Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Yard Care (2 Viewers)

COYS

Linebacker
How can I control clover? I get large patches every year and all the grass places do is sell me on chemicals to spray it.

Toe

Wide Receiver
Clover is a perennial, so if you don't kill it, it will definitely come back. A properly-timed pre-emergent can help. Beyond that, same as any weed: one of the best defenses against weeds is just having a good, thick lawn with no room for weeds to take root.

Frogsker30

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Saw this on the TikTok machine. Any insight on it? I have a small backyard like 10ft by 30 feet. Where my doggo goes. It’s definitely been trampled on by us and her taking her out.

1HuskerDad

Head Coach
My wife and I were sitting on our back deck last weekend after I mowed and she said to me “Turn around to see how good those flowers I planted look!”
I replied “I’m too busy looking at how great my lawn looks!”😉😂

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Won’t have to worry about running sprinklers again this week. Need to throw down another round of fertilizer

Toe

Wide Receiver
Saw this on the TikTok machine. Any insight on it? I have a small backyard like 10ft by 30 feet. Where my doggo goes. It’s definitely been trampled on by us and her taking her out.

Seems like the worst of both worlds to me TBH. I'd just go with a high-quality fake turf if you're gonna go that route.

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
Rubber tire mulch - yay or nay?

I've heard plusses and minuses on both, with the minuses that are consistently mentioned being environmental. I want to know if it's going to stink more than year one, or give me cancer if I'm surrounded by rubber mulch on my patio.

We did try it on one of our front trees....3 small bags. It looks great and you cannot even tell it's rubber. We also did a blower test and the regular mulch seemed to be lighter than rubber.

All opinions welcome!

Last edited:

Frogsker30

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Seems like the worst of both worlds to me TBH. I'd just go with a high-quality fake turf if you're gonna go that route.
What would you recommend for real grass that will be high traffic? Is it too late in the season to fix that.
The grass is still green and alive, the area is just a solid inch or so. which is lower than the other areas at about 3.75 inches

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Last weekend I mixed the 2-4 d a little heavy....got some nice brown spots where I spot sprayed dandelions....idiot!
Going to lay some Q4 down tonight after I mow. Hoping it soaks in before the rain hits tomorrow.

alt f4

Administrator
Admin
Insider
Rubber tire mulch - yay or nay?

I've heard plusses and minuses on both, with the minuses that are consistently mentioned being environmental. I want to know if it's going to stink more than year one, or give me cancer if I'm surrounded by rubber mulch on my patio.

We did try it on one of our front trees....3 small bags. It looks great and you cannot even tell it's rubber. We also did a blower test and the regular mulch seemed to be lighter than rubber.

All opinions welcome!

My parents did rubber mulch in the kid's play area - she does in-home daycare, plus for the grand kids. I talked to them about it because I was thinking about doing it around our playset and some other areas in our yard. I decided against it.

This is from a point of view of kids playing or people walking on it.

Pros
1. Never have to remulch and it hasn't lost it's color in the 4 years they had it.
2. Much softer for the kids to walk and play on vs wood.
3. Expensive up-front, you'll quickly save long term.

Cons
1. Dosn't retain water, so if you're doing around landscape, it won't retain water for the plants.
2. It does get a little warm in the hot summer months. They hose it down to cool it down.
3. It stunk for a while.
4. They expanded the play area and when they tore up grass around it they found a bunch of ground up rubber pieces, more than likely pieces that flew out and mowed over or tiny pieces that got knocked/blown over into the grass.
5. It blows around and moves around pretty easy in the wind so it mounds up and they have to re-flatten it.

vailhusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
This must've been the "grass killing" version of Roundup. Ha ha! She was so nice.
Luckily he's not much of a yard guy, which is probably why she was doing it the first place🤣. Great guy that would do anything for you, but is always super busy between his and his families businesses and their kids sports. He definitely has the money to have someone do it for him but still tries to save a few bucks and do it himself which usually ends up costing him more in the long run.

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
My parents did rubber mulch in the kid's play area - she does in-home daycare, plus for the grand kids. I talked to them about it because I was thinking about doing it around our playset and some other areas in our yard. I decided against it.

This is from a point of view of kids playing or people walking on it.

Pros
1. Never have to remulch and it hasn't lost it's color in the 4 years they had it.
2. Much softer for the kids to walk and play on vs wood.
3. Expensive up-front, you'll quickly save long term.

Cons
1. Dosn't retain water, so if you're doing around landscape, it won't retain water for the plants.
2. It does get a little warm in the hot summer months. They hose it down to cool it down.
3. It stunk for a while.
4. They expanded the play area and when they tore up grass around it they found a bunch of ground up rubber pieces, more than likely pieces that flew out and mowed over or tiny pieces that got knocked/blown over into the grass.
5. It blows around and moves around pretty easy in the wind so it mounds up and they have to re-flatten it.

Appreciate this input BTW.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds