Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

OT: Gun Purchase Recs (4 Viewers)

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
So what did you decide to do?

Unlimited ammo

4381476-fat%20guy%20sword.gif

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
I just realized I didn’t actually answer your question @LoudHogRider (I was gonna post a real answer after my samurai joke)

I haven’t bought a new handgun yet because I was given a .38 special (S&W 2.5in barrel, stainless and wood grip) and nice new CCW holster for free by a former Federal Judge. (Also like 200 rounds of different hollow points and 500 rounds of FMJ and lead nose to practice with)

He gave it to me after finding out what I’m doing in 2023 (prosecuting murders) and when I told him all I had was my uncle’s old ass 1911 that I don’t ever carry. (Heavy as shit plus I don’t even have a holster for it)

He gave me the gun/holster/ammo for free because he said his first year as a Federal prosecutor in Texas he was given an old wheel gun by an older retired lawman. Passing along the tradition.

It is not at all what I would have bought if I had my druthers, but everything was free and out of sentiment for the gift I have refrained from buying anything else.

Jay Bilzerian

Safety
Elite Member
I just realized I didn’t actually answer your question @LoudHogRider (I was gonna post a real answer after my samurai joke)

I haven’t bought a new handgun yet because I was given a .38 special (S&W 2.5in barrel, stainless and wood grip) and nice new CCW holster for free by a former Federal Judge. (Also like 200 rounds of different hollow points and 500 rounds of FMJ and lead nose to practice with)

He gave it to me after finding out what I’m doing in 2023 (prosecuting murders) and when I told him all I had was my uncle’s old ass 1911 that I don’t ever carry. (Heavy as shit plus I don’t even have a holster for it)

He gave me the gun/holster/ammo for free because he said his first year as a Federal prosecutor in Texas he was given an old wheel gun by an older retired lawman. Passing along the tradition.

It is not at all what I would have bought if I had my druthers, but everything was free and out of sentiment for the gift I have refrained from buying anything else.
That’s a damn cool story

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG

You're going to have to keep that going.

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
My Dad just got a Ruger SP101 .357 at a gun show.

He traded it straight up for his little Walther .22LR that always jams.

1.) what a swindle

2.) he said he is gonna give me it since I have all this .38spl ammo.

3.) anybody got recs for .357 ammo?. *that I can actually find/buy in rural Nebraska/Kansas/Missouri

22*43*51

Punter Fluffer
Elite Member
Cockeye
Won my fourth gun in the last five DU banquets

1). Go to small county DU events(low attendance)
2). Spend ~$300-400 on raffle events.
3). Profit

Winnings so far. Henry .44 mag(2020 gun of year) Franchi 20ga, Weatherby 12ga, Kimber R7 Mako.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
My Dad just got a Ruger SP101 .357 at a gun show.

He traded it straight up for his little Walther .22LR that always jams.

1.) what a swindle

2.) he said he is gonna give me it since I have all this .38spl ammo.

3.) anybody got recs for .357 ammo?. *that I can actually find/buy in rural Nebraska/Kansas/Missouri
SGAmmo dot com. Family owned business out of OK, free shipping on orders over $200. They included a Hornady .357 Mag round (Critical Defense) in yesterday's promotional email. Hollow points for self-defense, full metal jacket (FMJ) for practice ammo when you need to replicate the same "bang" you're going to get with a .357 round vs. the .38 Special round.

Pro tip: mix the .38's and .357's when you're practicing to help you work through the anticipatory 'flinch' that shooters develop when firing a powerful handgun round like the .357.

That SP-101 is a nice little pistol. Much more comfortable to carry than Ruger's GP-100, which is a tank ... but a tank that will last ya a lifetime and beyond. I picked up a "Match Champion" version of it for my daughter for self-defense purposes in AZ.

IMG_0929.jpeg

Last edited:

Ext. 55

Big Poppa
Elite Member
tPB OG
Libs and limp wrists stay out.

Edit:
I ended up getting a Sig P365 xmacro and Holosun 507k ACSS Vulcan red dot, P320 xcompact, Springfield XDM 4.5 elite, Glock 45 and Vortex Viper red dot, and Daniel Defense M4 V9 and Sig Bravo 3 scope.

Looking at purchasing a few guns after selling off basically everything several years ago.

Hunting rifles and shotguns I'm good. Handguns all I have is a Springfield xd 9mm.
Love, love, love…that macro…as someone who has large hands, finally a conceal that is comfortable.

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
SGAmmo dot com. Family owned business out of OK, free shipping on orders over $200. They included a Hornady .357 Mag round (Critical Defense) in yesterday's promotional email. Hollow points for self-defense, full metal jacket (FMJ) for practice ammo when you need to replicate the same "bang" you're going to get with a .357 round vs. the .38 Special round.

Pro tip: mix the .38's and .357's when you're practicing to help you work through the anticipatory 'flinch' that shooters develop when firing a powerful handgun round like the .357.

That SP-101 is a nice little pistol. Much more comfortable to carry than Ruger's GP-100, which is a tank ... but a tank that will last ya a lifetime and beyond. I picked up a "Match Champion" version of it for my daughter for self-defense purposes in AZ.

View attachment 21299
You want to shoot a fun one, get the S&W 329PD. .44mag with AirLite frame. Love it!

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
You want to shoot a fun one, get the S&W 329PD. .44mag with AirLite frame. Love it!
Yea, we talked about that one earlier ITT. It's not that I'm recoil sensitive, but that dadgummed .44 Magnum round is SHARP when it lights off. I've got a .480 Ruger in a chest rig for the high country, and an older Taurus .44 special for the truck gun. The Underwood Xtreme Defender ammo in .44 Special ought to keep the 2-legged varmints under control. :cool:

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Yea, we talked about that one earlier ITT. It's not that I'm recoil sensitive, but that dadgummed .44 Magnum round is SHARP when it lights off. I've got a .480 Ruger in a chest rig for the high country, and an older Taurus .44 special for the truck gun. The Underwood Xtreme Defender ammo in .44 Special ought to keep the 2-legged varmints under control. :cool:
Lol we did? I can’t remember shit! See how much I love it! Sharp for sure!!

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG

My cousin has a Henry Lever action that shoots .44 mag and brother it’s too much fun to shoot handgun rounds out of a rifle.

After a few times filling up the tube with new bullets it starts to hit you how much $$$ you just pew pew pew’ed.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
My cousin has a Henry Lever action that shoots .44 mag and brother it’s too much fun to shoot handgun rounds out of a rifle.

After a few times filling up the tube with new bullets it starts to hit you how much $$$ you just pew pew pew’ed.
Completely agreed. That’s why I buy in bulk and when on sale. And lever guns and revolvers are my new thing. Even better when they shoot the same rounds. #CowboyWay.

BushAK

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
Won my fourth gun in the last five DU banquets

1). Go to small county DU events(low attendance)
2). Spend ~$300-400 on raffle events.
3). Profit

Winnings so far. Henry .44 mag(2020 gun of year) Franchi 20ga, Weatherby 12ga, Kimber R7 Mako.
I had buddies that used to clean up at the DU and NRA banquets in my former bush Alaska community. They were almost always during basketball season so I never got to attend.

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
Completely agreed. That’s why I buy in bulk and when on sale. And lever guns and revolvers are my new thing. Even better when they shoot the same rounds. #CowboyWay.

The only Rifle I really like to shoot and also don’t feel like a douche bag for hunting with it is my Henry 30-30 lever action. It’s basically straight out of the box.
Wood stock, Iron sights, no sling, recoil pad that came built in with the gun.

It feels like I’m shooting a .22 compared to shooting my Dad’s old .308 deer rifle and the gun itself actually looks good/classy compared to modern rifles that offer reduced recoil. (No offense to anybody who goes hunting with AR platform rifles)

Bottom line for me is I’m not trying to be Chris Kyle. Im fine with being a 100 yards or less shooter with my little 30-30.
I might take shots between 100-200 yards if it’s an animal I don’t give a fuck about if I don’t kill shot (Hogs, Coyotes, etc) but for Deer or anything else that I’m trying to actually drop the further over 100 yards it is = the more likely I will pass on the shot and wait for another chance.

tumblr_inline_o0ggdwRFfS1ta7ve7_500.gif

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
The only Rifle I really like to shoot and also don’t feel like a douche bag for hunting with it is my Henry 30-30 lever action. It’s basically straight out of the box.
Wood stock, Iron sights, no sling, recoil pad that came built in with the gun.

It feels like I’m shooting a .22 compared to shooting my Dad’s old .308 deer rifle and the gun itself actually looks good/classy compared to modern rifles that offer reduced recoil. (No offense to anybody who goes hunting with AR platform rifles)

Bottom line for me is I’m not trying to be Chris Kyle. Im fine with being a 100 yards or less shooter with my little 30-30.
I might take shots between 100-200 yards if it’s an animal I don’t give a fuck about if I don’t kill shot (Hogs, Coyotes, etc) but for Deer or anything else that I’m trying to actually drop the further over 100 yards it is = the more likely I will pass on the shot and wait for another chance.

tumblr_inline_o0ggdwRFfS1ta7ve7_500.gif
That 30-30 round is my next lever action purchase. I've got smaller (.357 Mag / 38 Special, but that's with the daughter in AZ), and bigger (.44 Mag / 45-70 Gov't), but that 30-30 has been talking to me for about 18 months now. I'll have onein the blind with me for next deer season, now it's just a matter of selecting the right one for the collection. I really want a Henry case-hardened side gate, but need that Crypto to go to the moon (it's my mad money) before "pulling the trigger" on acquiring one (or two). Just looking at these beauties inspires a taffy pull.

H009GCC_H010GCC_Hero.jpg

Last edited:

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds