Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

McKewon: 2023 NU FB has one of weakest rosters I've seen at Nebraska (4 Viewers)

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
For those who used to frequent Taterville, Sam McKewon used to post under this handle, he also apparently moved to the new Tater site. Made an interesting comment today.

Kind of surprised how harsh he is on the current roster. It's a paper thin roster so I'll give him that. Also a lot of unknowns like Sims, Fidone, Sherman, Betts, Gilbert, etc. Definitely makes you want to hammer the UNDER on 6.0 wins in Vegas.

IMG_0020.jpeg

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
FuCGpu9acAEdvB_

Cornicator

Cornerback
Insider
For those who used to frequent Taterville, Sam McKewon used to post under this handle, he also apparently moved to the new Tater site. Made an interesting comment today.

Kind of surprised how harsh he is on the current roster. It's a paper thin roster so I'll give him that. Also a lot of unknowns like Sims, Fidone, Sherman, Betts, Gilbert, etc. Definitely makes you want to hammer the UNDER on 6.0 wins in Vegas.

View attachment 24742

- Jeff Sins will be the worst day one starting QB of the last 20 years.

- linebackers need career back ups like Sherman and Borders to even reach below average status. Bullock is a nice story, but he's going to start next to Reimer. 2 best linebackers are former walk ons.

- Two true Freshmen are needed to start on the defensive line. I like Prince, but he's going to get killed vs. Minnesota.

- Interior DLine has game experience, but they've never stopped the run before.

- Nate Boerkicher is your starting TE.

- Gabe Irvin is incredibly overrated

- And the offensive line is one of the worst units in the Power 5.

Btw, Gilbert isn't going to get his waiver. The NCAA has set a pretty strict precedent so far this Summer about denying waivers for two time transfers.

I think the Panda isn't too far off in this assessment.

Cornicator

Cornerback
Insider
Also agree with Panda here. I've been surprised by people that think 6 wins is expected.

Besides a questionable roster, you're implementing new schemes on offense and defense. Even with a more talented team, that can be difficult.

I actually think the schematic transition won't have much of an impact. What Nebraska does have on their roster is experience. Guys that have been around the game for a while usually don't have much of a learning curve.

However, I don't believe Jeff Sims can effectively execute any offense.

Adolph Coors

Fat
Elite Member
agree 100%. another 3-9/4-8 season. theres just a bunch of really average guys and no difference makers

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Game 1 players by snap last year. Considering the guys still here are a year more experienced, I guess I certainly don't see how this is any better than what we are likely to see this August 31. It looks worse to me.

1689075579049.png
1689075666603.png

Lionsfan93

Running Back
Recruiting Analyst
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
I completely disagree. Completely.

Call it Kool-Aid of you want, but this roster is more than capable of getting to 8 wins. I'm not saying that they will get to 8 wins, but the definitely could.

Minnesota is a challenge week 0, but let's not act like they are more than they are - an extremely flawed team that is replacing a ton of reliable experience. I expect us to lose this game, but wouldn't be shocked with a win.

Cornicator is vastly overreacting with his post. Sims won't be all conference, but he has tools to be a solid QB. And his arguments about the LBs and freshman DL don't make any sense - either you start as a freshman (something he views as bad) or you are a "career backup" for the first few years of your career. Both scenarios can't be bad - what other alternate is there? Boerkicher will definitely play at TE, but I don't believe he will be the starter just because he caught the first pass in the Spring Game. I wouldn't say Ervin is overrated - what are your expectations for him? And the OL was terrible, I agree. But with improved coaching, it's not unrealistic to hope/expect for the unit to improve as well.

Just relax big fella. It's never as bad as we think it is.

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
I can’t say he’s wrong without using blind optimism of unproven players.

We also hired a coach with a track record for getting a lot out of a roster that looks pretty bleh on paper though

Last edited:

Cornicator

Cornerback
Insider
Game 1 players by snap last year. Considering the guys still here are a year more experienced, I guess I certainly don't see how this is any better than what we are likely to see this August 31. It looks worse to me.

View attachment 24743
View attachment 24744

Not sure I understand those numbers... Is that supposed to show total snaps played going into the 2022 season? Or is that snap number reflect what they had after the Northwestern game?

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG

This is just a wild-assed take he doesn't support. My guess is that if he actually had tried to support it by refreshing his memory as to who played early in the season the last 6 or 7 years by looking at who played in the beginning of the season, certainly since Riley, he wouldn't have said it. We've only had two guys drafted higher than the 6th round since 2016. We've only won 16 conference games since 2016.

Last edited:

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Not sure I understand those numbers... Is that supposed to show total snaps played going into the 2022 season? Or is that snap number reflect what they had after the Northwestern game?
It is just to show who played in game 1. I am trying to make sense of an assertion he is making in July. You try to do that by comparing it to other views from July. Otherwise you always underweight the current roster because you don't take into account the players who may emerge over the course of the season when measuring the current year's team.

Last edited:

ShortSideOption

Linebacker
Insider
It is just to show who played in game 1. I am trying to make sense of an assertion he is making in July. You try to do that by comparing it to other views from July. Otherwise you always underweight the current roster because you don't take into account the players who may emerge over the course of the season when measure the current year's team.
But is those “TOT” numbers their rating or something? Can’t be snaps.

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
of course, this is the problem every July when looking at the current year's team, right?

Yeah for sure, and when you’re going on multiple decades of shitty coaches - it’s hard to blame people for saying “well this teams going to suck because we don’t have a roster full of players that have already been good”.

I’m holding out hope that we finally have a coaching staff that overachieves with their roster - we’re due.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds