Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

OT: Gun Purchase Recs (2 Viewers)

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
I own neither 1. nor 2.

#fail
33iqmp5ATXT5m.gif

I'd like a .357 and I want a HENRY or a MARLIN level action rifle.
I always try to stay out of the brand debates on firearms. All of them have their merits, strengths and weaknesses. With that said ... I've owned S&W revolvers before, and the Model 686 SSR in .357 was a joy to shoot. Accurate AF, too. I always said if a bad guy had a knife to my daughter's throat and I had to pick one weapon to use to stop that threat, that was the one. Wound up selling it to a very good friend who was completely weaponless when the BLM stuff was percolating a few summers ago. He remains grateful to me on that deal, and someday I'll grab another one to like it have an pass on to the descendants. Or a Ruger in .357. Those dang GP-100s are built like tanks, definitely a forever gun.

IF you're considering a Marlin, Ruger purchased the name and equipment a few years ago when the Remington group went tits up. They've only released two rifles so far, both stainless steel and in 45-70 Government. Initial reviews on those two models are phenomenally positive - Ruger got it right - but that's a whole lotta rifle for where you live, amigo. If you're looking at used Marlins, try to find a "JM" stamped one. They're from the era BEFORE Remington bought Marlin, and are considered their best era.

I've got a couple of Henry's, but in the X series vs. their traditional brass and walnut stock guns. I figured they'd be out there getting banged up a little, not sitting in a gun case for show, so I went that route. The .357 is shown below (and currently residing in your new home state at my daughter's house). The .44 is identical, though it currently lacks the scope and picatinny rail scope mount kit. Thinking about just sticking with iron sights on that one ...

IMG_0789.jpeg

alt f4

Administrator
Admin
Insider
So I forgot how addicting guns are. Ending up purchasing the following.

Sig P365 x-macro - this one just came out a few weeks ago and rented one. Picking up mine tonight.
Sig P320 x-compact
Glock G45 - full sized frame with a compact slide
Glock G44 .22 for my son
Springfield xdm elite 4.5" full size - 5 total 20 round mags and range bag with promo going on now.

Now moving onto optics and rail lighting.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
So I forgot how addicting guns are
Indeed. I did a little research, and it’s been an entire year (and 1 day) since my last firearm acquisition. Hmmmmm.

Since I dumped the Citori last year - and I’ve been a pretty good boy all year - perhaps it’s time to make my way over to my LGS to fondle a new Benelli Ethos (or two). :cool:

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
The new e-forms are a LOT faster, but yes - there is still a process to go through.
Took me 16 months to get my paper form one after filing in Feb of 2021. Then did the e-file a couple months ago for another. Brother been waiting 5 months or better on his e-file

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
The new e-forms are a LOT faster, but yes - there is still a process to go through.
What’s great is after doing my first through silencer central is they just keep everything on file and all I had to do the second time was give them money. Will do 4473 when it arrives

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
Yep. That’s the one.
Mine has a shorter barrel and the factory hoop.
I don’t have a scope on mine… and my front sight is broken. Hahaha

View attachment 12185
Hope you've got that front sight replaced by now! I snagged this handy ammo caliber guide from the Marlin Owners Forum for your use and reference for the upcoming hunting season:

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 10.48.27 PM.png

Nelsonj22

Defensive Lineman
Libs and limp wrists stay out.

Looking at purchasing a few guns after selling off basically everything several years ago.

Hunting rifles and shotguns I'm good. Handguns all I have is a Springfield xd 9mm.

I'm looking at getting a .45 1911, a subcompact 9mm for wife (she used to have Glock 19), and an entry level AR. Possibly another full size 9mm for myself.

Suggestions for each? I did like the feel and weight of the Springfield 1911 Defender and Garrison, and Kimber Custom II.
Conceal carry p365 for the win, both you and the wife IMO

For the full size I would strongly recommend NOT getting the 45 & Full size 9mm unless money is no object.

Use that money to buy this, you can get 9mm ammo that is just as good or better than a 45.

If that's a little steep, ANY of the CZ 75's are legit. Here's there full line up

alt f4

Administrator
Admin
Insider
Daniel Defense is top shelf brother! Have one too. Send those freedom seeds down range!
Yeah I've wanted one since researching and asking around. Didn't want to spend the $2k on an AR so was looking at entry level other brands. Ended up finding this one used on auction at gunbroker.com, jumped on it and got it for $1,275.

Conceal carry p365 for the win, both you and the wife IMO

For the full size I would strongly recommend NOT getting the 45 & Full size 9mm unless money is no object.

Use that money to buy this, you can get 9mm ammo that is just as good or better than a 45.

If that's a little steep, ANY of the CZ 75's are legit. Here's there full line up

Thanks for late recs. I ended up getting a P365 x macro which will be my conceal. I did stay all 9mm. Springfield XDM full sized, Glock 44 (. 22), p365 xmacro, p320 x compact, and a Glock 45.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds