Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Things that make me rage - Shitty OL Play (3 Viewers)

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
If Austin were a good recruiter why don't we have Valen Erickson or Ashton Craig...literally ZERO OL recruits this year. really good recruiter my ass
sexy the walking dead GIF
I can't blame them much in Recruiting this year. Nobody thinks they're going to be around 2 years from now.

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member

I know a lot of you are probably familiar with the podcast. It's Rob Zatechka's reaction to the OU game. Hopefully it linked correctly. Just wanted thoughts about it. Main take a ways so far that I care about.....

1. Rob hates the blocking scheme that Scott uses in his offense. Can't honestly say I'm a giant fan of it either. I tried to explain it a while ago but couldn't quite find the words. Basically Rob says our O-Line creates a "shield" against the D-Line and the RB is supposed to find the seam. When that "shield" gets penetrated, the whole thing blows up. Can be as simple as one O-Lineman losing their battle and it all blows up. Personally, I'm much more of a fan of hat on a hat and moving people out of the way to create holes for the RB.

2. He's on the fence about firing Greg Austin. Basically said Austin's track record as a coach is pretty good so he's a little puzzled there. Also said it's possible to blame whoever you want between players not executing or Austin for not coaching well enough, but also said it's very possible that Austin is hamstrung by what he teaches based on Scott's blocking scheme philosophy in the offense. Full disclosure, no secret around here I'm no expert on terminology or X's or O's but he said essentially everyone in the Big 10, for the most part, uses the same blocking scheme, that is successful, except for Nebraska, and the results show. Nebraska uses the same scheme as Oregon coincidentally, and these are the results for the Big 10. Soooooooooo basically a Frost problem? Also said, if I remember correctly, that the lack of pick up of blitzes by the O-Line is a coaching issue because that's very basic stuff to teach and 2 year starting lineman should be able to do that no problem.

I'll report back anything else interesting that I hear

He made some good points. I have a hard time believing that this is all on Austin (or even mostly his fault).

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
He made some good points. I have a hard time believing that this is all on Austin (or even mostly his fault).
Just me personally I'm more of a hold players accountable before coaches kind of guy when it comes to game day. Coaches are paid to win games so why wouldn't they do everything in their power to do that? When I played college baseball, I always looked at myself when I screwed up on something, to get better, before blaming anything on my coach unless it was just something absolutely stupid. There were a couple instances of that but it was pretty rare overall in my career. I do that to this day.

I mean if it indeed is Frost's philosophy in the running game that makes it struggle, unfortunately the answer doesn't seem all that complicated if it doesn't work in the end. Tough pill to swallow there.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
but also said it's very possible that Austin is hamstrung by what he teaches based on Scott's blocking scheme philosophy in the offense
I want to lean this way, and feel it is possible. The OL coach does teach the schemes the HC wants....but he IS the run game coordinator. So that's on him. The pass pro world is a bit more limited compared to the run game. I'm sick of them sucking.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I want to lean this way, and feel it is possible. The OL coach does teach the schemes the HC wants....but he IS the run game coordinator. So that's on him. The pass pro world is a bit more limited compared to the run game. I'm sick of them sucking.
I go back a little bit to the argument that was had between whether young Farniok or Cam should start, based on Cam's lack of experience and early struggles. I think it was said that Austin wanted young Farniok while Frost basically forced Cam to learn through fire.

It begs the question to how much of the same page this staff is actually on with things? Does Austin actually want what Frost wants anymore scheme wise? Easy to be on the same page when you're winning.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Fuck I’m pissy watching those clips. What in the actual fuck. That’s flat out embarrassing. How do the my keep trotting those slugs out there. Something is seriously amiss here. There’s no way Austin is that incompetent to allow and not correct shit like that, continue to let it happen, or not replace people.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds