he felt slanting pressure, she should have his eyes up and ready for a twist to his gap because of the slant. Jurgens also should have communicated with Hixon somehow...whatever their call is, and push Hixon to the looper.

Blackshirts_Win_'ships

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG
That's a shitty excuse. I'd say more often than not the boss is less concerned with details than the underlings. That's what underlings are for to some degree. Boss is big picture.

Doesn't mean it isn't true though.
Fair points in the corporate world. I’m not so sure that applies so directly to coaching, at least not at the college level. Sure, coaches have to be CEO types to an extent, but it’s not a sprawling corporation. The underlings are in more direct contact and take cues more directly as well.

I think Scott fails at both details and big picture, but isn’t advanced enough in his abilities to even differentiate between the two. You can’t possibly get the big picture right if you’ve never mastered the details at some point.

My suspicion is he’s lived the charmed life in his player and coaching career, exposed to the greats, but never truly understood what made them great or how to be truly great himself.

Blackshirts_Win_'ships

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG
Nothing. It's really the only reason. It's the concept of it all. If he never played here or was ass or didn't win our last natty or whatever the case is, I wouldn't care if he was canned by now. Use Zac Taylor as an example, if he sucked as a HC here, I wouldn't care if he "wasn't given enough time".
This is a pathetic point of view, for the record. Understandable, but pathetic. And exactly what is wrong with the entire AD/administration/regents. Hopefully, Turd can pull everyone’s heads out of their asses.

For the record, I know I’m a bit rough on you and your naïveté, but I do appreciate your honesty and fandom. I’m right there with you on wanting us to get back to beating the shit out of opponents...just very different ideas on how to actually do that or what that even looks like.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Fair points in the corporate world. I’m not so sure that applies so directly to coaching, at least not at the college level. Sure, coaches have to be CEO types to an extent, but it’s not a sprawling corporation. The underlings are in more direct contact and take cues more directly as well.

I think Scott fails at both details and big picture, but isn’t advanced enough in his abilities to even differentiate between the two. You can’t possibly get the big picture right if you’ve never mastered the details at some point.

My suspicion is he’s lived the charmed life in his player and coaching career, exposed to the greats, but never truly understood what made them great or how to be truly great himself.
I'm not sure he fails at the big picture stuff or not. We seem to lose by the details. Don't really have a strong feeling one way or the other.

Also agree college football isn't the corporate world. Blame flows up anyway. If the underlings aren't performing the boss needs to find ones that will.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
This is a pathetic point of view, for the record. Understandable, but pathetic. And exactly what is wrong with the entire AD/administration/regents. Hopefully, Turd can pull everyone’s heads out of their asses.

For the record, I know I’m a bit rough on you and your naïveté, but I do appreciate your honesty and fandom. I’m right there with you on wanting us to get back to beating the shit out of opponents...just very different ideas on how to actually do that or what that even looks like.
It can be pathetic, that's fine. It's my honest answer.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG

It can be pathetic, that's fine. It's my honest answer.
Haha I kinda feel both of your points of view. As a narrative, there is no doubt that Frost becoming what we all dreamed he would be in 2017 would be so goddamn fun and cathartic and feel like destiny has finally shined on us again. But so far it's like having a great idea for a movie and designing a great poster, but then the story structure and plotting and dialogue suck. The details have to add up in order for the big narrative to work out, and that hasn't happened (yet?).

Blackshirts_Win_'ships

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG
Haha I kinda feel both of your points of view. As a narrative, there is no doubt that Frost becoming what we all dreamed he would be in 2017 would be so goddamn fun and cathartic and feel like destiny has finally shined on us again. But so far it's like having a great idea for a movie and designing a great poster, but then the story structure and plotting and dialogue suck. The details have to add up in order for the big narrative to work out, and that hasn't happened (yet?).
Spoiler alert: it ain’t gonna happen.

Even when things go demonstrably better than anyone expects, the same ills rear their ugly head. That’s rot from the top. Irreversible rot.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Spoiler alert: it ain’t gonna happen.

Even when things go demonstrably better than anyone expects, the same ills rear their ugly head. That’s rot from the top. Irreversible rot.
giphy.gif

Boondock_St_Sker

That Dude
Elite Member
Piper is gone mentally. There is something wrong with the kid.

Greg Austin is a really good recruiter, but a pretty poor teacher. His days in Lincoln are numbered.
If Austin were a good recruiter why don't we have Valen Erickson or Ashton Craig...literally ZERO OL recruits this year. really good recruiter my ass
sexy the walking dead GIF

Boondock_St_Sker

That Dude
Elite Member
The O Line is not a cohesive unit. Maybe the calls and schemes they are trying to run are too much for a younger O Line, but that still is not enough excuse.

I'd probably simplify the O Line scheme and calls a bit, and let the entire line play more aggressive. How they play now is tentative, a step slow, whiffing and/or missing assignments. Letting guys through right across their face. It's as bad of O Line play as NU has had in.... forever.
Someone on here said, if you aren't committed 100% to knowing and understanding the schemes and calls, you can't play at 100%....or something like that.

Agree they should simplify...but what does that look like? zone blocking all the time?

tman87

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Someone on here said, if you aren't committed 100% to knowing and understanding the schemes and calls, you can't play at 100%....or something like that.

Agree they should simplify...but what does that look like? zone blocking all the time?

Some of the problem has to be on the players not executing. But if they are trying to execute poorly designed schemes, or overly complicated schemes, it has more chance of being ugly.

Simplifying may mean a change in blocking scheme, and I don't think that would be a bad thing, as what they are currently doing isn't working worth a shit.

It doesn't have to mean just "simplifying", though. I don't think what they are trying to get these kids to do makes sense enough.

Tough to pin the blame on any one thing though. We have seen enough tape of the games this year to see way too many breakdowns, of even simple O Line rules like, don't let a man cross your face. I think it is a combo of poor overall blocking scheme, poor technique too often, missed assignments by someone on the line almost every play, leading to lack of confidence, tentativeness and no cohesion on what the O Line guys are trying to accomplish. I also don't see our guys firing off the line much - which IMHO - is the antithesis of football in general, and O Line play often (obviously depending on the play called), overall. Tentative, a step slow and hesitant in what your assignment is make for bad football results.

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
If Austin were a good recruiter why don't we have Valen Erickson or Ashton Craig...literally ZERO OL recruits this year. really good recruiter my ass
sexy the walking dead GIF
We're struggling to recruit for all positions this class, not just OL. On top of that we only have the space to take one or two OL in this class.

I do think that other teams are having an easy time using negative recruiting against us. Frost looks like a lame-duck coach to a lot of people outside of NE and it wouldn't surprise me if that was a big reason why our 2022 class is such trash.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member

I know a lot of you are probably familiar with the podcast. It's Rob Zatechka's reaction to the OU game. Hopefully it linked correctly. Just wanted thoughts about it. Main take a ways so far that I care about.....

1. Rob hates the blocking scheme that Scott uses in his offense. Can't honestly say I'm a giant fan of it either. I tried to explain it a while ago but couldn't quite find the words. Basically Rob says our O-Line creates a "shield" against the D-Line and the RB is supposed to find the seam. When that "shield" gets penetrated, the whole thing blows up. Can be as simple as one O-Lineman losing their battle and it all blows up. Personally, I'm much more of a fan of hat on a hat and moving people out of the way to create holes for the RB.

2. He's on the fence about firing Greg Austin. Basically said Austin's track record as a coach is pretty good so he's a little puzzled there. Also said it's possible to blame whoever you want between players not executing or Austin for not coaching well enough, but also said it's very possible that Austin is hamstrung by what he teaches based on Scott's blocking scheme philosophy in the offense. Full disclosure, no secret around here I'm no expert on terminology or X's or O's but he said essentially everyone in the Big 10, for the most part, uses the same blocking scheme, that is successful, except for Nebraska, and the results show. Nebraska uses the same scheme as Oregon coincidentally, and these are the results for the Big 10. Soooooooooo basically a Frost problem? Also said, if I remember correctly, that the lack of pick up of blitzes by the O-Line is a coaching issue because that's very basic stuff to teach and 2 year starting lineman should be able to do that no problem.

I'll report back anything else interesting that I hear

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds