Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

So um, Bourbon thread? Yeah, Bourbon Thread. (1 Viewer)

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
We need to add a bottle swapping forum or pinned thread on here.
Anybody gotten some good store/barrel picks lately?
The EC and Larceny Private Barrels from my local spot have been solid. Picked up a couple Starlights, 1 is good, the other, pretty meh.. The Maker’s have been hit and miss, but the ones that have hit are incredible. Ben Holladay has yet to make a bad product that I’ve tried, and the store pick was fantastic.
No BT picks in my area anytime recently..
How about all you other alcoholics on the board?

GAHusker

Cornerback
The EC and Larceny Private Barrels from my local spot have been solid. Picked up a couple Starlights, 1 is good, the other, pretty meh.. The Maker’s have been hit and miss, but the ones that have hit are incredible. Ben Holladay has yet to make a bad product that I’ve tried, and the store pick was fantastic.
I found an Eagle Rare about a month ago and bought it merely bc I know it’s hard to find. The best non-allocated I have had recently was either Chattanooga or Thirteenth Colony.

I used to drink a lot of bourbon and whiskey, but now I drink mostly other spirits. The prices of bourbon really seem insane, so I can’t say I miss it too much.

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
I found an Eagle Rare about a month ago and bought it merely bc I know it’s hard to find. The best non-allocated I have had recently was either Chattanooga or Thirteenth Colony.

I used to drink a lot of bourbon and whiskey, but now I drink mostly other spirits. The prices of bourbon really seem insane, so I can’t say I miss it too much.
I agree, they got out of hand for a few years, but they are coming down for sure, and getting closer to normal. Luckily my store sells the allocated stuff at MSRP to loyal customers. Unfortunately I missed out on the Michter’s 10s and a couple other bottles because I only found his spot 2 months ago.
I’ve been searching high and low for a Thirteenth Colony around here because I’ve heard great things.

Ironwardog

Linebacker
Elite Member
My dad found a Templeton Rye Barrel Strength 114 proof that we actually really like. I turned my nose up at it for a few days and he kept bugging me to try it (he left it at my place after Easter). Monday afternoon he finally went and got a couple of glasses and made me try it. He and I usually don’t like the 100+ proof whiskeys because we like them straight OTR and anything over that gets too much burn. This was VERY smooth considering high proof. The other one I found lately that I really like lately is the Bib and Tucker Charred oak (not a barrel pick like you were asking for though).

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
My dad found a Templeton Rye Barrel Strength 114 proof that we actually really like. I turned my nose up at it for a few days and he kept bugging me to try it (he left it at my place after Easter). Monday afternoon he finally went and got a couple of glasses and made me try it. He and I usually don’t like the 100+ proof whiskeys because we like them straight OTR and anything over that gets too much burn. This was VERY smooth considering high proof. The other one I found lately that I really like lately is the Bib and Tucker Charred oak (not a barrel pick like you were asking for though).
Gonna have to try both those. I usually prefer bourbon, but there are some outstanding ryes. Only recently (last 2 years) have I started drinking it all neat. Used to be over ice, but most I actually like better, neat. The higher proof stuff often is more smooth. Jack has actually been coming out with some great stuff the last few years. Never thought I would like anything JD.

Jack Bauer

Defensive Lineman
Elite Member
The other one I found lately that I really like lately is the Bib and Tucker Charred oak (not a barrel pick like you were asking for though).
Good to hear on the Charred Oak. I was going to grab it the last time I was at the store but passed. Will grab it next time.

Ironwardog

Linebacker
Elite Member
Gonna have to try both those. I usually prefer bourbon, but there are some outstanding ryes. Only recently (last 2 years) have I started drinking it all neat. Used to be over ice, but most I actually like better, neat. The higher proof stuff often is more smooth. Jack has actually been coming out with some great stuff the last few years. Never thought I would like anything JD.
Last year for our anniversary my wife ordered the flaviar whiskey advent calendar for me, and mom got one for dad to compare with me. Since then he and I have been trying our drinks neat before we add ice. So we are probably in the middle of that transition to completely neat lol.
Edit: he and I also favor Ryes but there are some really good bourbons we enjoy too. Basil Hayden Dark rye is probably our favorite.

Scott Hall

Defensive Lineman
Elite Member
Anyone had this? Just picked it up. I’ve never seen it before. For a $30 bottle it’s got great reviews.

Bowman-Brothers-Virginia-Straight-Bourbon-Whiskey-Small-Batch-Whiskey-Consensus-768x768.jpg
Bowman bros is Buffalo trace juice that they ship to Virginia and run it through a still in Virginia that does nothing but allow them to put distilled on VA on the label. It’s fantastic

Last edited:

Scott Hall

Defensive Lineman
Elite Member
A good wheater that I’ve found recently, that I believe WBS ( wine beer spirits aka booze r us) has a barrel pick of currently is rebel

Picked up a barrell pick at the location in Fremont 2 weeks ago so I’d assume the WBS’s in Omaha and Lincoln would have them as well

Ben holladay has been putting out some fantastic stuff recently. The Rick house proof and soft red wheat are both fantastic. Lots of barrel picks of the SRW floating around Omaha right now as well.

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
A good wheater that I’ve found recently, that I believe WBS ( wine beer spirits aka booze r us) has a barrel pick of currently is rebel

Picked up a barrell pick at the location in Fremont 2 weeks ago so I’d assume the WBS’s in Omaha and Lincoln would have them as well

Ben holladay has been putting out some fantastic stuff recently. The Rick house proof and soft red wheat are both fantastic. Lots of barrel picks of the SRW floating around Omaha right now as well.
Nice! Yep, I’m gonna visit Ben Holladay soon. They are definitely legit!
Unfortunately I can’t and won’t be getting a John J. Bowman in MO, but definitely want one.
Rebel 10 and Cask Strength are both good pours!

BorWhiskey

Ziggy Stardust
Insider
Elite Member
Nice! Yep, I’m gonna visit Ben Holladay soon. They are definitely legit!
Unfortunately I can’t and won’t be getting a John J. Bowman in MO, but definitely want one.
Rebel 10 and Cask Strength are both good pours!
I wonder if Ben Holladay is the same distillery as the bottle of BJ Holladay I’ve got from 1977. I assumed they were long out of business.

1712150675436.jpeg

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
Anyone ever get lucky and get Buffalo Trace in Swimtown?

Ironwardog

Linebacker
Elite Member
Anyone ever get lucky and get Buffalo Trace in Swimtown?
I was in Lincoln a couple of weeks ago at WBS and they had a shelf of it. You could try the Omaha or fremont locations. I didn’t grab any I went after the bib and Tucker. I also loaded up on Shipwreck rum and I was told that’s enough alcohol for now lol

Scott Hall

Defensive Lineman
Elite Member
I wonder if Ben Holladay is the same distillery as the bottle of BJ Holladay I’ve got from 1977. I assumed they were long out of business.

View attachment 35552
Awesome bottles! From my research, which may not be correct, that was made in KY by stitzel-weller distillery. One of the founders was Julian (pappy) van winkle and they formerly produced van winkle and weller before selling those brands to BT.

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Awesome bottles! From my research, which may not be correct, that was made in KY by stitzel-weller distillery. One of the founders was Julian (pappy) van winkle and they formerly produced van winkle and weller before selling those brands to BT.
Interesting, I found some spots online stating it was also from Weston, MO where the current, updated distillery is.

Snockered69

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
I was in Lincoln a couple of weeks ago at WBS and they had a shelf of it. You could try the Omaha or fremont locations. I didn’t grab any I went after the bib and Tucker. I also loaded up on Shipwreck rum and I was told that’s enough alcohol for now lol
Bib and Tucker is excellent

BorWhiskey

Ziggy Stardust
Insider
Elite Member
It does appear to be. You just letting that sucker collect dust? 😄
I bought those Three back in 2020 from Jack Rose. They were selling off a lot of their collection to continue to pay staff. So, I haven’t had them that long but no they are still uncracked. I spend most of my drinking getting rid of stuff I don’t want on my shelf anymore.

I’ve got a good amount of dustys from the 70s and 80s that are opened and unopened. The one I let people try when they are curious is a 1970 Beam as I was able to grab three. On special occasions I bust out the 1986 W.L. Weller.

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
I bought those Three back in 2020 from Jack Rose. They were selling off a lot of their collection to continue to pay staff. So, I haven’t had them that long but no they are still uncracked. I spend most of my drinking getting rid of stuff I don’t want on my shelf anymore.

I’ve got a good amount of dustys from the 70s and 80s that are opened and unopened. The one I let people try when they are curious is a 1970 Beam as I was able to grab three. On special occasions I bust out the 1986 W.L. Weller.
im horny GIF

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds