Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

McKewon: 2023 NU FB has one of weakest rosters I've seen at Nebraska (4 Viewers)

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I even think Riley's leftovers for Frost were stronger than this. The OL was decent and players like Morgan, Spielman, Ozigbo, Dedric Young, the Davis DL bros, etc, were all good B1G players to fill out a roster.

If the majority of our transfers and young players hit it could change the outlook but history tells you they'll be hit and miss.
Can't really argue that. However, I would say they're all kind of a mixture of good, not great, so without legit game changers, it's all the same story different year.

Poor_and_Stupid

Prolific Beaver Murderer
Elite Member
This thread has reinvigorated my negativity.

Be I completely disagree. Completely.

Call it Kool-Aid of you want, but this roster is more than capable of getting to 8 wins. I'm not saying that they will get to 8 wins, but the definitely could.

Minnesota is a challenge week 0, but let's not act like they are more than they are - an extremely flawed team that is replacing a ton of reliable experience. I expect us to lose this game, but wouldn't be shocked with a win.

Cornicator is vastly overreacting with his post. Sims won't be all conference, but he has tools to be a solid QB. And his arguments about the LBs and freshman DL don't make any sense - either you start as a freshman (something he views as bad) or you are a "career backup" for the first few years of your career. Both scenarios can't be bad - what other alternate is there? Boerkicher will definitely play at TE, but I don't believe he will be the starter just because he caught the first pass in the Spring Game. I wouldn't say Ervin is overrated - what are your expectations for him? And the OL was terrible, I agree. But with improved coaching, it's not unrealistic to hope/expect for the unit to improve as well.

Just relax big fella. It's never as bad as we think it is.

If we are being honest with ourselves, there is a higher chance we go 2-10 than 8-4.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG

If we are being honest with ourselves, there is a higher chance we go 2-10 than 8-4.
I'm not sure that's meaningful. Two wins means we break Scott Frost's record for lowest season winning percentage since 1957. I.e., lowest WP in 66 years. That's pretty unlikely. I also agree it is unlikely we win 8.

The fact that these are both very unlikely and one is slightly less very unlikely than the other - whichever one is which - tells me nothing

Is t more unlikely we'll be 7-5 than 4-8?

Blakejc

Corporate Potato
Elite Member
there’s talent on this team, but the majority is unproven.

Proven talent: Washington, Kemp, Scott, Newsome, Hartzog, Reimer, Ty Robinson(?).

Unproven talent; Betts, Sims, Fidone, Teddy, Gilbert, Sherman, Bullock, Nash, all of our DEs.

And some dudes are just role players: Piper, Benhart, all of our RBs, Boerk, Buford, Farmer.

I think you’re lucky if your unproven talent has a 50% hit rate, so how good can we be with the proven talent and half the unproven guy’s starting to make a name?

Lionsfan93

Running Back
Recruiting Analyst
Nebrasketball
tPB OG

If I'm being honest with myself, 8-4 is over 2x's as likely as 2-10. If you "honestly" feel that way, it's only because you have been beaten down by the Frost era. That's not an honest assessment.

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
For those who used to frequent Taterville, Sam McKewon used to post under this handle, he also apparently moved to the new Tater site. Made an interesting comment today.

Kind of surprised how harsh he is on the current roster. It's a paper thin roster so I'll give him that. Also a lot of unknowns like Sims, Fidone, Sherman, Betts, Gilbert, etc. Definitely makes you want to hammer the UNDER on 6.0 wins in Vegas.

View attachment 24742
He's one of the dumbest wanna-be-analysts of all time. I take solace in him having this take.

DuckSker

RedSeaFarts=Sandalwood
Elite Member
Agree on Gabe Irvin being overrated as of right now. Has all the physical tools but needs to work on vision and patience which was evident in the spring game. Anthony Grant is the best RB on our roster right now

Poor_and_Stupid

Prolific Beaver Murderer
Elite Member
If I'm being honest with myself, 8-4 is over 2x's as likely as 2-10. If you "honestly" feel that way, it's only because you have been beaten down by the Frost era. That's not an honest assessment.
Ok 2-10 is probably more for comedic effect than anything, but 3-9 to 5-7 is all very much on the table. 8-4 should put MR in for coach of the year discussion IYAM. That would require a bunch of lucky breaks. Favorable bounces, lack of injuries for us, and catching other teams while they have some critical injuries.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Unproven talent; Betts, Sims, Fidone, Teddy, Gilbert, Sherman, Bullock, Nash, all of our DEs.
I'd add Ervin to that Unproven group as well.

So basically all of these are unknowns:
  • starting QB
  • starting RB
  • starting WR (wide, not slot)
  • starting TE
  • starting LT
Those, along with C and slot WR are probably the 7 most important roles on offense and 5 of ours are unknown. It's obviously not an ideal situation but we can't assume that all 5 players are going to be terrible - I think saying that isn't really an honest way to do this.

I do want to make the point that this "unknown roster" thing is only going to be more and more prevalent. That MSU team in 2021 probably looked very unknown in July before their season ....but they ended going 11-2. So just because you have unknowns doesn't mean it's inherently a weak roster. It might turn out that way, but really hard to know in July before the season.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Your eyes.

Go watch his spring game tape against our #2 O-Line and tell me what you think

As usual, you’re making two different points and you’re wrong on this one and you didn’t really answer my question.

We’ve got an entire season to play. What has to happen for you to say “Nash played well this year” ?

jickey moseph

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
The thing about the QB situation (Corn's take that Sims is the worst QB of the last 20 years) - Martinez is probably the most talented QB we've had in 20 years, in terms of arm talent, athleticism, tools, you name it. Yet, he was the most frustrating QB I think I've ever seen. Fumbling the ball seemingly out of nowhere, putting the ball on his off arm while running for a first down and because of that it isn't a first down, and just the general lack of pocket presence and feel (see - 2021 Minnesota game and the safety). Granted he probably played with injuries and his HC was Frost.

In short - a HC and QB combo matter in college. Frost was confident, but cocky and his shortcomings displayed in Martinez's play. Sims might not have the talent, who is to say Rhule's coaching intangibles won't overshadow Sims' weaknesses.

Also... Sims worse than Tanner 'Pick 6' Lee? C'mon.

DuckSker

RedSeaFarts=Sandalwood
Elite Member
As usual, you’re making two different points and you’re wrong on this one and you didn’t really answer my question.

We’ve got an entire season to play. What has to happen for you to say “Nash played well this year” ?
I mean the tape is out there, go watch it. Quite frankly i think you’re a retard if you think Nash is a good defensive lineman right now. What evidence do you have that he is a good player?

He consistently got blown 4 yards off the ball by our interior O-Line in the spring game and watching him try and get off a pass block and create pressure is comical. Piper was locking him up in pass pro 1v1 and that’s saying something.

You’re consistent in your defense of Nash so i’ll ask this as well.. you think he’s a sunday guy? All conference caliber? What’s your assessment of him.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds