Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

McKewon: 2023 NU FB has one of weakest rosters I've seen at Nebraska (3 Viewers)

DuckSker

RedSeaFarts=Sandalwood
Elite Member
What would you be looking for in his film to where we can all agree he sucked or he was good?

What is a good baseline for what an average to above average player at his position would be able to achieve as far as stats go?

I’m not making any argument about eating up double teams being the only job of an interior DL. It is A job of an interior player. It is not THEE ONLY one. Curious as to why your head jumped here.
Ok i’ll humor you and answer all the questions that you apparently don’t know football well enough to answer for yourself.

Let’s use Keeanu Benton’s season last year (Wiscy NT) as a baseline. He’s the same size, position, and was actually a much lower ranked recruit than Nash. Keeanu was class of 2019 while Nash was class of 2020 so he’s not much older.

Keeanu was 3rd team all Big Ten last season on a 7-5 team. Keaanu finished the year with 20 solo tackles, 8 TFL’s, 4.5 sacks, and 3 pass deflections. He made it absolutely impossible to run up the gut against Wisconsin.

Would it be too much to ask of Nash to be a 3rd team all conference performer for us next year in his 4th year like Keeanu was for Wiscy? If so, why not? Maybe because he isnt that good?

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Ok i’ll humor you and answer all the questions that you apparently don’t know football well enough to answer for yourself.

Let’s use Keeanu Benton’s season last year (Wiscy NT) as a baseline. He’s the same size, position, and was actually a much lower ranked recruit than Nash. Keeanu was class of 2019 while Nash was class of 2020 so he’s not much older.

Keeanu was 3rd team all Big Ten last season on a 7-5 team. Keaanu finished the year with 20 solo tackles, 8 TFL’s, 4.5 sacks, and 3 pass deflections. He made it absolutely impossible to run up the gut against Wisconsin.

Would it be too much to ask of Nash to be a 3rd team all conference performer for us next year in his 4th year like Keeanu was for Wiscy? If so, why not? Maybe because he isnt that good?

I’m not asking these questions because I don’t know football. I’m asking these questions because you came to the conclusion in July that Nash would be terrible moving forward. Since you know so much I don’t think it’s out of line to ask how you came to those conclusions and what metrics you’ll employ to determine if you’re right or wrong.

Using a team record to determine how good an individual player is isn’t wise. If it was the NFL scouts would have easy jobs.

Using an all conference team to determine success isn’t as granular (I think you know what this word means without googling?) as I’d like to get.

You finally came to some tangible stats that we can use to determine the success or lack there of here. Personally, I don’t think those are what I’d look at. I’d look at a guy like Kevon Darton who played Nash’s exact position in the exact defense that Nash will play in. Syracuse was 21st in total defense last year. Would you accept that if Nebraska gets to 21st in total defense this year that it played probably above its head?

JerryBones5

Safety
Elite Member
Pick'Em Champion
I'll just say, anyone doubting Jeff Sims in this thread is flat out wrong. There is one thing you can't teach when it comes to the Quarterback position and that is experience. Jeff Sims has a ton of it and it is an absolute game changer.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
I'll just say, anyone doubting Jeff Sims in this thread is flat out wrong. There is one thing you can't teach when it comes to the Quarterback position and that is experience. Jeff Sims has a ton of it and it is an absolute game changer.
This guy Pate is a big fan of Sims. He did a pretty good video on NU and said that Sims is being criminally underrated.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
I mean a lot of experience is the being taught part. 2AM also had a ton of experience and was still really shitty at decision making.

JerryBones5

Safety
Elite Member
Pick'Em Champion
I mean a lot of experience is the being taught part. 2AM also had a ton of experience and was still really shitty at decision making.
That's a fair point but I'd say the situations are completely different. 2AM couldn't get out of his own way and he doesn't have near the arm talent as Sims. (IN before people bring up stats from Georgia Tech:ROFLMAO:) Also, Sims will be in a way more QB friendly offense.

Cornicator

Cornerback
Insider
That's a fair point but I'd say the situations are completely different. 2AM couldn't get out of his own way and he doesn't have near the arm talent as Sims. (IN before people bring up stats from Georgia Tech:ROFLMAO:) Also, Sims will be in a way more QB friendly offense.

I'm pretty that if you were survey 25 Power 5 Coaches who want a dual threat QB whether they would take Jeff Sims or Adrian Martinez, the majority of responses would be in favor of Adrian.

KidsSeeGhosts

Quarterback
Elite Member
Sims and Adrian are a good comparison. Both are guys that can give you unbelievable plays (both positive and pants shitting negative). Both were asked to do too much for most of their college careers so they naturally have plenty of fuck ups on their resumes. Sims will do fine when he isn't asked to be the end all be all.

DuckSker

RedSeaFarts=Sandalwood
Elite Member
I’m not asking these questions because I don’t know football. I’m asking these questions because you came to the conclusion in July that Nash would be terrible moving forward. Since you know so much I don’t think it’s out of line to ask how you came to those conclusions and what metrics you’ll employ to determine if you’re right or wrong.

Using a team record to determine how good an individual player is isn’t wise. If it was the NFL scouts would have easy jobs.

Using an all conference team to determine success isn’t as granular (I think you know what this word means without googling?) as I’d like to get.

You finally came to some tangible stats that we can use to determine the success or lack there of here. Personally, I don’t think those are what I’d look at. I’d look at a guy like Kevon Darton who played Nash’s exact position in the exact defense that Nash will play in. Syracuse was 21st in total defense last year. Would you accept that if Nebraska gets to 21st in total defense this year that it played probably above its head?
I would hope Nash can do what Syracuse’s 5’11 265 pound former walk on NT did last year. That should be the low bar. They were in the shitty ACC and went 7-5. That’s good for probably 5-7 in the Big Ten. Also they ran the piss out of the football and did a good job keeping their defense off the field. But this convo is about Nash so back to him.

What do you like about Nash when you watch his game? His incredibly stiff hips? His non explosiveness and lack of speed? I’ve told you what i don’t like about Nash, can you tell me what you like about him so much? This will be his 4th year im the program and he’s hardly contributed so far. Is that what we want out of our former 4 star recruits?

I’ve said since his senior year of HS he was better suited for OG and i stand by that

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
I would hope Nash can do what Syracuse’s 5’11 265 pound former walk on NT did last year. That should be the low bar. They were in the shitty ACC and went 7-5. That’s good for probably 5-7 in the Big Ten. Also they ran the piss out of the football and did a good job keeping their defense off the field. But this convo is about Nash so back to him.

What do you like about Nash when you watch his game? His incredibly stiff hips? His non explosiveness and lack of speed? I’ve told you what i don’t like about Nash, can you tell me what you like about him so much? This will be his 4th year im the program and he’s hardly contributed so far. Is that what we want out of our former 4 star recruits?

I’ve said since his senior year of HS he was better suited for OG and i stand by that

You’ll see that when that former walkon played well for Syracuse that their success tended to correlate. I’m assuming you can make that deduction. Going a step further you’ll also see that in the games in which Syracuse played well enough to win defensively the Moneyball number for Kevon appeared to be 4 solo tackles and 1 assisted ones. He played out of his mind against Clemson and as fate would have it Syracuse had a shot to win that one.

I appreciate that you pointed out that the short and small walkon is physically limited yet Tony White’s system around him appeared to allow them to win more games than they lost and had them play well enough in 10 of those games to win.

We’re not going to use any intangible metrics here. So you saying “Yeah 7-5 in the ACC is like 5-7 in the Big Ten” can’t really be measured. So it proves nothing. Let alone the fact that Syracuse’s defense played two big ten teams last year and didn’t allow more than 77 rush yards against them in either game.

Syracuse averaged 240 pounds across their front 7. Yet two big ten teams couldn’t muster over 150 rush yards on offense collectively against them. Minnesota outweighed them by about 60 pounds per man.

With what White has done with physically limited players against Big Ten competition; is it really that big of a stretch to say that one of our more physically put together guys can do well in White’s system with what he’ll be asked to do? All we need from him to win more games than we lose is about 35 total tackles. Not solo, just total tackles. He doesn’t have to sack the QB and he doesn’t have to get TFLs. For Nebraska to be good on defense Nash has to have that many tackles total.

Stan Raymond

Cornerback
This thread has reinvigorated my negativity.

If we are being honest with ourselves, there is a higher chance we go 2-10 than 8-4.

Ok 2-10 is probably more for comedic effect than anything, but 3-9 to 5-7 is all very much on the table. 8-4 should put MR in for coach of the year discussion IYAM. That would require a bunch of lucky breaks. Favorable bounces, lack of injuries for us, and catching other teams while they have some critical injuries.

Yep this is actually the correct take. 2 injuries - I think if Sims and Scott both go down in game 1 (w season enders), you could be looking at 3-9.

But if the team stayed (relatively) healthy they could actually do 8-4. It's unlikely but they could do it w this year's schedule.

If I had to bet on Sims missing at least 2 starts due to injury unfortunately I would take that bet.

Any prediction with fewer than 4 wins isn't realistic. Our roster is more talented by quite a bit than La Tech, Northern Illinois, Northwestern and Colorado. Even if we have key injuries we will win those 4 games. In the same way our roster isn't comparable to Michigan, that's pretty much a loss.

Purdue should also be a win, but there is so much unknown there with brand new HC. Like most of the previous seasons, success depends on how we do against the B1G West in Illinois, Cockeye, Wisconsin, Minnesota, add in Michigan St and Maryland and there are 6 games that we could win, but could be slight underdogs.

I can see us going 5-7, if things don't work out or we have some injuries, but I have a hard time seeing anything worse. At the same time I have a hard time seeing everything going right and don't see any more than 7 wins. 5 to 7 wins covers the vast majority of realistic outcomes, probably over 85% of possibilities.

Personally I'm a bit on the high side and think Rhule can get this roster to 7-6 after the bowl game.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I worry about the offensive design and if there is a receiver on the team that scares any DB coach in the Big 10.

But I also get paid a stipend to coach 2A football in Kansas while these guys get paid millions to coach at the University of Nebraska, so what the fuck do I know?

BIG TONE SOPRANO

Really Big Truck
Elite Member
- Jeff Sins will be the worst day one starting QB of the last 20 years.

- linebackers need career back ups like Sherman and Borders to even reach below average status. Bullock is a nice story, but he's going to start next to Reimer. 2 best linebackers are former walk ons.

- Two true Freshmen are needed to start on the defensive line. I like Prince, but he's going to get killed vs. Minnesota.

- Interior DLine has game experience, but they've never stopped the run before.

- Nate Boerkicher is your starting TE.

- Gabe Irvin is incredibly overrated

- And the offensive line is one of the worst units in the Power 5.

Btw, Gilbert isn't going to get his waiver. The NCAA has set a pretty strict precedent so far this Summer about denying waivers for two time transfers.

I think the Panda isn't too far off in this assessment.

The Lord has spoken. So it shall be

JerryBones5

Safety
Elite Member
Pick'Em Champion
I worry about the offensive design and if there is a receiver on the team that scares any DB coach in the Big 10.

But I also get paid a stipend to coach 2A football in Kansas while these guys get paid millions to coach at the University of Nebraska, so what the fuck do I know?
Malachi Coleman is going to be a matchup nightmare. He’s just going to be a freshman(obviously) so there will be obvious growing pains but once it clicks look out

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
The thing concerning me with Sims is his ball security. Guys that fumble piss me off and need a Shrek clap.

Poor_and_Stupid

Prolific Beaver Murderer
Elite Member
Any prediction with fewer than 4 wins isn't realistic. Our roster is more talented by quite a bit than La Tech, Northern Illinois, Northwestern and Colorado. Even if we have key injuries we will win those 4 games. In the same way our roster isn't comparable to Michigan, that's pretty much a loss.

Purdue should also be a win, but there is so much unknown there with brand new HC. Like most of the previous seasons, success depends on how we do against the B1G West in Illinois, Cockeye, Wisconsin, Minnesota, add in Michigan St and Maryland and there are 6 games that we could win, but could be slight underdogs.

I can see us going 5-7, if things don't work out or we have some injuries, but I have a hard time seeing anything worse. At the same time I have a hard time seeing everything going right and don't see any more than 7 wins. 5 to 7 wins covers the vast majority of realistic outcomes, probably over 85% of possibilities.

Personally I'm a bit on the high side and think Rhule can get this roster to 7-6 after the bowl game.
I refuse to believe until I’ve seen anything other than the status quo. We could teach a masterclass on losing to less talented teams.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds