Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Things that make me rage - Shitty OL Play (1 Viewer)

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
I don't know how to put it into words without rambling on and on but he just seems like a nice dude who really doesn't have a desire to really punish anyone. Same with both Farniok boys. Honestly I get that same feeling from Benhart and Piper too. I think Cam and Turner have "it". They seem like dudes who would "flip" if you hit the wrong button in their head and they'd smash you into a wall.
I'll just say this...you don't have to be a "mean" or "nasty" person to excel on the OL. I've played with and coached numerous nice guys and mean guys that were really good OL. What separates the good OL and not good OL is confidence in technique and ability to execute the technique, that's what produces aggressive OLs IMO.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I'll just say this...you don't have to be a "mean" or "nasty" person to excel on the OL. I've played with and coached numerous nice guys and mean guys that were really good OL. What separates the good OL and not good OL is confidence in technique and ability to execute the technique, that's what produces aggressive OLs IMO.
I apologize I skipped the mastering the technique part.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Alright dudes—what am I missing with Jaimes? He seems like a pretty good pass blocker, but man does that dude seem to struggle with run blocking for a 5-6 round draft pick.
I mean we will have a step back in pass pro from Turner, but we will gain something in run blocking.

I mean shit Frost went right behind him to ice the Rutgers game last year.

KidsSeeGhosts

Quarterback
Elite Member
I mean we will have a step back in pass pro from Turner, but we will gain something in run blocking.

I mean shit Frost went right behind him to ice the Rutgers game last year.

Yeah, the reports on Turner are encouraging. It is depressing seeing how many times we schemed up tackle v. LB or DB and tripped on our dicks.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Yeah, the reports on Turner are encouraging. It is depressing seeing how many times we schemed up tackle v. LB or DB and tripped on our dicks.
I mean you put an OT on a DB in the open field that is tough for the lineman. You almost need to make sure you either make the block or miss to the right side.

You get a dancing bear out in space trying to block a rabbit isn't going to end well all the time.

KidsSeeGhosts

Quarterback
Elite Member
I mean you put an OT on a DB in the open field that is tough for the lineman. You almost need to make sure you either make the block or miss to the right side.

You get a dancing bear out in space trying to block a rabbit isn't going to end well all the time.

I’m probably underestimating difficulty level b/c I never played line. I see tackles crush people on sweep stuff and Coastal Carolina arcs their tackles like crazy to get outside on DBs. Prob have to have the right personnel to do that consistently?

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
I’m probably underestimating difficulty level b/c I never played line. I see tackles crush people on sweep stuff and Coastal Carolina arcs their tackles like crazy to get outside on DBs. Prob have to have the right personnel to do that consistently?
Look at the size of their OL. Shit I think their center last year was 5'7".

Whenever I look at an OT going out on a DB I want to get the block, but sometimes the best you can hope is to miss on the right side. That way the DB has a longer way to go to make a play.

@slattimer can probably expand on it more, but you are asking a lot from a OT to be out in space on DBs.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Look at the size of their OL. Shit I think their center last year was 5'7".

Whenever I look at an OT going out on a DB I want to get the block, but sometimes the best you can hope is to miss on the right side. That way the DB has a longer way to go to make a play.

@slattimer can probably expand on it more, but you are asking a lot from a OT to be out in space on DBs.
Blocking in space is all leverage. You give them a two way go. You aren’t blocking them. Basically force them around you to one side or go through you. It sucks running out and blocking those little fuckers. But when you get them. You try to end their life.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Blocking in space is all leverage. You give them a two way go. You aren’t blocking them. Basically force them around you to one side or go through you. It sucks running out and blocking those little fuckers. But when you get them. You try to end their life.
Funny you talk about ending their life.

One of my most memorable plays was running a speed option away from me. BSLB blitz and we never blocked BSDE on runs away. So that triggered me to third level. I tracked the safety all the way to the sideline where our RB had turned the corner.

Anyway the safety over ran it and the RB cut inside and it set up the kill shot. The safety fucking stopped and I sent 5 yards in the air taking out our team photographer.

Ok no more reliving the glory day stories.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
@slattimer why is that you usually have your best WR at X spot?

Like I get that if your best WR is a shorter quick guy you will want him in the slot to get the matchups and releases, but why do you put your better WR typically at X vs Z?

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Funny you talk about ending their life.

One of my most memorable plays was running a speed option away from me. BSLB blitz and we never blocked BSDE on runs away. So that triggered me to third level. I tracked the safety all the way to the sideline where our RB had turned the corner.

Anyway the safety over ran it and the RB cut inside and it set up the kill shot. The safety fucking stopped and I sent 5 yards in the air taking out our team photographer.

Ok no more reliving the glory day stories.
We had some shitty QBs when I was in college, would throw a lot of picks. We were playing our rival and of course one of our dipshits throws a terrible pick, so I'm sprinting over to the sideline after the $ picked it, and this midget corner is out leading the way for the $, kind of pointing guys out like he's going to block someone...lol. I didn't even try for the ball carrier, I just blasted this dipshit into our bench. Fucking crushed his ass, and one of our FBs from Arizona ran up and kicked the dude in the stomach hard when he was writhing around on the ground...College ball is a different animal. Fuck that was fun.

@slattimer why is that you usually have your best WR at X spot?

Like I get that if your best WR is a shorter quick guy you will want him in the slot to get the matchups and releases, but why do you put your better WR typically at X vs Z?
I think because those are your guys that are typically going to run those deep routes like posts, fades, and deep crossers where you want a big deep threat. Kind of like how we talked about the Y-cross/3verts concept. I'd want my best receiver running the seam read because that's where you want to the ball going most of the time.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
We had some shitty QBs when I was in college, would throw a lot of picks. We were playing our rival and of course one of our dipshits throws a terrible pick, so I'm sprinting over to the sideline after the $ picked it, and this midget corner is out leading the way for the $, kind of pointing guys out like he's going to block someone...lol. I didn't even try for the ball carrier, I just blasted this dipshit into our bench. Fucking crushed his ass, and one of our FBs from Arizona ran up and kicked the dude in the stomach hard when he was writhing around on the ground...College ball is a different animal. Fuck that was fun.
I miss playing football so much.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
I miss playing football so much.
Agreed. Next best thing is coaching it. Wish I would have stuck it out longer in college. Transferred and just finished school after a few years. Started out as a TE but out grew the position and they moved me inside to guard, which I enjoyed a lot more considering that's what I played in high school. Played in a pro-style IZ/OZ 1 back system.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Agreed. Next best thing is coaching it. Wish I would have stuck it out longer in college. Transferred and just finished school after a few years. Started out as a TE but out grew the position and they moved me inside to guard, which I enjoyed a lot more considering that's what I played in high school. Played in a pro-style IZ/OZ 1 back system.
Ya I played center until my senior year and they kicked me out to LT. Liked playing LT as it was easier I felt. Didn't have to dick with the snap and just had to be good with angles to play leverage then move your feet.

You would have had fun calling plays for out offense.
  • D1 QB @ KSU who played for a cup of coffee with the Seahawks. Now coaching at ISU as a GA
  • D1 WR for Ohio - QBs older brother.
  • Starting safeties for South Dakota State they were our RBs and FB.
  • Center ended up being the NG for IWCC and SDSU
We were a gun team or 2 back under center. Ran 100% gap scheme. Power ISO Blast G Iso Option Scissors Trap Counter Trey

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
@slattimer do you think that Nebraska's passing game is simpler than their running game concepts? If so, is that normal?
My opinion is it can be simple but appear complex. As far as concepts go, I think it's fairly simple. But in terms of who gets to different spots in the progression can be quite complex. We've talked Y-Cross and 4 verts some. They've got a ton of ways to run 4 verts and adjustments to 4 verts. Same goes for Y-cross. It's nice for the QB as you get the same picture a lot. But I guess it doesn't lend itself well to the skill players and different words change who goes where in the concept, or adjustments to the concept. It's all good and well on paper. But if you can't get your dudes on the field...then what...

I think the run game is a lot more complex because of the variance they use, the amount of scheme they potentially have, and with RPOs attached, it makes it a pretty big menu. They've also got some pretty neat stuff like pairing bash with sprint out they've used some.

I think it's fairly normal. I feel like to have answers and put guys in complex to mess with their fits, your run game has to be a little more complex.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
@slattimer what's your thoughts on this play?

Tough to tell given the angle.

IZr with that arrow option?
Is the defense lined up right? LBs are shaded heavy to the left.
Is that how the center is so supposed to block this? Love the physicality but shouldn't he be trying to climb to MLB?
If we block the 3 tech it seems like this is set up better.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds