Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Things that make me rage - Shitty OL Play (2 Viewers)

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Power based offense to you and what a power based offense to Frost is probably a much different idea. I think what Frost initially meant was blending the two schools of thought of Oregon offense with old school Husker training.
So no full back and wham blocks????

sad george michael bluth GIF

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Well I think you look at 2018 when they had a healthy Oz and Washington they were second in RB run carries in the B1G. I think you look at last year and how we were second in the B1G in rushing.

I think he has always wanted to be dominant on the ground. I just think he is finally getting the OL he needs to do it. This should be one of the biggest OL in the B1G this year.

The whole idea behind his vision was mix spread concepts with husker power. Well what do you do when you have us in 11 personnel with Betts, Toure, Manning out wide, Allen or Vokolek at TE, Stepp and Martinez in the backfield? Do you go two high and try to take away the WRs? Well now you have a light box going against a big OL and a running QB. Do you go cover 3 or cover 1 and +1 in the box? Well now you are 1-1 on the outside.

Now of course for this vision to be realized you need 3 RBs to emerge as reliable. You need to have a lot of positive assumptions at WRs. You need to have snaps be right 100%. You need to have an OL that has potentially 19 years of combined eligibility left to be good.

I think they have the pieces to be really good on offense, but they need a lot to go right.
I personally like 11 personnel and the advantages and conflicts it provides. Adding a TE is a must IMO vs odd front teams.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
I personally like 11 personnel and the advantages and conflicts it provides. Adding a TE is a must IMO vs odd front teams.
I think 11 is my favorite base personnel. Now I keep going back and forth on which I like better between 20 or 12. I think it really comes back to what you have as far as players, but all things equal I don't know which route I would rather go.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
I think 11 is my favorite base personnel. Now I keep going back and forth on which I like better between 20 or 12. I think it really comes back to what you have as far as players, but all things equal I don't know which route I would rather go.
I like 12 better than 20. For me, again it was back to some sets that I think are more difficult to align than prepping for another insert player/gap or for that matter. TEs are your friend, especially vs Odd fronts in my experience.

My favorites are these - 11 Personnel

---Y-T-G-C-G-T--------------------------------X-----
---------------------------H----------Z---------------
----------Q----T---------------------------------------

12 Personnel

---U-T-G-C-G-T-Y------------------------------------
------------------------------H-----------Z-----------
-----------Q------T-----------------------------------

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
I like 12 better than 20. For me, again it was back to some sets that I think are more difficult to align than prepping for another insert player/gap or for that matter. TEs are your friend, especially vs Odd fronts in my experience.

My favorites are these - 11 Personnel

---Y-T-G-C-G-T--------------------------------X-----
---------------------------H----------Z---------------
----------Q----T---------------------------------------

12 Personnel

---U-T-G-C-G-T-Y------------------------------------
------------------------------H-----------Z-----------
-----------Q------T-----------------------------------
I tend to agree with you. Especially when you have TEs who are athletic.

I do think Nebraska could have done more 20 with Mills as he was a very good lead blocker. I think that IZ with the swing pass out of a split gun look is something they could have built off of better.

I don't know if I like 10 personnel at all unless I just have some dudes at WR and don't care about running the ball.

Is the reason you like TEs vs an odd front because you add more gaps for the defense to defend?

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Fucking wham blocks....Wham blocks and what role the puller is doing on Power pretty much gave it away SamIam didn't know a fucking thing about football.
We ran a weird version of power when I played.

PS OG pulled, kick out last man on the LOS and ISO the OLB.

Why we pulled PS vs BS? I don't know. We had athletic ass OL. One of our OG was a brick shit house who was the start man on our school record 4x1.

Why we had the OG kick out the end vs wrap up? I don't know.

Basically the only thing that was true "power" about it was a puller, a lead blocker and the name.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Is the reason you like TEs vs an odd front because you add more gaps for the defense to defend?
Yes, add gaps, plus the ability to take a TE and T and knock the stuffing out of some DE. Plus we play an odd front, and facing a good TE adds a bunch of issues. I love seeing some 10 personnel, 2x2/3x1 spread team.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
We ran a weird version of power when I played.

PS OG pulled, kick out last man on the LOS and ISO the OLB.

Why we pulled PS vs BS? I don't know. We had athletic ass OL. One of our OG was a brick shit house who was the start man on our school record 4x1.
So basically belly G.

Power to me = BS wrapper
Belly G - FS G kicker
Buck - Both

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
So basically belly G.

Power to me = BS wrapper
Belly G - FS G kicker
Buck - Both
Yup, why we called it power? I don't know.

I do love traditional power, but I do like any play that gets a point of attack combo. Power just adds some really good angles to create holes.

Johannes de Silentio

Safety
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Figured this would be a good thread for me to ask a question I've always wondered about:

What is going through a guy like Frost's mind when he gets asked anything even remotely technical by a layman journalist, fan, administrator, etc.? I imagine if the stuff being posted about on here is like Greek to many of us, the level at which a dude like Frost understands the game is basically incomprehensible. I have to imagine there are a lot of frustrating moments where people assume they know more than they do and then a need to find ways to translate all this stuff into either cliches or something meaningful but understandable. Must be weird.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Figured this would be a good thread for me to ask a question I've always wondered about:

What is going through a guy like Frost's mind when he gets asked anything even remotely technical by a layman journalist, fan, administrator, etc.? I imagine if the stuff being posted about on here is like Greek to many of us, the level at which a dude like Frost understands the game is basically incomprehensible. I have to imagine there are a lot of frustrating moments where people assume they know more than they do and then a need to find ways to translate all this stuff into either cliches or something meaningful but understandable. Must be weird.
I'm sure we all get this from time to time in our lives but not in front of a camera.

cwessel76

Run The Damn Ball
Elite Member
tPB OG

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG

In his mind, he's thinking..."why the fuck do I have to answer these questions. C'mon Moos, you need to kick some of these mashed potatoes out, they ask questions like they think they know anything about football and they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground and look like a bunch of boobs. Stick to fluff pieces fellas. Okay, last question...Ah, ole king of the fluffy questions, fluffy dean. Thanks for the softball buddy. I won't kick your plump ass out of practice now."

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds