Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

What to look for/preparing for your dog’s death (2 Viewers)

DrumMonkeyRobot

Cornerback
Elite Member
A gaping void is the beast way to describe the feeling. They take up so much space in our lives.

I know it feels impossible, but over time you’ll notice all those things you listed less and less. Eventually, you’ll realize it’s been a full week since you last thought about him. And that will make you sad too. But then, over time, you’ll stop thinking about him all the time, and on the rare occasions he does come across your mind, it will only be happiness that you feel. All the hurt will be gone. You’ll get there. It just takes time.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
A gaping void is the beast way to describe the feeling. They take up so much space in our lives.

I know it feels impossible, but over time you’ll notice all those things you listed less and less. Eventually, you’ll realize it’s been a full week since you last thought about him. And that will make you sad too. But then, over time, you’ll stop thinking about him all the time, and on the rare occasions he does come across your mind, it will only be happiness that you feel. All the hurt will be gone. You’ll get there. It just takes time.
That’s what my wife said last night. You just go have to get through it. You’ll get there. It’ll hit at different times, but some day it’ll be okay because he’s okay now.

dom91932

Cornerback
Elite Member
He’s going to be cremated, and I’ll pick that up in two weeks. They’re doing a paw print thing for him too. My wife ordered a few things as well for memorial.

I’m finding that my immediate reaction to cope is to jump back into daily routine. What I’m also realizing is that there’s a shit load of things I do daily that I never realized how much I appreciated until right now. His bowl is full of water. His food container is empty. His harness and leash are back on the hook. I didn’t have to wipe off his paws when our other dog came in from our back earlier. I don’t hear his foot steps. I don’t hear his heavy breathing. I opened the fridge and he wasn’t head first trying to see what was in there. I just walked our other dog and only had to deal with one leash. We took a towel and rubbed it all over him for our other dog and I put it on the bed next to the window. I only saw his face in my head when we pulled back in from running a quick errand after the vet. His giant kennel in the basement that’ll never have him in it again. Our other dog is laying at my feet now instead of him as I type this.

I just feel him everywhere still but I don’t hear or see anything and I’m just completely numb and in shock. High school was the last time this was reality. And high school was a long time ago.

there’s just a giant void that I just don’t 100% know how to handle or deal with yet. I simply froze for a few minutes after he was gone, at the vet, cause I couldn’t stand the thought of never seeing and putting my hand on his physical body again.
So sorry brother. Hang in there as best you can. As @DrumMonkeyRobot said, it will eventually get better and the feelings of loss will be replaced by all of the happiness you shared.

RedSavage

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Well this threads depressing. My first dog just turned 12. He’s wearing diapers and struggling to shit on the regular. Vet says there’s a blockage and at this point can’t really be removed. Plus his back legs are giving out as well. I know the day is coming sooner than I care for it to.
Well..he decided today was the day. It fucking sucks.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
My dog's ashes are back, picking them up here shortly. Very excited. The house has felt so empty, just without his presence there, even with a second dog. In a weird way, it just feels like closure finally and I'm just so excited to hold that box and to just feel like I'm holding his face in my hands again. Just want him home so bad. Can't take my eyes off the clock.

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
My dog's ashes are back, picking them up here shortly. Very excited. The house has felt so empty, just without his presence there, even with a second dog. In a weird way, it just feels like closure finally and I'm just so excited to hold that box and to just feel like I'm holding his face in my hands again. Just want him home so bad. Can't take my eyes off the clock.
I feel you. I still call my current Golden by my last Golden’s name. Life is cruel because a dog’s love is everlasting.

DrumMonkeyRobot

Cornerback
Elite Member
I talk to my big dog everyday in the sky. I know it sounds crazy but it helps me. Just getting through each day. He’s home now and I feel better about it
According to some native traditions, talking to the dead helps them cross to the other side. So no, it isn’t crazy. People have been doing it for thousands of years.

It’s been 10 years since I lost my dad and I still talk to him sometimes.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Just felt the need to put this "down on paper", my wife and I have "lightly" discussed the idea of another dog. If I'm being honest, I'd be okay with it to an extent. I, however, am pushing back because I would feel extremely guilty about it. I understand it's not "replacing your dog" but that's how it seems and feels to me. In my mind, there will never be another "my dog" than what I had. I know how that sounds, but that's how my brain works. I don't know, I'm open to it, kind of.

My wife's dog has been surprisingly fantastic since my dog passed. Some of it is probably sensing my sadness and trying to help me, but it's also been obvious that she's been sad as well. No doubt se enjoys the new attention. For the last few months of my dog's life, if she didn't get enough attention or exercise during the day, very high likelihood she was going to cause some sort of trouble. Zero issue over the last month. Wild, IMO. She's even done some things the last couple weeks that my dog used to do, and it's interesting to me. Almost like she learned over the years and is trying to carry on the things he did, because she's able to now. It's almost like we're both helping each other to get through this time.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
This article is a good read for those in this thread

Fuck man the back legs failing got me. I was alright until then. My guy sat in his shit twice before I finally accepted it was okay. Damn

DrumMonkeyRobot

Cornerback
Elite Member
Just felt the need to put this "down on paper", my wife and I have "lightly" discussed the idea of another dog. If I'm being honest, I'd be okay with it to an extent. I, however, am pushing back because I would feel extremely guilty about it. I understand it's not "replacing your dog" but that's how it seems and feels to me. In my mind, there will never be another "my dog" than what I had. I know how that sounds, but that's how my brain works. I don't know, I'm open to it, kind of.

My wife's dog has been surprisingly fantastic since my dog passed. Some of it is probably sensing my sadness and trying to help me, but it's also been obvious that she's been sad as well. No doubt se enjoys the new attention. For the last few months of my dog's life, if she didn't get enough attention or exercise during the day, very high likelihood she was going to cause some sort of trouble. Zero issue over the last month. Wild, IMO. She's even done some things the last couple weeks that my dog used to do, and it's interesting to me. Almost like she learned over the years and is trying to carry on the things he did, because she's able to now. It's almost like we're both helping each other to get through this time.
Our dog, Auggie, had his big brother, Sully, with him since he was 6 months old. They were best buddies and loved the ever living shit out of one another. When we had to put Sully down a couple of months ago, Auggie didn't leave Sully's bed, except to eat and do his business, for 3 days. Your wife's dog definitely misses your dog.

Sully was always the family guardian. He barked when people were at the door, which Auggie never did. Now that Sully isn't around, Auggie has started to take over those duties.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Our dog, Auggie, had his big brother, Sully, with him since he was 6 months old. They were best buddies and loved the ever living shit out of one another. When we had to put Sully down a couple of months ago, Auggie didn't leave Sully's bed, except to eat and do his business, for 3 days. Your wife's dog definitely misses your dog.

Sully was always the family guardian. He barked when people were at the door, which Auggie never did. Now that Sully isn't around, Auggie has started to take over those duties.
God damn, someone's cutting onions here at work. I appreciate your words.

SlumpBuster

Cornerback
Elite Member
Always tough. We had to put down our lab a couple years ago. He was getting so wobbly and blind he was going to really hurt himself. We have a retaining wall in our backyard he almost fell off of and that would have broken a lot of bones. He couldn't control his bladder at all and we think he had kidney failure so we had to put giant diapers on him in the house.

He was just such a dang good dog. Followed you everywhere, never wanted anything more than to just be with his people.

RIP to your companion Pipe. Sorry you had to go say goodbye.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Always tough. We had to put down our lab a couple years ago. He was getting so wobbly and blind he was going to really hurt himself. We have a retaining wall in our backyard he almost fell off of and that would have broken a lot of bones. He couldn't control his bladder at all and we think he had kidney failure so we had to put giant diapers on him in the house.

He was just such a dang good dog. Followed you everywhere, never wanted anything more than to just be with his people.

RIP to your companion Pipe. Sorry you had to go say goodbye.
Labs are simply the best. Doing absolutely everything I can to honor and remember him as each day passes.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds