Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Things that make me rage - Shitty OL Play (1 Viewer)

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
I understood some of those words
That’s why zone is a whole different animal. There’s a lot of ways to do it and work your doubles and make different combo calls to get the job done. We work a ton of what we call wedge 90 and gallop tech to get to wedge 90. Work the guy vertical. Easy to come off on backers. Maybe the Husker OL is doing some of this. I don’t know I don’t have the time or have the want to, to actually go look. But just based on live plays and how quickly they peel off to the 2nd level. I don’t think they are doing this type of zone.

also, when you have that many tools in your tool box to block zone. Those techs carry over to gap scheme stuff. If their running power/counter. Same skills. Same types of doubles to get the job done. It’s almost a necessity anymore with the freak level of DL to get 4 legs on 2 legs. Or you get the disruption that we see with our OL IMO.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
That’s why zone is a whole different animal. There’s a lot of ways to do it and work your doubles and make different combo calls to get the job done. We work a ton of what we call wedge 90 and gallop tech to get to wedge 90. Work the guy vertical. Easy to come off on backers. Maybe the Husker OL is doing some of this. I don’t know I don’t have the time or have the want to, to actually go look. But just based on live plays and how quickly they peel off to the 2nd level. I don’t think they are doing this type of zone.

also, when you have that many tools in your tool box to block zone. Those techs carry over to gap scheme stuff. If their running power/counter. Same skills. Same types of doubles to get the job done. It’s almost a necessity anymore with the freak level of DL to get 4 legs on 2 legs. Or you get the disruption that we see with our OL IMO.
They try to gallup I feel, but they are like bambi and aren't physical enough to get vertical movement. They then are too quick to get to second level without taking care of down linemen.

They seem to be better at comboing on power or that FS handoff play they used pulling Cam they used vs OU. I think it is because they think they have more time to work to the LB or what.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
They try to gallup I feel, but they are like bambi and aren't physical enough to get vertical movement. They then are too quick to get to second level without taking care of down linemen.

They seem to be better at comboing on power or that FS handoff play they used pulling Cam they used vs OU. I think it is because they think they have more time to work to the LB or what.
I just can't believe they aren't physical enough to execute a good gallop double. They climb so fast on their doubles, it's just weird to me. It's almost like if they don't hit someone by their 3rd step, they're taught to climb to the second level. I don't know. I just don't like it very much.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
I just can't believe they aren't physical enough to execute a good gallop double. They climb so fast on their doubles, it's just weird to me. It's almost like if they don't hit someone by their 3rd step, they're taught to climb to the second level. I don't know. I just don't like it very much.
I mean do you think Hixson, Pieper and Sichtermann are overly physical guys? I just don't see them being able to throw a good shoulder and then get to 2nd level. So they freak out and rush it to get to the 2nd level.

Yes there are times they don't even try it seems...mainly Pieper IMO...

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
I mean do you think Hixson, Pieper and Sichtermann are overly physical guys? I just don't see them being able to throw a good shoulder and then get to 2nd level. So they freak out and rush it to get to the 2nd level.

Yes there are times they don't even try it seems...mainly Pieper IMO...
They obviously have some weight room strength. And they’re all 300 lbs plus. They should be able to gallop and get movement. You see Cam climb pretty quick too. I personally think part of the problem is not staying square long enough to get that vertical movement. Just me, but I don’t see how guys like we have can’t get a good vert double. It’s just baffling to me. They’re not some weak ass scrubs. They put up a ton of weight in the weight room. They’ve got to have some power to them. But then again. Piper on that blocked kick got ejected like Dylan utter. Woof

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Always thought Sichtermann and Hixson were mentally pussies. Never liked Sichtermann and the same thing happened to Hixson at Minnesota in 2019, got knocked on his ass by a D-Lineman. Starting to lean that way for Piper as well. If you're not a pussy, you don't get your manhood taken from you on a PAT attempt.

Cornicator

Cornerback
Insider
Always thought Sichtermann and Hixson were mentally pussies. Never liked Sichtermann and the same thing happened to Hixson at Minnesota in 2019, got knocked on his ass by a D-Lineman. Starting to lean that way for Piper as well. If you're not a pussy, you don't get your manhood taken from you on a PAT attempt.

Piper is gone mentally. There is something wrong with the kid.

Greg Austin is a really good recruiter, but a pretty poor teacher. His days in Lincoln are numbered.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Piper is gone mentally. There is something wrong with the kid.

Greg Austin is a really good recruiter, but a pretty poor teacher. His days in Lincoln are numbered.
Heard good things about you. Welcome!

Yeah not sure what to make of Piper other than I think he's just not aggressive enough. I can't comment on mental capacity as I don't fully understand X's and Os anyway.

I honestly like Greg Austin and what he preaches, but they just look too lost too deep in this staff's tenure. Guys shouldn't be confused by different fronts anymore or have bull rushers up the middle flat out not touched.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
How long before Teddy P takes over at LT and Corcoran moves to LG

I think Teddy P has the skills for tackle but he still needs to get stronger. I really didn't buy into Corcoran not being a tackle after watching him play against Rutgers. Alas that was Rutgers. He's definitely been exposed over there this seaso . Definitely has more of a guard skillset.

Bottom line how much worse could it be putting Teddy at tackle where you know he's going to have a long career and shoring up that left guard spot with Corcoran. You want the best 5 on the field but is there really a drop off between Teddy and whoever lines up at left guard?

Someone smarter than me should answer though.

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
I think Teddy P has the skills for tackle but he still needs to get stronger. I really didn't buy into Corcoran not being a tackle after watching him play against Rutgers. Alas that was Rutgers. He's definitely been exposed over there this seaso . Definitely has more of a guard skillset.

Bottom line how much worse could it be putting Teddy at tackle where you know he's going to have a long career and shoring up that left guard spot with Corcoran. You want the best 5 on the field but is there really a drop off between Teddy and whoever lines up at left guard?

@slattimer

Cornicator

Cornerback
Insider

Corcoran wasn't ever tested by a pass rusher vs. Rutgers.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG

I think that sounds good.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
You're not going to fix the line this year by inserting a true freshman. Offseason coaching change and then rolling with Teddy, Corcoran, Jurgens, ???, Benhart

Maybe

tman87

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
The O Line is not a cohesive unit. Maybe the calls and schemes they are trying to run are too much for a younger O Line, but that still is not enough excuse.

I'd probably simplify the O Line scheme and calls a bit, and let the entire line play more aggressive. How they play now is tentative, a step slow, whiffing and/or missing assignments. Letting guys through right across their face. It's as bad of O Line play as NU has had in.... forever.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
The O Line is not a cohesive unit. Maybe the calls and schemes they are trying to run are too much for a younger O Line, but that still is not enough excuse.

I'd probably simplify the O Line scheme and calls a bit, and let the entire line play more aggressive. How they play now is tentative, a step slow, whiffing and/or missing assignments. Letting guys through right across their face. It's as bad of O Line play as NU has had in.... forever.
2015 or 2016 when Tanner was qb. Seemed like he got sacked every other play. Granted Martinez is much better at escaping pressure.

tman87

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
2015 or 2016 when Tanner was qb. Seemed like he got sacked every other play. Granted Martinez is much better at escaping pressure.

Yeah, that year was bad also. Not sure if it was this bad, but maybe. Both years were some of the worst O Line play since the early 60's probably (before my time but I think we were pretty bad pre Bobfather).

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG

Still not an excuse as you mentioned.

Almost all of these guys played high level high school football. They have line calls. It's not like it's foreign to them. I think they are hopefully finding a few schemes they're good at in the run game and will hang their hat on those, but I get the feeling they tailor their game plan more towards what defense they expect to see, instead of, making sure your base is good vs everything and running things no matter what the look.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds