Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Things that make me rage - Shitty OL Play

So they have a version now where it's only our offense in that game, about 9 minutes long. I don't want to overhype the man at all, but he repeatedly blew up their nose tackle and constantly drove guys back 3-5 yards past the LOS. I don't know where his potential lies but obviously Ohio State is pretty good competition, and he looked like on of the better lineman on the field when healthy. I'll look through some more video of him from later in the season to see how much that toe affected him.
I was very encouraged after the OSU game with the OL. I thought they had improved a lot in the S&C department as they just weren't bitched as they had been in previous years vs good competition. I thought the offense was set to start ramming some fucks up the shoot and that never materialized...I think mostly due to do the sub-par skill player recruitment & development.

I was very encouraged after the OSU game with the OL. I thought they had improved a lot in the S&C department as they just weren't bitched as they had been in previous years vs good competition. I thought the offense was set to start ramming some fucks up the shoot and that never materialized...I think mostly due to do the sub-par skill player recruitment & development.
I think the thing that I've noticed, and where the light bulb is clicking for me, is that we haven't had that consistent RB since Ozigbo graduated. I know it was supposed to be Dedrick but it just never really materialized. I don't know if there's that big of a difference between Power 5 and Group of 5 as far as that prized RB cow goes but there seems to be. It seems at the Group of 5 level, you can do that rotating RB weapon thing and be successful, but it seems at this level you need that one guy you can always count on. Don't think that really clicked until just now. I hope Stepp can be that guy in 2021. A little versatility is good, sure, to keep a defense honest, but man you need that guaranteed yardage guy I think in Power 5 football.

Yaaa I was like "holy shit" after watching our line play at a very high level vs Ohio State. Both offensive and defensive.

I think the thing that I've noticed, and where the light bulb is clicking for me, is that we haven't had that consistent RB since Ozigbo graduated. I know it was supposed to be Dedrick but it just never really materialized. I don't know if there's that big of a difference between Power 5 and Group of 5 as far as that prized RB cow goes but there seems to be. It seems at the Group of 5 level, you can do that rotating RB weapon thing and be successful, but it seems at this level you need that one guy you can always count on. Don't think that really clicked until just now. I hope Stepp can be that guy in 2021. A little versatility is good, sure, to keep a defense honest, but man you need that guaranteed yardage guy I think in Power 5 football.
Mo Washington really fucked up.

Yeah he did. I never saw him as that bell cow RB, that guy that you put in there when you needed the home run at any time to change a game. And he did that
Ya, he was a max 15 carry a game guy, but you pair him with a Mills or Stepp and now you are cooking with peanut oil. We really haven't had a playmaker like him since he left.

The far majority of Frost's best offensive games here had him as a core piece of them. Despite the limited number of games he was in.

Ya, he was a max 15 carry a game guy, but you pair him with a Mills or Stepp and now you are cooking with peanut oil. We really haven't had a playmaker like him since he left.

The far majority of Frost's best offensive games here had him as a core piece of them. Despite the limited number of games he was in.
The lack of dudes who can house it any time they touch the ball is problematic

Fuck Wandale looked like he would blow his load on the first 20 yards of a play and couldn't house it.

Betts and Toure are guys I am very hopeful for. I also think Thompkins and Sevy can be those guys who can house it.
If they can find 3-4 guys on offense who can be legit home run threats it'll take all kinds of pressure off.

Fuck Wandale looked like he would blow his load on the first 20 yards of a play and couldn't house it.

Betts and Toure are guys I am very hopeful for. I also think Thompkins and Sevy can be those guys who can house it.

yeah, I’m going to be interested to see how Wan’dale does at UK. The haven’t seen a comprehensive WR ranking yet, but in 2019 Wan’dale was in the bottom 100 among WRs with 30+ receptions in terms of yards per catch. In 2020, he had 11 more receptions and 8 more targets, but only 8 more yards. So dude isn’t getting better in that category.

Just for comparison, J.D. had 818 yards on 66 receptions in 2018 and 898 on 49 in 2019. Wan’dale 2020 was 461 on 51.

I believe it was noted when Frost first got here that in order to make his offense as crazy as he wanted it, he needed like 5 Mo Washingtons on the field at once, and like 3 deep of him at each position.

I believe it was noted when Frost first got here that in order to make his offense as crazy as he wanted it, he needed like 5 Mo Washingtons on the field at once, and like 3 deep of him at each position.
I mean at a minimum you need to have a stud slot (or somebody to work the middle), x wr, RB, QB who can make all the throws and an OL that is top half in the B1G.

Closest we were to this was second half of 2018. Oz was running 6+ a carry. You had JD and Stanley on pace for 1k receiving. You had an OL that was better than we gave credit to once they moved Farmer to center.

You need to be able to stretch the field horizontally and vertically then have a good run game. Make the defense take away something then kill them in what they make vulnerable.

This offense when it has its pieces is really only stopped if a defense has the ability to play with a light box and slow the run.

I mean at a minimum you need to have a stud slot (or somebody to work the middle), x wr, RB, QB who can make all the throws and an OL that is top half in the B1G.

Closest we were to this was second half of 2018. Oz was running 6+ a carry. You had JD and Stanley on pace for 1k receiving. You had an OL that was better than we gave credit to once they moved Farmer to center.

You need to be able to stretch the field horizontally and vertically then have a good run game. Make the defense take away something then kill them in what they make vulnerable.

This offense when it has its pieces is really only stopped if a defense has the ability to play with a light box and slow the run.
Do you forsee us getting those pieces given these circumstances....

1. Our record
2. Being Year 4 and showing really not much offensively to be able to sell to high level recruits
3. The way Frost wants to run the program when it comes to development in general....having Freshman sit for a year or 2, redshirt, learn everything, and then slowly see more and more playing time once they've gained trust.

Assuming that Manning sticks around and lives up to his potential, what does our depth chart at WR look like in 2021? Who plays what position and why? Who replaces Wandale?

Do you forsee us getting those pieces given these circumstances....

1. Our record
2. Being Year 4 and showing really not much offensively to be able to sell to high level recruits
3. The way Frost wants to run the program when it comes to development in general....having Freshman sit for a year or 2, redshirt, learn everything, and then slowly see more and more playing time once they've gained trust.
I mean I look at it as that offense during that time has had how many nfl draft picks? 1 in Jaimes? It isn't like they were loaded with talent.

If Cam(unless injury holds him back), Benhart and Turner aren't day 2 or better draft picks I'll be disappointed in Austin. Toure is projected as day 2/3 WRs right now. Somebody has to emerge at the RB spot right? Especially since Brown is now the "analyst." TE is a strength and Lubick loves using them.

Martinez is who he is. Which I think a good chunk of the negative is surrounding talent being dog shit bad.

I'm concerned about the OL if Cam gets injured. If healthy I really like the group.

I think they have the pieces it is on the 5.5 million dollar man to put it together.

Agreed. He was pretty dang good as a frosh with some good skill players
Ya I will be curious what they look like this year.

I keep thinking very highly of the offense, but know they still have to put together a few new pieces.

First time since Stanley left I felt we actually have options outside the hashes.

What do you see as concerns that will hold them back?

I mean I look at it as that offense during that time has had how many nfl draft picks? 1 in Jaimes? It isn't like they were loaded with talent.

If Cam(unless injury holds him back), Benhart and Turner aren't day 2 or better draft picks I'll be disappointed in Austin. Toure is projected as day 2/3 WRs right now. Somebody has to emerge at the RB spot right? Especially since Brown is now the "analyst." TE is a strength and Lubick loves using them.

Martinez is who he is. Which I think a good chunk of the negative is surrounding talent being dog shit bad.

I'm concerned about the OL if Cam gets injured. If healthy I really like the group.

I think they have the pieces it is on the 5.5 million dollar man to put it together.
Most/all pieces gel by the end of non-conference, where do you see this team in 2021?

Agree for the most part - I just don’t get the praise (and it’s not just you) for Cam. Nothing about him stands out for me other than the occasional bad snap. He still gets pushed around at times too.

Agree for the most part - I just don’t get the praise (and it’s not just you) for Cam. Nothing about him stands out for me other than the occasional bad snap. He still gets pushed around at times too.
In all fairness, both Jaimes and Farniok received much praise from people over the last few years and they get pushed around too. It's all relative. Go back and re-watch the offense during the Ohio State game this last year. It's good shit from him against high level competition.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back