Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

OT: Gun Purchase Recs (4 Viewers)

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Wut version?
I’ll have to look at the box I guess. I’m going to call it “standard” for lack of better terms. Shortest barrel and shortest grip. Not the “X” and whatever others they offer. I did make sure it had the safety on it even though it’s frowned upon in most carriers eyes and I purchased separately the extended mag only for the range.

IM4NUALWAYS

Linebacker
Elite Member
Gonna jump in. Alaska boys, what’s the best compact bear pistol? Got an archery elk hunt in heavy grizzly country in 2024.
Ruger Super Red hawk Alaskan 44 Mag or 454 Casul. I won a 44 MAG in a drawing. What an amazing gun. 2.5 inch barrel and yet I can shoot it one handed. I don't but I can. Weighs like 3 lbs.

It is a fun gun to shoot and made for bear type situations specifically. 1000003836.jpg

Last edited:

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
Ruger Super Red hawk Alaskan 44 Mag or 454 Casul. I won a 44 MAG in a drawing. What an amazing gun. 2.5 inch barrel and yet I can shoot it one handed. I don't but I can. Weighs like 3 lbs.

It is a fun gun to shoot and made for bear type situations specifically. View attachment 34380
Indeed. Bear repellent is an important thing to bring with you whilst hiking in the woods! Be sure to add a guide's choice chest holster from Diamond D Custom Leather to have it accessible when you absolutely need it.

C960E23D-CC8E-4A97-8140-2C14DDBCB6B6_1_105_c.jpeg

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG

It is a fun gun to shoot and made for bear type situations specifically. View attachment 34380
Indeed. Bear repellent is an important thing to bring with you whilst hiking in the woods! Be sure to add a guide's choice chest holster from Diamond D Custom Leather to have it accessible when you absolutely need it.

View attachment 34398

Run the Damn Ball

I got a .357 sp101 with a 2.5 inch barrel and it's my wife's favorite thing to shoot. Big ass hogue rubber grips on it and I put neon nail polish on the front site.

She is scary good with it

alt f4

Administrator
Admin
Insider
Anyone have any experience with owning a Kimber? I've always just owned Sigs, but the Kimber 1911s looks pretty sick.

That was on my original list to purchase when I started this thread. I ended up getting 2 Sigs and a Glock for price of a Kimber 1911. I'll eventually probably buy

This is the one I was looking at:

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
Run the Damn Ball

I got a .357 sp101 with a 2.5 inch barrel and it's my wife's favorite thing to shoot. Big ass hogue rubber grips on it and I put neon nail polish on the front site.

She is scary good with it
I snagged a Ruger SP101 for my daughter for the same reasons. It's a Ruger, which means it's tough AF, and that 5-shot pistol is small enough they can handle it. As I've often told my daughter, "This gun is to buy you some space and buy you some time until you can get to your rifle*", which she's also pretty stout with.

66FB1297-9313-46B4-9D16-6693229209CC_1_105_c.jpeg

* Henry Model X in .357 Magnum / .38 Special

046C0CB4-E5E2-4CFE-93E9-6C3D61758FC2_1_105_c.jpeg

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
Wut do ya think about the 460 rowland in that scenario?
It's a bit of a "wildcat" cartridge - same size as a .45 ACP (parent cartridge) with the ooomph of a .44 Magnum. Honestly, because the .44 Magnum is a lot more "mainstream", I think I'd trend that way due to ammo availability.

I'm already fighting ammo availability on my .480 Ruger as it's fallen out of favor and has been replaced by the .460 and .500 Magnums (Smith & Wesson promoted). Thank goodness I had the wherewithal to stuff a few rounds into storage when the getting was good, or I'd be in trouble on that .480 Ruger.

BugeaterInWa

Linebacker
Elite Member
It's a bit of a "wildcat" cartridge - same size as a .45 ACP (parent cartridge) with the ooomph of a .44 Magnum. Honestly, because the .44 Magnum is a lot more "mainstream", I think I'd trend that way due to ammo availability.

I'm already fighting ammo availability on my .480 Ruger as it's fallen out of favor and has been replaced by the .460 and .500 Magnums (Smith & Wesson promoted). Thank goodness I had the wherewithal to stuff a few rounds into storage when the getting was good, or I'd be in trouble on that .480 Ruger.

Agree on availability of ammo. The main reason I tend to stay with common calibers.

As you preach, I've stacked deeply and only occasionally pick up bulk if there is a damn good deal.

Suck part for me is I need to start thinking about 308 ammo.

My personal preference is to have lots, LOTS of seeds.

Next firearm purchase will be a pair of the micro pistols (his/hers). Debating between the Springfield Hellcat or the Sig P265 micro.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
Next firearm purchase will be a pair of the micro pistols (his/hers). Debating between the Springfield Hellcat or the Sig P265 micro.
They can be pretty “snappy”. Make sure the Mrs. wants to deal with the recoil from a 9mm cartridge in a tiny, light pistol. They won’t train with it and become proficient handling it if they don’t enjoy shooting it.

Mine said “nope”, so she has a .380 instead. Like @God is a Husker’s wife, she’s disturbingly accurate with it. And coupled with the Underwood Ammo Xtreme Defender, it’s perfectly capable of stopping an attack in the event she needs to use it to do so.

Last edited:

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG

If you need Ammo I gotta a guy. Buddy down here at the lake has his Arms License so can go to the Armory to get stuff. He's been great at finding unusual ammo for my friends.

Driveway Jordan

Wide Receiver
Insider
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
That was on my original list to purchase when I started this thread. I ended up getting 2 Sigs and a Glock for price of a Kimber 1911. I'll eventually probably buy

That is what I was looking at. They look and feel badass. Never shot one.

Cookiemonster

PIIHB
Elite Member

What two sigs did you end up with?

I’m looking for a new one right now. Also looking at some AR options, may just go all in and get two. Tis the season.

kyle23

Linebacker
Elite Member
If anyone has a Belgium Browning Sweet 16 with a vent rib or knows someone who has one let me know. I'm looking for one in great shape that isn't a "salt gun" and one without a cracked forearm.

alt f4

Administrator
Admin
Insider
What two sigs did you end up with?

I’m looking for a new one right now. Also looking at some AR options, may just go all in and get two. Tis the season.

At that time I purchased a Sig P365x Macro and a Sig P320x Compact.

Without a doubt the P365x Macro is my favorite handgun I have.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds