Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Yard Care (2 Viewers)

Toe

Wide Receiver
Rubber tire mulch - yay or nay?

I've heard plusses and minuses on both, with the minuses that are consistently mentioned being environmental. I want to know if it's going to stink more than year one, or give me cancer if I'm surrounded by rubber mulch on my patio.

We did try it on one of our front trees....3 small bags. It looks great and you cannot even tell it's rubber. We also did a blower test and the regular mulch seemed to be lighter than rubber.

All opinions welcome!

The primary purpose of mulch is supposed to be to feed and protect your plants (including protecting the roots, which is much more important than a lot of people realize). This rubber 'mulch' and gravel 'mulch' stuff really doesn't do crap for that. In the long run they also tend to end up embedded in the dirt, which can be a pain in the ass to deal with in the future. And yeah, there's definitely some questionable chemicals released by rubber mulch.

What would you recommend for real grass that will be high traffic? Is it too late in the season to fix that.
The grass is still green and alive, the area is just a solid inch or so. which is lower than the other areas at about 3.75 inches

Are you doing a cool-season or warm-season lawn? Look for something that tolerates high traffic (might say recommended for sports fields or something) and salt tolerant (which tends to hold up better to pee). If you want to get fancy, look up what has performed well in NTEP evaluations near you: https://www.ntep.org/

Frogsker30

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
The primary purpose of mulch is supposed to be to feed and protect your plants (including protecting the roots, which is much more important than a lot of people realize). This rubber 'mulch' and gravel 'mulch' stuff really doesn't do crap for that. In the long run they also tend to end up embedded in the dirt, which can be a pain in the ass to deal with in the future. And yeah, there's definitely some questionable chemicals released by rubber mulch.

Are you doing a cool-season or warm-season lawn? Look for something that tolerates high traffic (might say recommended for sports fields or something) and salt tolerant (which tends to hold up better to pee). If you want to get fancy, look up what has performed well in NTEP evaluations near you: https://www.ntep.org/
Ive been eying this:

HCFord1

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Watered my yard like 6 inches worth today.
I keep thinking to myself "i should probably finally turn the sprinklers on this year" and then i look at the forecast and see that it's supposed to rain 3 out of the next 5 days. I don't think I've ever made it to June without turning on the sprinklers before.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I keep thinking to myself "i should probably finally turn the sprinklers on this year" and then i look at the forecast and see that it's supposed to rain 3 out of the next 5 days. I don't think I've ever made it to June without turning on the sprinklers before.
Just got our water bill the other day. Cheapest one I think I've ever seen since being married. Wild

Toe

Wide Receiver
Ive been eying this:

Probably a solid choice, assuming you live in an area where it's cool enough for perennial ryegrass. You might consider blending in some Kentucky bluegrass, as it spreads to fill in any bare patches, unlike ryegrass or fescue.

Edit: this blend is 50/50 KBG and perennial ryegrass, and they say it's a good blend for high-traffic areas:

Frogsker30

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Probably a solid choice, assuming you live in an area where it's cool enough for perennial ryegrass. You might consider blending in some Kentucky bluegrass, as it spreads to fill in any bare patches, unlike ryegrass or fescue.

Edit: this blend is 50/50 KBG and perennial ryegrass, and they say it's a good blend for high-traffic areas:

Fwiw I’m in Omaha

Toe

Wide Receiver
If anybody needs tools, Target's got a Fiskars loppers + hedge shears + pruner set on sale for $25. I paid that price a couple months ago for a Fiskars set from Costco that didn't include the shears, and the loppers and pruner in this set is nicer than the Costco set.

Toe

Wide Receiver
There do make a couple kinds of grass seeds that are glyphosate-resistant, so that you can use glyphosate as a weed killer for the lawn...

Boondock_St_Sker

That Dude
Elite Member
If you see a mushroom growing in your yard, it means that you've got a mushroom growing in your yard.
another question...I have an alley behind my property that I believe belongs to the city of Swimtown...There are weeds GALORE back there. I've tried Roundup and other things but nothing kills that shit...any suggestions?

vailhusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
another question...I have an alley behind my property that I believe belongs to the city of Swimtown...There are weeds GALORE back there. I've tried Roundup and other things but nothing kills that shit...any suggestions?
If you don't want to use the fire, I would go to the local farm store and see what they have for ground clear or vegetation control. We used to have some stuff that would nuke everything and then we would cover it with our grass clippings to keep them from coming back.

flame thrower kill it with fire GIF

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds