Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Things that make me rage - Shitty OL Play (2 Viewers)

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
You're not going to fix the line this year by inserting a true freshman. Offseason coaching change and then rolling with Teddy, Corcoran, Jurgens, ???, Benhart

Maybe
It's beyond the fixing point. Question is can you improve it a little with the bonus of getting people in spots where they'll be next year and the year after.

KidsSeeGhosts

Quarterback
Elite Member
The thing is this is 3 out of 4 years with shitty line play. At a certain point, the coaching just isn't there.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
@cwessel76 Question - Are the OL issues a result of personnel, scheme, or voodoo hex?

Deab answer - I think lack of experience and just poor execution are what I see. When guys completely miss on blocks, that's bad execution. I also wonder if a guy like Benhart might have to move to guard to pave the way for Teddy at tackle. The data has shown Benhart has really struggled as a Big Ten starting tackle.

Anybody else seeing Benhart move to guard?

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
@cwessel76 Question - Are the OL issues a result of personnel, scheme, or voodoo hex?

Deab answer - I think lack of experience and just poor execution are what I see. When guys completely miss on blocks, that's bad execution. I also wonder if a guy like Benhart might have to move to guard to pave the way for Teddy at tackle. The data has shown Benhart has really struggled as a Big Ten starting tackle.

I don't think Benhart can move well enough to be a Guard, but I'm no expert so who knows.

HCFord1

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG

Would he be the tallest guard to ever play football?

Hardknocks1

Linebacker
Elite Member
Not going to act like I’m some Rick Trickett, but always stressed blocking levels. Got to take care of the first level before climbing up the 2nd etc. plus with freezing the box a lot with zone reads/RPO’s you hope to maybe slow down backers a tad. We just seem unsure, and not comfortable with what we are doing. Should have a set of base running plays that your guys have confidence they can execute and succeed at regardless of whoever TF and whatever TF is put in front of them.

HuskerGarrett

If we die, we die
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
I understood some of those words
Good Burger Reading GIF

Blackshirts_Win_'ships

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG

HOW IN DA FUCK IS THIS NOT PICKED UP! This isn't hard....nor should it be fore a D1 staff. Take this clip...or the many numerous others Frost...go to Austin, and just say get out. It's year 4, and this shit isn't getting picked up. GTFO.

Can’t preach this one loud enough. It’s unfathomable that some think Austin should still be employed, let alone at a place that once employed the GOAT. Have some damn self-respect.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Can’t preach this one loud enough. It’s unfathomable that some think Austin should still be employed, let alone at a place that once employed the GOAT. Have some damn self-respect.
We argued about coaching/player faults a few weeks ago. I'll say this. Still a big fan of Frost as the head man and face of the program, don't care who calls plays. I'm starting to get on the find a new O-Line coach train though. Been far too many guys let through untouched these last few weeks for comfort. Simply a lineman getting beat is a player issue in my opinion, not even touching them or looking at a blitzing defender is purely coaching and making sure the eyes are correct.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG

HOW IN DA FUCK IS THIS NOT PICKED UP! This isn't hard....nor should it be fore a D1 staff. Take this clip...or the many numerous others Frost...go to Austin, and just say get out. It's year 4, and this shit isn't getting picked up. GTFO.

Just because Jim is dumber than shit when it comes to OL play, it might help him if you could shed light on how that gets picked up. He knows it should be but would appreciate the particulars.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Just because Jim is dumber than shit when it comes to OL play, it might help him if you could shed light on how that gets picked up. He knows it should be but would appreciate the particulars.
Okay. It's an empty set, so you've got empty protection. It's either BOB to the mike, or half slide to the mike. Either way. I don't care. The LB to the offenses left is the hot player, he goes, you have to throw off of him as your protection can't pick him up.

A) If it's BOB. Which I don't think it is because of Jurgens first step...But if it was BOB, Jurgens would help with the A gap defender to the ID'ed Mike ,the one on the offenses right. He blitzes, and whatever gap he goes to, that OL comes off, which should have been Hixon, but he's locked onto the 2 tech. Either way, it's a massive fail if it's BOB.

B) It's Half-Slide, which I think it is. Mike to the right is IDed. LT mans 2 LOS, LG mans 1 LOS. C/RG/RT Zone block A,B, C gaps. I'm guessing this is it, because Hixon stays on with him everywhere. And why the pressure gets home. But this is my biggest pet peeve. As an OL coach, you know...you know this is the weakness of half-slide. Man side spike with a zone side looper to the man side. You have to prepare for that shit, you know it's coming. Jurgens has no A gap threat, so he should backhand help Hixon on a 1 tech or in this case the 2 tech spike...which should immediately tell him..."HEY, there's another fucker coming." But he stays locked on like a slug, and they get an instant pressure. I saw a Mizzou OL coach speak a number of years ago on half-slide, that's all they ran...think it was Eberle at the time, but he was really good, and went into great detail on half-slide. And he basically said, you have to rep that exact look a lot, because that's the problem area, and your kids need to know how to pick up overloads coming to the man side. And that looks like it's not getting done. Shit that wasn't even a hard man size overload. And that's the reason I think Austin sucks and has to go. It's shit like this, that is just inexcusable.

Blackshirts_Win_'ships

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG
We argued about coaching/player faults a few weeks ago. I'll say this. Still a big fan of Frost as the head man and face of the program, don't care who calls plays. I'm starting to get on the find a new O-Line coach train though. Been far too many guys let through untouched these last few weeks for comfort. Simply a lineman getting beat is a player issue in my opinion, not even touching them or looking at a blitzing defender is purely coaching and making sure the eyes are correct.
Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Oline being trash is issue #1b.
Entire team tripping over their dick is issue #1a.

Both men responsible should pack their bags.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Okay. It's an empty set, so you've got empty protection. It's either BOB to the mike, or half slide to the mike. Either way. I don't care. The LB to the offenses left is the hot player, he goes, you have to throw off of him as your protection can't pick him up.

A) If it's BOB. Which I don't think it is because of Jurgens first step...But if it was BOB, Jurgens would help with the A gap defender to the ID'ed Mike ,the one on the offenses right. He blitzes, and whatever gap he goes to, that OL comes off, which should have been Hixon, but he's locked onto the 2 tech. Either way, it's a massive fail if it's BOB.

B) It's Half-Slide, which I think it is. Mike to the right is IDed. LT mans 2 LOS, LG mans 1 LOS. C/RG/RT Zone block A,B, C gaps. I'm guessing this is it, because Hixon stays on with him everywhere. And why the pressure gets home. But this is my biggest pet peeve. As an OL coach, you know...you know this is the weakness of half-slide. Man side spike with a zone side looper to the man side. You have to prepare for that shit, you know it's coming. Jurgens has no A gap threat, so he should backhand help Hixon on a 1 tech or in this case the 2 tech spike...which should immediately tell him..."HEY, there's another fucker coming." But he stays locked on like a slug, and they get an instant pressure. I saw a Mizzou OL coach speak a number of years ago on half-slide, that's all they ran...think it was Eberle at the time, but he was really good, and went into great detail on half-slide. And he basically said, you have to rep that exact look a lot, because that's the problem area, and your kids need to know how to pick up overloads coming to the man side. And that looks like it's not getting done. Shit that wasn't even a hard man size overload. And that's the reason I think Austin sucks and has to go. It's shit like this, that is just inexcusable.
I'm more confused than before @Baron Winnebago asked the question for me.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member

I have a question and I'm not sure how to word it.

Do you think Austin simply doesn't know how to coach all the scenarios and doesn't know the answer? Or is just bad at teaching it and maybe misses details? Has the answers but doesn't quite communicate it well enough?

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
I have a question and I'm not sure how to word it.

Do you think Austin simply doesn't know how to coach all the scenarios and doesn't know the answer? Or is just bad at teaching it and maybe misses details? Has the answers but doesn't quite communicate it well enough?
He 100% knows all of the scenarios. You don't get to that level without knowing those. You have to. It may be poor teaching or more likely, missing the details.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds