Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Things that make me rage - Shitty OL Play (1 Viewer)

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Figured this would be a good thread for me to ask a question I've always wondered about:

What is going through a guy like Frost's mind when he gets asked anything even remotely technical by a layman journalist, fan, administrator, etc.? I imagine if the stuff being posted about on here is like Greek to many of us, the level at which a dude like Frost understands the game is basically incomprehensible. I have to imagine there are a lot of frustrating moments where people assume they know more than they do and then a need to find ways to translate all this stuff into either cliches or something meaningful but understandable. Must be weird.
But seriously, with how complex defenses are and what they can do in the coverage and blitz world, the common fan doesn't have a fucking clue. Shit, I don't have a fucking clue in some of those areas. The advent of match principles in zone coverage makes defenses incredibly complex, and I'm always impressed by some dudes on Twitter that can call out almost immediately, Oh, that's Stubbie, or Oh that's Special, or Solo, or Mint Miami Stubbie Chop....

Johannes de Silentio

Safety
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
But seriously, with how complex defenses are and what they can do in the coverage and blitz world, the common fan doesn't have a fucking clue. Shit, I don't have a fucking clue in some of those areas. The advent of match principles in zone coverage makes defenses incredibly complex, and I'm always impressed by some dudes on Twitter that can call out almost immediately, Oh, that's Stubbie, or Oh that's Special, or Solo, or Mint Miami Stubbie Chop....
I'd love to hear Frost go completely technical in an interview one time, even if I didn't understand any of it.

HCFord1

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Ah, good ole Mint Miami Stubbie Chop. Classic.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Figured this would be a good thread for me to ask a question I've always wondered about:

What is going through a guy like Frost's mind when he gets asked anything even remotely technical by a layman journalist, fan, administrator, etc.? I imagine if the stuff being posted about on here is like Greek to many of us, the level at which a dude like Frost understands the game is basically incomprehensible. I have to imagine there are a lot of frustrating moments where people assume they know more than they do and then a need to find ways to translate all this stuff into either cliches or something meaningful but understandable. Must be weird.
Frost underestimates my football knowledge.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Oh, that's Stubbie, or Oh that's Special, or Solo, or Mint Miami Stubbie Chop....
good burger I know some of these words GIF

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Not OL play, but some day 1 install type stuff in the PAP/Pass game.

Nebraska calls it Saints, some people call lit Y-cross. They describe it as a Hi/Lo Sweeps.

Screenshot 2021-04-07 133325.png

So one example here of the basic concept. Doesn't matter the combination of the routes being run, it's the same picture for the QB if they get to the right spots as in the figure below. Some Dan Gonzalez stuff that I'm a big fan of.

Screenshot 2021-04-07 133352.png

Anyways, saw a clip of practice and this would be the backside part of the concept. #2 receiver is running the Y-Cross. The backside #1 is working the high portion, which can be a number of things including a skinny post as in the diagram or converting it to a post/corner. They ran this combo a shit ton when AM was a freshman and was really good to them, not so much last year. If you've got a backside #1, it's one of the best concepts in football. Really similar to 4 verts, which is how we basically treat it.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG

Nebraska calls it Saints, some people call lit Y-cross. They describe it as a Hi/Lo Sweeps.

View attachment 2488

So one example here of the basic concept. Doesn't matter the combination of the routes being run, it's the same picture for the QB if they get to the right spots as in the figure below. Some Dan Gonzalez stuff that I'm a big fan of.

View attachment 2489

Anyways, saw a clip of practice and this would be the backside part of the concept. #2 receiver is running the Y-Cross. The backside #1 is working the high portion, which can be a number of things including a skinny post as in the diagram or converting it to a post/corner. They ran this combo a shit ton when AM was a freshman and was really good to them, not so much last year. If you've got a backside #1, it's one of the best concepts in football. Really similar to 4 verts, which is how we basically treat it.

I feel like the only guy who was open on that play for us was that over drag.

Maybe I did a bad job of catching it, but this seems like a core play that the ball usually hits that cross.

KidsSeeGhosts

Quarterback
Elite Member

View attachment 2488

View attachment 2489

Good shit dude. I know this was a staple at UCF and seemed like we ran it a lot in 2018. Feel like our only pass play in 2020 was mesh. Lack of receiver talent has really fucked us.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
I feel like the only guy who was open on that play for us was that over drag.

Maybe I did a bad job of catching it, but this seems like a core play that the ball usually hits that cross.
That's why we've treated it like 4 verts without the backside vert the last several years. We've gotten more bang for our buck working the frontside hash with the Y-cross that way, and has helped open up the backside hash.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds