Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

OT: True Detective: S4 Night Country (1 Viewer)

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
Last night I didn't like that we are basically re-shooting scenes from season 1.

Season 1: Two police officers, not from that neighborhood, go to talk to someone who might know some details and are able to spark a memory that gets a negative reaction. (Old black lady "You know Carcosa?")

Season 4: Two police officers, not from that neighborhood, go talk to someone who might know some details and are able to spark a memory that gets a negative reaction. (Hostile native American Tsala engineer)

I realize that there isn't anything new under the sun and that old formulas work, but the cliche of two cops who don't get along but have to work together has been done soooooo many times. Then the mirror image scenes makes it seem even more lazy.

I liked the show until last night, but now I'm starting to lose interest.
That is the one aspect that I don't like. The two main leads have little chemistry and they're the same attitude type of character. They should have made Navarro anything else but an attitude filled cop. The actress in her role is not very experienced as far as her IMDB page says and it's showing. You needed an actor/actress that could have played off of Jodie Foster better.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Last night I didn't like that we are basically re-shooting scenes from season 1.

Season 1: Two police officers, not from that neighborhood, go to talk to someone who might know some details and are able to spark a memory that gets a negative reaction. (Old black lady "You know Carcosa?")

Season 4: Two police officers, not from that neighborhood, go talk to someone who might know some details and are able to spark a memory that gets a negative reaction. (Hostile native American Tsala engineer)

I realize that there isn't anything new under the sun and that old formulas work, but the cliche of two cops who don't get along but have to work together has been done soooooo many times. Then the mirror image scenes makes it seem even more lazy.

I liked the show until last night, but now I'm starting to lose interest.
S4 is pretty much a mirror of S1. Supernatural themes, superstitious locals, shady wealthy people/corporate greed. Instead of two male cops that dislike each other it's two women. Instead of female victims they're predominantly men. Both duos seem to have covered up their murder of an abuser. References to Rust's dad, the carcosa spiral symbol. References to supernatural deities or spirits (the yellow king and the awakened woman killing people/Inuit goddess of the underworld).

Speaking of the yellow king/supernatural stuff, I looked into it a bit and found some interesting stuff:

These stories obviously influenced S1. It's interesting what the yellow sign does to people.

"It is said that the symbol can bestow supernatural powers such as mind-control and possession, and is used to get people under the control of the King in Yellow."

"The Yellow Sign in Chambers' work is never described, but those who see it or are shown it are put on the path to self destruction, much in the same way that in "The King in Yellow" people can commit suicide or be driven to despair and suicide simply by reading the book of that name within the stories of the anthology."

"...as with the yellow colour of the original cover of the novel Dracula, it was an oblique reference to the idea of contagion rising to the level of a supernatural force. The Yellow Sign in Chambers' work is never described, but those who see it or are shown it are put on the path to self destruction, much in the same way that in "The King in Yellow" people can commit suicide or be driven to despair and suicide simply by reading the book"

Husker_in_OK

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
That is the one aspect that I don't like. The two main leads have little chemistry and they're the same attitude type of character. They should have made Navarro anything else but an attitude filled cop. The actress in her role is not very experienced as far as her IMDB page says and it's showing. You needed an actor/actress that could have played off of Jodie Foster better.

Agree 100%. And partly what made season 1 so great, is that McConaughey and Harrelson had such great chemistry together ..

Cornicator

Cornerback
Insider
This is still my favorite season since season 1. I'm just waiting for Danvers to start fucking the jr. detective kid.

I hadn’t considered that

The kids dad said, "Maybe I should report you for playing Mrs. Robinson with my kid."

I think its fairly obvious she is going to fuck him.

the graduate GIF

Cornicator

Cornerback
Insider
If all we are talking about is who Jodie Foster does or does not fuck then True Detective has failed at being the haunting crime thriller it's supposed to be.

I think that's fair, but I read a review a few weeks ago written by a critic who had seen the whole season. The review alluded to a sex scene in this show that will shock everyone and will even defy the law of physics.

I'm not sure I want to watch any other female character get supernaturally fucked.

This reviewer also said this season was going to shock everyone.

1. We know the "shape" from season 1 is back.
2. We know Rust Cohle's dad lived and died in and around Ennis.
3. We know Rust Cohle started investigating the Tuttles for years before the Season 1 storyline picked back up in the 2013 timeline.
4. We know Rust Cohle allegedly spent some time back in Alaska, after the Dora Lange murders.
5. We know the Tuttle's own the Mine and are funding the Tsalal Research Station.

I don't understand why all these storylines would be in place if it had NOTHING to do with a season 1 storyline or character connection.

if there is zero connection, then its some really pointless and lazy writing.

wildcat_husker

Cornerback
Elite Member
What did the guy in the hospital say? Something about her mom but couldn't understand it.
What’s our explanation for this? Is it in her head? Similar to her mom and sister seeing things/going crazy? Or is the supernatural stuff a red herring?

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds