Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

What to look for/preparing for your dog’s death

I’m not totally sure how to ask the question, but I guess I’m just looking for opinions/experiences from others.

My lab turns 12 in 2 weeks. He’s getting old and certainly showing the signs. At his physical a month ago, they recommended a steroid and to basically enjoy the summer as later this year things could get difficult. He does have arthritis in the hind legs. He’s has some other minor issues that are age related.

A little while ago on our walk, granted it is warm out today, he pooped but struggled to squat down and ended up essentially sitting in his own shit in the splits position. His back legs have been showing signs of being wobbly quite a bit the last few weeks, but that was the first big red flag, that I’ve really noticed. His steps never really got any better and when we got home, he had quite a bit of trouble walking up the stairs to get water.

We’ve been home for a while now, and his steps are still everywhere and it’s just very obvious them legs aren’t solid anymore. He does have arthritis in his back legs.

What kind of experiences have others had in these situations and in what ways did your dog let you know it was time. My vet said that labs just basically go until they can’t anymore. Which begs the question, to me atleast, will my lab really let me know? Or will he just be done all of a sudden?
The worst - my sheltie/aussie mix is 14 this summer and every visit we need to make to the vet is worrisome. It's a sad thing. Sorry to hear that the good boy isn't doing so well.

The worst - my sheltie/aussie mix is 14 this summer and every visit we need to make to the vet is worrisome. It's a sad thing. Sorry to hear that the good boy isn't doing so well.
I appreciate that

"He has more bad moments than he has good moments."

This is what it comes down to. Think of how you want the end of your life to be. I think most of us would say, "I hope I go before the bad starts to outweigh the good." You have the opportunity, and I would argue the responsibility, to provide that for your dog.
Discover No Way GIF by ADWEEK

"He has more bad moments than he has good moments."

This is what it comes down to. Think of how you want the end of your life to be. I think most of us would say, "I hope I go before the bad starts to outweigh the good." You have the opportunity, and I would argue the responsibility, to provide that for your dog.
And there are a ton of in between moments, that I would not consider to be good, just more like eh, I respect the effort for getting through it, which is no situation for your best friend to have to deal with.

And there are a ton of in between moments, that I would not consider to be good, just more like eh, I respect the effort for getting through it, which is no situation for your best friend to have to deal with.
It sucks for both of you to have to deal with it. The silver lining is that it teaches us empathy, and we grow from having to do what's hard on us for the benefit of another. It's a hard way to learn a lesson, but it's a good lesson.

Update. Sorry to continue to blow this thread up. Somewhat therapeutic at this point.

I talked to our head vet on the drive home for lunch. She supports Friday’s decision based on his current daily status and his file. What I didn’t know was that his throat issue is an actual degenerative nerve issue, which is connected to his hips, that they obviously can’t cure. Basically he’s breathing through a drinking straw at all times. I simply thought it was a better situation than that. They can make his hips more manageable, but can’t do anything to his throat without surgery, which wasn’t recommended in April, due to him being old and the anesthesia required. She made it sound like the alternative hip meds would essentially be hospice as he turns into a vegetable this winter. I don’t want that for him.

Long story short, it’s been an incredible 12 years with him, and it’s his time. I’m at peace knowing the vet agrees. I’m going to miss him probably much more than I can even comprehend right now.

Thank you guys again

Update. Sorry to continue to blow this thread up. Somewhat therapeutic at this point.

I talked to our head vet on the drive home for lunch. She supports Friday’s decision based on his current daily status and his file. What I didn’t know was that his throat issue is an actual degenerative nerve issue, which is connected to his hips, that they obviously can’t cure. Basically he’s breathing through a drinking straw at all times. I simply thought it was a better situation than that. They can make his hips more manageable, but can’t do anything to his throat without surgery, which wasn’t recommended in April, due to him being old and the anesthesia required. She made it sound like the alternative hip meds would essentially be hospice as he turns into a vegetable this winter. I don’t want that for him.

Long story short, it’s been an incredible 12 years with him, and it’s his time. I’m at peace knowing the vet agrees. I’m going to miss him probably much more than I can even comprehend right now.

Thank you guys again
It really is devastating during these times. Thoughts and prayers for you and everyone that was impacted by your dog's presence.

We only had our Golden Retriever for a few years. We rescued her through the Golden Retriever Rescue in Nebraska (GRRIN) in 2020. She was 8 when we got her and she was a previous breeding dog that had no social skills. She really never got close to us other than being her head scratcher and treat giver. But we loved her and felt that she loved us. A few months ago when we learned of the tumor, we knew it was her time and felt like we gave her the best home in the last few years.

Because I volunteer with GRRIN, I knew of the timelines usually for getting a new dog (up to six months sometimes) and felt that I just wanted to go through the approval process again and wait. Well, GRRIN adoption counselors hit us up recently and found us a good match for what we were looking for. Today, we're picking up a 2 year old Golden Retriever and excited for her to join our family. I miss Maizy, our last Golden, so much. But we're excited to provide another loving home for a new dog looking for one.

In short, dogs provide us so much happiness in our every day lives', but the joy we provide them, is their whole life.

It really is devastating during these times. Thoughts and prayers for you and everyone that was impacted by your dog's presence.

We only had our Golden Retriever for a few years. We rescued her through the Golden Retriever Rescue in Nebraska (GRRIN) in 2020. She was 8 when we got her and she was a previous breeding dog that had no social skills. She really never got close to us other than being her head scratcher and treat giver. But we loved her and felt that she loved us. A few months ago when we learned of the tumor, we knew it was her time and felt like we gave her the best home in the last few years.

Because I volunteer with GRRIN, I knew of the timelines usually for getting a new dog (up to six months sometimes) and felt that I just wanted to go through the approval process again and wait. Well, GRRIN adoption counselors hit us up recently and found us a good match for what we were looking for. Today, we're picking up a 2 year old Golden Retriever and excited for her to join our family. I miss Maizy, our last Golden, so much. But we're excited to provide another loving home for a new dog looking for one.

In short, dogs provide us so much happiness in our every day lives', but the joy we provide them, is their whole life.
I appreciate the words. I’m going to give him absolute everything I can for the next 6 days. I’m at peace with the decision.

I was already looking at the humane society’s website yesterday lol I think my emotion and opinion will obviously change quite a bit a week from now, but I just feel like at some point we’re gonna have to get a friend for our doodle. Regardless on how I feel about it, it’ll be for her and not really for me and my wife. Let them live out their days together. I just have so many curiosities with what will happen to me at about lunch time on Friday once all is said and done.

Well this threads depressing. My first dog just turned 12. He’s wearing diapers and struggling to shit on the regular. Vet says there’s a blockage and at this point can’t really be removed. Plus his back legs are giving out as well. I know the day is coming sooner than I care for it to.

I am just in utter and complete shock and am numb. My house is eerily quiet. I’m just waiting to hear his foot steps and heavy breathing. I thought of all the little things on the way home that I want back. Wow, this doesn’t feel real.

I am just in utter and complete shock and am numb. My house is eerily quiet. I’m just waiting to hear his foot steps and heavy breathing. I thought of all the little things on the way home that I want back. Wow, this doesn’t feel real.
Sorry man. There’s probably nothing any of us can say to make you feel better but just know we’re here for ya

Sorry, brother. My heart goes out to you and your family. The only advice I can give is let it all out. Grief is a form of love and a way to praise your best friend in his absence. Feel it fully and don’t hold back. It’s truly a way to honor him.

I just appreciate a place to write my thoughts down. I’m not very good at expressing more negative emotions so I’m better at writing shit
Depending on the vet, they'll send you some memorial stuff. But what I found is that if I wanted to create a little memory item, I used this:
Etsy Wood Photo Block

With that said, it's going to be a rough few days. Sorry for your loss.

Depending on the vet, they'll send you some memorial stuff. But what I found is that if I wanted to create a little memory item, I used this:
Etsy Wood Photo Block

With that said, it's going to be a rough few days. Sorry for your loss.
He’s going to be cremated, and I’ll pick that up in two weeks. They’re doing a paw print thing for him too. My wife ordered a few things as well for memorial.

I’m finding that my immediate reaction to cope is to jump back into daily routine. What I’m also realizing is that there’s a shit load of things I do daily that I never realized how much I appreciated until right now. His bowl is full of water. His food container is empty. His harness and leash are back on the hook. I didn’t have to wipe off his paws when our other dog came in from our back earlier. I don’t hear his foot steps. I don’t hear his heavy breathing. I opened the fridge and he wasn’t head first trying to see what was in there. I just walked our other dog and only had to deal with one leash. We took a towel and rubbed it all over him for our other dog and I put it on the bed next to the window. I only saw his face in my head when we pulled back in from running a quick errand after the vet. His giant kennel in the basement that’ll never have him in it again. Our other dog is laying at my feet now instead of him as I type this.

I just feel him everywhere still but I don’t hear or see anything and I’m just completely numb and in shock. High school was the last time this was reality. And high school was a long time ago.

there’s just a giant void that I just don’t 100% know how to handle or deal with yet. I simply froze for a few minutes after he was gone, at the vet, cause I couldn’t stand the thought of never seeing and putting my hand on his physical body again.

Sorry, brother. My heart goes out to you and your family. The only advice I can give is let it all out. Grief is a form of love and a way to praise your best friend in his absence. Feel it fully and don’t hold back. It’s truly a way to honor him.
It’s hit me in multiple waves while at the vet and after the vet. Not to get too personal but his breathing issues made it a really quick process from shot 1 to shot 2 because he was basically hyperventilating. It was reassuring to me that it was the right decision. It hit me really hard before we left because my 3 year old wanted to come, then his body giving out after the first shot it hit again, then reality hitting me square in the face on the way home it hit again.

Idk, I’m just blabbering at this point. I know there’s more emotion to come. You could say I’m just still denial and shock. 12 years and it’s just over.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back