Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

The Michigan spy (2 Viewers)

dom91932

Cornerback
Elite Member
https://www.Tater Island.com/teams/...message-to-big-ten-commissioner-tony-petitti/

EXCLUSIVE: Michigan President Santa Ono's strong, written message to Big Ten Commissioner Tony Petitti​

by:Chris Balas•about 6 hours•Balas_Wolverine

Michigan met with the Big Ten Friday to discuss a potential response to the conference’s threat of action against the U-M football team and head coach Jim Harbaugh. U-M is in the middle of an NCAA investigation involving alleged, illegal on-site scouting, but Ono made it clear in an e-mail to Petitti the day before the meeting where he stood.

RELATED: INSIDE THE FORT: Michigan vs. Big Ten, NCAA – what’s next?
RELATED:
Big Ten commissioner Tony Petitti meeting with Michigan administration casts doubt

Ono’s e-mail to Petitti:

Dear Tony,

“I look forward to our meeting and am writing now to share some of my deeply held beliefs, which I hope can inform our conversation and guide what we do next.

“None of us wants to be in this situation. The University of Michigan takes its compliance obligations seriously. We are committed to ethics, integrity, and fair play. It is at our core and always will be. And that is why I am so deeply concerned about the allegations.

“We are fully cooperating with the NCAA in its investigation, as it seeks to separate the facts from irresponsible speculation seen in much of the public and social media discourse.

“It’s precisely at these times — when all key facts are not known but others are all too comfortable offering strongly held opinion — that it is essential for everyone to ensure that investigations are conducted fairly and that conclusions are based on what actually happened. The reputation and livelihoods of coaches, students, and programs cannot be sacrificed in a rush to judgment, no matter how many and how loudly people protest otherwise. Due process matters.

“We, as would any other member of the Big 10, deserve nothing less. Our students, our coaches, our program—all are entitled to a fair, deliberate, thoughtful process. We are aware that other representatives of the Big10 are demanding that you take action now, before any meaningful investigation and full consideration of all the evidence. That is not something our conference rules permit. And we both know it is not what any other member would want if allegations were raised against their people or programs.

“The Big 10 has not informed us of any investigation of its own, as would be required under conference rules. And, to be clear, oral updates from NCAA enforcement staff do not and cannot constitute evidence, nor do we think the NCAA would ever intend for an oral update to be given that meaning or weight.

“The best course of action, the one far more likely to ascertain the facts, is to await the results of the NCAA investigation. But if you refuse to let the NCAA investigative process play out, the Big 10 may not take any action against the University or its players or coaches without commencing its own investigation and offering us the opportunity to provide our position. That is not just required by our conference rules; it is a matter of basic fairness. “

Sincerely,

Santa J. Ono
President
University of Michigan

Despite some new evidence produced, according to sources, and “strong threats of action” from Petitti and others, the Big Ten left without acting, and Ono insisted again they would not self-impose punishment on Harbaugh. He and his colleagues remain steadfast in their desire to let the investigation play out.

Our sources tell us there was no indication the Big Ten was prepared to accept a 2-game suspension, as some reported (too “light” a punishment), and they at least threatened significant action if Michigan didn’t enforce any. They seemed more interested in a Harbaugh suspension, not anything keeping the team from competing this year.

Some expect the Big Ten to act as soon as Monday on a potential Harbaugh suspension. Harbaugh could fight with an injunction, if necessary, to keep coaching, and some believe that would be the course of action.

nscottie

Running Back
Elite Member

EXCLUSIVE: Michigan President Santa Ono's strong, written message to Big Ten Commissioner Tony Petitti​

Michigan met with the Big Ten Friday to discuss a potential response to the conference’s threat of action against the U-M football team and head coach Jim Harbaugh. U-M is in the middle of an NCAA investigation involving alleged, illegal on-site scouting, but Ono made it clear in an e-mail to Petitti the day before the meeting where he stood.

RELATED:
Big Ten commissioner Tony Petitti meeting with Michigan administration casts doubt

Ono’s e-mail to Petitti:

Dear Tony,

“I look forward to our meeting and am writing now to share some of my deeply held beliefs, which I hope can inform our conversation and guide what we do next.

“None of us wants to be in this situation. The University of Michigan takes its compliance obligations seriously. We are committed to ethics, integrity, and fair play. It is at our core and always will be. And that is why I am so deeply concerned about the allegations.

“We are fully cooperating with the NCAA in its investigation, as it seeks to separate the facts from irresponsible speculation seen in much of the public and social media discourse.

“It’s precisely at these times — when all key facts are not known but others are all too comfortable offering strongly held opinion — that it is essential for everyone to ensure that investigations are conducted fairly and that conclusions are based on what actually happened. The reputation and livelihoods of coaches, students, and programs cannot be sacrificed in a rush to judgment, no matter how many and how loudly people protest otherwise. Due process matters.

“We, as would any other member of the Big 10, deserve nothing less. Our students, our coaches, our program—all are entitled to a fair, deliberate, thoughtful process. We are aware that other representatives of the Big10 are demanding that you take action now, before any meaningful investigation and full consideration of all the evidence. That is not something our conference rules permit. And we both know it is not what any other member would want if allegations were raised against their people or programs.

“The Big 10 has not informed us of any investigation of its own, as would be required under conference rules. And, to be clear, oral updates from NCAA enforcement staff do not and cannot constitute evidence, nor do we think the NCAA would ever intend for an oral update to be given that meaning or weight.

“The best course of action, the one far more likely to ascertain the facts, is to await the results of the NCAA investigation. But if you refuse to let the NCAA investigative process play out, the Big 10 may not take any action against the University or its players or coaches without commencing its own investigation and offering us the opportunity to provide our position. That is not just required by our conference rules; it is a matter of basic fairness. “

Sincerely,

Santa J. Ono
President
University of Michigan

Despite some new evidence produced, according to sources, and “strong threats of action” from Petitti and others, the Big Ten left without acting, and Ono insisted again they would not self-impose punishment on Harbaugh. He and his colleagues remain steadfast in their desire to let the investigation play out.

Our sources tell us there was no indication the Big Ten was prepared to accept a 2-game suspension, as some reported (too “light” a punishment), and they at least threatened significant action if Michigan didn’t enforce any. They seemed more interested in a Harbaugh suspension, not anything keeping the team from competing this year.

Some expect the Big Ten to act as soon as Monday on a potential Harbaugh suspension. Harbaugh could fight with an injunction, if necessary, to keep coaching, and some believe that would be the course of action.
Blow me Ono

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
this isn't new, but I hadn't seen it before and thought it was interesting

https://www.Tater Island.com/teams/...at-kind-of-advantage-does-sign-stealing-give/

“I actually spoke to a Big Ten source, who gave me a quote — if other people are out there sharing anonymous quotes and these ESPN and SI articles, I can too. So, here is what I learned, ‘Every Sunday, coaches and support staff with mutual connections throughout the conference contact each other to trade not just schematic notes, but also to trade signals. Some of the top teams who consistently trade signals and have very accurate information on common opponents are Michigan, Rutgers, Ohio State, Indiana, and Purdue. Other teams who are decent at it and would always look to trade are Illinois, Northwestern, Maryland, Minnesota, and Penn State. Wisconsin was oblivious to it but is likely no longer with the new staff. Michigan State, Cockeye, and Nebraska appear to be oblivious and out of the loop.’

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG

RELATED:

Ono’s e-mail to Petitti:

Dear Tony,

Sincerely,

Santa J. Ono
President
University of Michigan

college gameday sport GIF

dom91932

Cornerback
Elite Member

“I actually spoke to a Big Ten source, who gave me a quote — if other people are out there sharing anonymous quotes and these ESPN and SI articles, I can too. So, here is what I learned, ‘Every Sunday, coaches and support staff with mutual connections throughout the conference contact each other to trade not just schematic notes, but also to trade signals. Some of the top teams who consistently trade signals and have very accurate information on common opponents are Michigan, Rutgers, Ohio State, Indiana, and Purdue. Other teams who are decent at it and would always look to trade are Illinois, Northwestern, Maryland, Minnesota, and Penn State. Wisconsin was oblivious to it but is likely no longer with the new staff. Michigan State, Cockeye, and Nebraska appear to be oblivious and out of the loop.’

herbsinator

Running Back
Elite Member

Hard to get up on Sunday and trade signals when you’re getting blackout drunk and doing coke on Saturday night at Gate 25.

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
The article is written by an “all Michigan” sportswriter probably still looking for his big break.

I don’t know how trustworthy that writer is or his ‘source’.

CornFed Gregger

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Just run the plays in til they allow the headpieces but I bet the dirty cheats will figure out a way to tap into it

herbsinator

Running Back
Elite Member
The article is written by an “all Michigan” sportswriter probably still looking for his big break.

I don’t know how trustworthy that writer is or his ‘source’.
All of these articles and leaks by Michigan about how all the other schools have the signs doesn’t actually help them.

1. If it was so easy to get the signs, then why was Michigan going through all this trouble and spending thousands of dollars to travel to these games?

2. Sharing the signs or whatever (assuming they weren’t taping) isn’t illegal. Going to games in person is illegal and they’ve got Michigan dead to rights on that one.

Last edited:

NoHoHank

Bench Warmer
Elite Member
Michigan State, Cockeye, and Nebraska appear to be oblivious and out of the loop.’
No wonder Frost was so paranoid about leaked game plans and a mole on the staff. Unfortunately for him he was an equal opportunity loser and couldn’t beat Cockeye, MSU, or Troy even if they didn’t have the signs

Ripping Lips

And I ain’t talking about fish
Elite Member
All of these articles and leaks by Michigan about how all the other schools have the signs doesn’t actually help them.

1. If it was so easy to get the signs, then why was Michigan going through all this trouble and spending thousands of dollars to travel to these games?

2. Sharing the signs or whatever (assuming they weren’t taping) isn’t illegal. Going to games in person is illegal and they’ve got Michigan dead to rights on that one.
Michigan didn't send anyone on their staff to the games in person, instead, they exploited the loophole and had random people attend the game so they can deny all plausibility. Where they messed up was by using Venmo and having the staffer buy the tickets vice having a random fan by the tickets and just buy the phone footage. I see Harbaugh denying any wrongdoing and that he was unaware what Stallions was doing and say that he thought that he was good at his job and didn't ask any questions about how he was so accurate about the information he was getting. At the end of the day, this is like NASCAR, if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying. For Michigan, they exploited the gray area and got caught. Now, it's up to the BIG and NCAA if they are willing to punish a Blue Blood or let it slide since it will no longer be an issue next season.

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
Michigan didn't send anyone on their staff to the games in person, instead, they exploited the loophole and had random people attend the game so they can deny all plausibility. Where they messed up was by using Venmo and having the staffer buy the tickets vice having a random fan by the tickets and just buy the phone footage. I see Harbaugh denying any wrongdoing and that he was unaware what Stallions was doing and say that he thought that he was good at his job and didn't ask any questions about how he was so accurate about the information he was getting. At the end of the day, this is like NASCAR, if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying. For Michigan, they exploited the gray area and got caught. Now, it's up to the BIG and NCAA if they are willing to punish a Blue Blood or let it slide since it will no longer be an issue next season.
That's the thing though. Harbaugh is in charge of everyone on his staff and whatever they do. Institutional Control is what the NCAA refers to on that one.

I have no doubt the Michigan has a compliance office dedicated to what they do agains the B1G, NCAA, and other laws and see what is right versus what is wrong. Continuously sending and paying for people to go to these games and then dissecting signals to use in your advantage had to be something that a compliance officer or lawyer would have said, 'stop that.'

How Harbaugh didn't know this was going on or anyone on his staff tell him otherwise is bullshit.

I'm sorry, but if you're going to 'grey area' the rules on advance scouting with recordings for so long, you're going to get caught. I think I read Stalions sent 65 people to do these recordings. It was a matter of time for that much.

It's like speeding around town. You can probably get away with going five over every once in awhile, but if you're constantly going five over all the time, then one day, you're going to get that zone and officer that is going to get you pulled over.

Ripping Lips

Elite Member
That's the thing though. Harbaugh is in charge of everyone on his staff and whatever they do. Institutional Control is what the NCAA refers to on that one.

I have no doubt the Michigan has a compliance office dedicated to what they do agains the B1G, NCAA, and other laws and see what is right versus what is wrong. Continuously sending and paying for people to go to these games and then dissecting signals to use in your advantage had to be something that a compliance officer or lawyer would have said, 'stop that.'

How Harbaugh didn't know this was going on or anyone on his staff tell him otherwise is bullshit.

I'm sorry, but if you're going to 'grey area' the rules on advance scouting with recordings for so long, you're going to get caught. I think I read Stalions sent 65 people to do these recordings. It was a matter of time for that much.

It's like speeding around town. You can probably get away with going five over every once in awhile, but if you're constantly going five over all the time, then one day, you're going to get that zone and officer that is going to get you pulled over.
Stallions is a nut job just like that Genetics56 dude is and wouldn't be surprised that he has a Nebraska manifesto like Stallions did for Michigan. I still feel that Stallions will continue to say that he acted alone and will die on his sword just to protect Harbaugh. I hope the NCAA and BIG suspends the whole Michigan coaching staff and give them a few years no show clause. I know they don't want to hurt the student athletes, but it's obvious the athletes knew what was going on as well. I hope they go through and take a deep look into Ohio State as well since they are just as dirty.

Steveweiser316

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Stallions is a nut job just like that Genetics56 dude is and wouldn't be surprised that he has a Nebraska manifesto like Stallions did for Michigan. I still feel that Stallions will continue to say that he acted alone and will die on his sword just to protect Harbaugh. I hope the NCAA and BIG suspends the whole Michigan coaching staff and give them a few years no show clause. I know they don't want to hurt the student athletes, but it's obvious the athletes knew what was going on as well. I hope they go through and take a deep look into Ohio State as well since they are just as dirty.
I doubt they’ll suspend the entire staff but Genetics is who I was thinking of with this entire thing. Stallions is who Genetics wishes he was.

nscottie

Running Back
Elite Member
If Harbaugh never coached another game in college football, I would be fine with that. The guy doesn’t need to cheat and yet he does. Thats what makes him so despicable.

Ripping Lips

Elite Member
If Harbaugh never coached another game in college football, I would be fine with that. The guy doesn’t need to cheat and yet he does. Thats what makes him so despicable.
Harbaugh is such a weird guy ever since he started coaching in the NFL and more so at Michigan. I’d love to see Michigan being mediocre again after all of this.

doublewing

Running Back
Harbaugh is such a weird guy ever since he started coaching in the NFL and more so at Michigan. I’d love to see Michigan being mediocre again after all of this.
They'll definitely take a big step back. It is very rare that you replace a great coach with an equally great one. Harbaugh is like TO, Saban, Meyer, etc in that he's a taskmaster. You lose a detail oriented guy like that and things start to slip. Maybe not unravel to the point of 5-7, but a Solich-ish era where you're good/very good but not great.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds