Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Lettuce discuss Angel Reese (2 Viewers)

BIG TONE SOPRANO

Really Big Truck
Elite Member
In case anyone else was wondering ...

UYBPOFHRZYREBCL.20130924172131.JPG

Another one of your stories, Lawrence?

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
I don't think it is racist... I think it is fucking stupid...

There are winners and losers... Winners get to talk shit

Suck it Cockeye
https%3A%2F%2Fhuskercorner.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fimagn-images%2F2017%2F07%2F19502039-850x560.jpeg

Guess what state the elections typically start in?

They'll politicize anything FFS

BIG TONE SOPRANO

Really Big Truck
Elite Member
I’m just really really happy that more men will now be watching all women’s sports but mostly each and every WNBA game. Progress

BBTown Bomber

In Memoriam 1952-2023
tPB OG
I thought what the LSU chick did was dumb. I didn’t watch the game though so maybe i missed something. Didn’t watch mainly cause it’s women’s sports and I can’t watch it. I’ve tried, same thing always happens. Watch for a few minutes, get bored, turn on something else. 🤷‍♂️
So no Husker VB in the fall? 🤷

BBTown Bomber

In Memoriam 1952-2023
tPB OG
I had no idea who either of these people were until this week, but let me see if I can get the gist:

• Caitlin Clark was an asshole at times throughout her career, but the general public didn't know this because most of them don't watch women's college bball. She is also a phenom, and white.
  • Angel Reese had a tough upbringing and many people in the women's college bball world have called her "too ghetto" and similar things like that throughout her career. She is also one of the best players in the country, and black.
  • Caitlin Clark has a signature taunt, which she got from John Cena, a professional wrestler. She did it in an earlier tourney game and casual fans thought it was cool and funny. The clip I've seen made it seem like she was not directing it at any particular person, which could have been the case but could have been the camera angle.
  • Angel Reese called out Clark for some of her actions earlier in the tournament and said she was disrespectful. To me it felt like a team grasping at straws for bulletin board material, but whatever, it's sports.
  • A huge amount of people tuned into the championship game to see Caitlin Clark because they heard she was a phenom. That included a TON of people who didn't pay attention to the season, didn't know the backstories of the players, thought they were tuning in to watch America's Sweetheart (who they just learned about two days earlier) win a championship.
  • After LSU won, Angel Reese did Caitlin Clark's signature taunt move at her, and briefly kinda followed her around pointing to her ring finger because her team won the ring. She also called her out in postgame interviews. The clip got posted allllll over the internet and sports tv.
  • Casual fans were immediately turned off and called her classless, undoubtedly a lot of them had no idea of any context or history, and a lot of them were probably somewhat racist too.
  • The Internet jumped to Reese's defense by saying people were judging her more harshly because she was black, and nobody had a problem with it when Clark did it.
I think that's a pretty fair summary, right?... My view is that there were obviously some people who went haywire on Reese because they inherently don't like black people, BUT I think many more people are just turned off by taunting in general. There's a portion of fans who think there's no such thing as sportsmanship, and that anything and everything is just part of the game, and the drama is just part of the soap opera of modern sports... but those people are a small portion. The internet just amplifies them. Most people don't like that shit and would rather watch people celebrate a championship with happiness and great vibes, not mocking the losers, even IF "they did it first."

People didn't judge Caitlin Clark as harshly because, simply, very few of them knew she did it. And even when you see both clips back to back, whether it was the camera angle or not, it APPEARS that Reese was following her around and making it more personal, compared to Clark just doing it to the open air.

So yeah, I think people probably went overboard in their criticism of Reese (like that asshole Dave Portnoy from Barstool), but I don't agree with propping her up as a hero for taunting either. There's a reason the Bad Boy Pistons were universally hated in the late 80s/early 90s, it was because they did shit like that all the time. They owned it, and it seems like Clark and Reese both own it too. Embracing the dark side, THAT is part of sports sometimes, and villains can be fun! But it doesn't mean we all have to pretend it's actually "good" and cheer for it.

(Also the fact that the uproar is over women's bball players feels kinda paternalistic, like The Internet feels like they have to protect either of these poor basketball stars from taunting and/or criticism because they're women.)

If I was a women's bball fan, I would be stoked to follow this rivalry into the WNBA! But I'm not, so I probably won't ever hear about them again. Just another day on the internet!
Even our resident “Wordsmith” @LoudHogRider would hopefully agree that this is a well crafted effort. Pretty much echos everything I have witnessed. Clark is the fucking bomb, I love her confidence, height mattered and I wasn’t one bit surprised that LSU won the last game.

There ya go, from a Beebeetown boy.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
I had no idea who either of these people were until this week, but let me see if I can get the gist:

• Caitlin Clark was an asshole at times throughout her career, but the general public didn't know this because most of them don't watch women's college bball. She is also a phenom, and white.
  • Angel Reese had a tough upbringing and many people in the women's college bball world have called her "too ghetto" and similar things like that throughout her career. She is also one of the best players in the country, and black.
  • Caitlin Clark has a signature taunt, which she got from John Cena, a professional wrestler. She did it in an earlier tourney game and casual fans thought it was cool and funny. The clip I've seen made it seem like she was not directing it at any particular person, which could have been the case but could have been the camera angle.
  • Angel Reese called out Clark for some of her actions earlier in the tournament and said she was disrespectful. To me it felt like a team grasping at straws for bulletin board material, but whatever, it's sports.
  • A huge amount of people tuned into the championship game to see Caitlin Clark because they heard she was a phenom. That included a TON of people who didn't pay attention to the season, didn't know the backstories of the players, thought they were tuning in to watch America's Sweetheart (who they just learned about two days earlier) win a championship.
  • After LSU won, Angel Reese did Caitlin Clark's signature taunt move at her, and briefly kinda followed her around pointing to her ring finger because her team won the ring. She also called her out in postgame interviews. The clip got posted allllll over the internet and sports tv.
  • Casual fans were immediately turned off and called her classless, undoubtedly a lot of them had no idea of any context or history, and a lot of them were probably somewhat racist too.
  • The Internet jumped to Reese's defense by saying people were judging her more harshly because she was black, and nobody had a problem with it when Clark did it.
I think that's a pretty fair summary, right?... My view is that there were obviously some people who went haywire on Reese because they inherently don't like black people, BUT I think many more people are just turned off by taunting in general. There's a portion of fans who think there's no such thing as sportsmanship, and that anything and everything is just part of the game, and the drama is just part of the soap opera of modern sports... but those people are a small portion. The internet just amplifies them. Most people don't like that shit and would rather watch people celebrate a championship with happiness and great vibes, not mocking the losers, even IF "they did it first."

People didn't judge Caitlin Clark as harshly because, simply, very few of them knew she did it. And even when you see both clips back to back, whether it was the camera angle or not, it APPEARS that Reese was following her around and making it more personal, compared to Clark just doing it to the open air.

So yeah, I think people probably went overboard in their criticism of Reese (like that asshole Dave Portnoy from Barstool), but I don't agree with propping her up as a hero for taunting either. There's a reason the Bad Boy Pistons were universally hated in the late 80s/early 90s, it was because they did shit like that all the time. They owned it, and it seems like Clark and Reese both own it too. Embracing the dark side, THAT is part of sports sometimes, and villains can be fun! But it doesn't mean we all have to pretend it's actually "good" and cheer for it.

(Also the fact that the uproar is over women's bball players feels kinda paternalistic, like The Internet feels like they have to protect either of these poor basketball stars from taunting and/or criticism because they're women.)

If I was a women's bball fan, I would be stoked to follow this rivalry into the WNBA! But I'm not, so I probably won't ever hear about them again. Just another day on the internet!
Jesus....all these words about women's basketball.

Embarrassed Shame GIF

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Look man, to each their own and theres enough to do in a day besides watch something you don't like, but do you watch Nebraska men's basketball? If so, are you really going to sit there and tell me a national title game where a team scored 102 points is boring? Because I'm going to throw a fiesta down by the moon tower the next time our men's scrubs break 80
The key there was "men's basketball". I don't care how many points a women's team scores it's still worse than watching class d1 high school boys.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds