Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

OT: Gun Purchase Recs (3 Viewers)

kenyanfeline

Pussy Patrol
Insider
Elite Member
Odd timing that this thread comes up and there’s people asking “why do you need a gun.”

Well today in my life is a prime example.

I have an old barn/hayloft on my acreage and my dogs have been very interested in it for the last week or so. I went out to investigate this afternoon thinking I’d find a family of raccoons or maybe some opossums. I didn’t find any live animals, but what I did find was a good size pile of fresh trash on a makeshift bed constructed from old hay bales, including a half eaten pb&j and 8 empty whiskey shooters. The kicker is that yesterday I noticed my bread was moldy after making a pb&j, and I threw a full sandwich in the trash. Now there’s only half.

So basically I have a homeless guy living in my barn and eating moldy food that I throw in the trash, but I can’t find him.

Needless to say I’m paranoid he’s going to come into my house so I’m sleeping with my Glock in one hand tonight, and one of my Colt King Cobras on the nightstand in case the guy is a little larger than expected.

The King Cobras were given to me by my grandpa when he got cancer and started giving all his guns away. Both are originals from the first year it was manufactured (1986) and has neither has ever had a single round fired through it. One of them has an 8” barrel and the other has a 3” barrel. The one with the 3” barrel is one of less than 50 that we’re originally made.

Anyone knowledgeable about gun values? I’ve got to be sitting on several thousand.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
Odd timing that this thread comes up and there’s people asking “why do you need a gun.”

Well today in my life is a prime example.

I have an old barn/hayloft on my acreage and my dogs have been very interested in it for the last week or so. I went out to investigate this afternoon thinking I’d find a family of raccoons or maybe some opossums. I didn’t find any live animals, but what I did find was a good size pile of fresh trash on a makeshift bed constructed from old hay bales, including a half eaten pb&j and 8 empty whiskey shooters. The kicker is that yesterday I noticed my bread was moldy after making a pb&j, and I threw a full sandwich in the trash. Now there’s only half.

So basically I have a homeless guy living in my barn and eating moldy food that I throw in the trash, but I can’t find him.

Needless to say I’m paranoid he’s going to come into my house so I’m sleeping with my Glock in one hand tonight, and one of my Colt King Cobras on the nightstand in case the guy is a little larger than expected.

The King Cobras were given to me by my grandpa when he got cancer and started giving all his guns away. Both are originals from the first year it was manufactured (1986) and has neither has ever had a single round fired through it. One of them has an 8” barrel and the other has a 3” barrel. The one with the 3” barrel is one of less than 50 that we’re originally made.

Anyone knowledgeable about gun values? I’ve got to be sitting on several thousand.
You definitely have some valuable handguns with those old Colts. If you have the original boxes they came in ... even better.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
What's the consensus best model & method for concealed carry when the top consideration is compact/concealability & not printing while typically wearing thin/athletic clothes?

Preferably 9mm.
It's not my cup of tea, but there are a TON of people who use the Ruger LC9 for this very use case. There are a bunch of video review online that will give you the pro & con of every handgun, but this particular model meets your requirement and it's not overly expensive. In fact, the LCP Max, which holds 10+1, is $50 off today at Cabelas. LINK

An even thinner and lighter model from Ruger is the EC9, which is a single-stack magazine model, so it carries fewer freedom seeds (7+1). It is also on sale at Cabelas today. LINK

For summer shorts and athletic gear, a YUGE item that is often overlooked for concealment is the type of holster you select. I carry mine in a JM4 Tactical magnetic holster. They're fantastic to clip to gym shorts and even over the top of a carry belt. Another helpful LINK

Last edited:

CornHub

Offensive Lineman
Nothing wrong with a .380 round. It’s a “knocked down” 9mm in the same way that a .40 cal is a knocked down 10mm, a .38 Special is a knockdown .357 Magnum, etc.

A few years ago, I sat next to a former OPD guy on the plane. He led their SWAT team and was the guy you frequently saw on the news. I asked Chuck what he carried, and he told me that it was Sig P238 in .380 ACP, which is my daily carry as well. Light, easily concealed and comfortable to carry all day, every day.

Let’s talk ammo. You’ll need different ammo for the winter than you’ll carry in the summer. Why? Most of the hollow points for smaller rounds (9mm included) risk getting plugged with material from heavy outer garments. If the tip is plugged, it may prevent the round from “mushrooming” out or not penetrating deep enough to cause a wound channel significant enough to stop the attack.

Lehigh Defense makes a couple of solid core copper bullets that are excellent rounds to consider. Since you probably aren’t reloading your own rounds, go with the Underwood Extreme Defender ammo here. The tip of both the Extreme Defender and Extreme Penetrator round look similar to the tip of a Philips bead screwdriver.

Now consider that pistol (& rifle) barrels are “rifled” (grooved) internally to spin the bullet so that it rotates and flies straight (unlike a musket bullet, which made whizzing sounds as it zipped in a random direction down range). When that screwdriver like tip - spinning at 60,000+ revolutions per minute- encounters a varmint, it acts like an auger and creates a YUGE wound channel AND penetrates to an FBI targeted depth of roughly 14-18 inches before coming to a stop … fully intact. And VERY effectively stopping the attack.

I could also point you to a study done a few years ago that compiled data across a variety of firearms that were involved in shootings (10,000+ IIRC), and the study concluded that anything from a .380 ACP and above was an effective self-defense firearm and capable of stopping an attack.

Also consider how advanced bullet technology has become in the last decade and you no longer need a massive firearm to stop an attack.

Of course, ANY gun can kill with the right shot placement, but a self defense concealed carry firearm’s purpose is to stop an attack and allow you and your family to relocate to a safer location.

Helpful link to the Underwood Extreme Defender ammo show here.
Do know of any videos where they review the difference between hollow points and these extreme penetrators while being shot through winter clothes?

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
Do know of any videos where they review the difference between hollow points and these extreme penetrators while being shot through winter clothes?
Here's one with plywood, which essentially filled the hollow-point with material in much the same way that clothing could/would. The result was different than I expected (9 mm round, though):

This guy does a "mixed media" series where he wraps pork ribs in denim in front of ballistic gel. This one is with the Extreme Defender in .380, and it get's perfect and consistent penetration:

This one is with the Speer Gold Dot hollow-point in .380, same mixed media format, and the penetration is ... well, not good.

Hope those help.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
OK, found one with the "gold standard": Paul Harrell. He makes a compelling case for the Extreme Defender vs other .380 hollow point ammo.

CornHub

Offensive Lineman
OK, found one with the "gold standard": Paul Harrell. He makes a compelling case for the Extreme Defender vs other .380 hollow point ammo.

This one was very informative. I am curious if clothes are actually enough to clog up a hollow point though. The plywood definitely was, but I am curious what kind of expansion he was getting before shooting through the plywood.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
This one was very informative. I am curious if clothes are actually enough to clog up a hollow point though. The plywood definitely was, but I am curious what kind of expansion he was getting before shooting through the plywood.
Heavy fabric outwear can absolutely plug a hollow-point bullet, inhibiting expansion. The plywood plug was from a previous video - not the Paul Harrell one. A simple search on YouTube for the specific ammo you're interested in (e.g. 9mm Speer Gold Dot ballistic test) should give you some additional information in that regard.

There are many self defense rounds (e.g. Hornady Critical Defense) that carry an "FTX" tip - a piece of plastic that pierces the outer layer of material/skin/hide and the plastic tip drives back into the hollow point petals, causing the expansion process to begin. The pointed tip also facilitates a flatter, more accurate trajectory, resulting in better accuracy. Put too much velocity behind that round, though, and it could punch right through a bad guy and create a problem for the person behind them.

That's one of the reasons I'm an advocate of the Underwood Extreme Defense round: it's designed to not over-penetrate. The bullet rotation does tremendous damage along the temporary wound channel, and the online ballistic tests I've seen indicate that it comes to rest well within the FBI recommended penetration depth guidelines without any bullet deformation/fragmentation. There are downsides to a spinning bullet shaped like a blunt Philips head screwdriver coming out of a barrel, though, and I think Paul Harrell touched on that: it's not real aerodynamic and therefore it's not as accurate as an FTX tipped bullet at longer distances. So don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes!

Last edited:

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
I'm gonna soup kitchen your car
Seinfeld Soup GIF

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds