Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

McKewon: 2023 NU FB has one of weakest rosters I've seen at Nebraska (2 Viewers)

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
So I’m betting the under for our season record, but if we go over, great!

tenor.gif

2010sarenevercoming

5 Star Punter
Elite Member
For those who used to frequent Taterville, Sam McKewon used to post under this handle, he also apparently moved to the new Tater site. Made an interesting comment today.

Kind of surprised how harsh he is on the current roster. It's a paper thin roster so I'll give him that. Also a lot of unknowns like Sims, Fidone, Sherman, Betts, Gilbert, etc. Definitely makes you want to hammer the UNDER on 6.0 wins in Vegas.

View attachment 24742
sad panda GIF by South Park

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
I can see both sides of the argument.

QB Sims looks like Lamar Jackson, but plays like trash at GA Tech. Then you have the band of misfit toys behind him. So, if anything happens to Sims you have Chubba or Haarberg in there.
RB I think is a bunch of solid guys, but I don't see a good or great guy in there.
WR I feel better about. Sounds like Betts is dialed in, but I need to see it. Regardless, Kemp and Washington should be solid.
TE I like. I think Bork is a good option that keeps getting overlooked. Fidone has to stay healthy. If he is healthy he is a game changer for this offense.
OL I don't feel as bad about this group as most. I don't think they will be good(top 1/3rd of the B1G), but I can see them being a middle of the road in the B1G unit. I think scheme will help them along with the added coaching emphasis there.
DL interior should be fine. I don't think they have the body types that White wants. I think he wants guys who can be more athletic. Maybe Ty can be that if he lost 20lbs. Nash has had problems playing at 45's. He is mainly a N/S guy.
Edge you need to see a guy like Butler, Blaise, etc... take the next step.
LB I worry about athleticism and depth here. I think they want LBs who can run better than say Nick. Luke is guy you can rely on, but health has always been a question.
DB is the strongest group on the team. Should have 2 solid CBs, Gifford is a guy I am curious how they use him in this defense, Safety will probably have some shake up from last year, but you have options here.
Kicker should be solid. Bleekrode was good down the stretch, but sounds like he has had the yips in spring ball. Regardless, you have a young Justin Tucker in Alvano coming in. Punter, you have an NFL guy there in Buschini. That coupled with Ed who has been a very good Special teams coach historically.

Then you have areas of this team that the analytics love QB, OL, DB and K/P.

So 15-0 probably....

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I can see both sides of the argument.

QB Sims looks like Lamar Jackson, but plays like trash at GA Tech. Then you have the band of misfit toys behind him. So, if anything happens to Sims you have Chubba or Haarberg in there.
RB I think is a bunch of solid guys, but I don't see a good or great guy in there.
WR I feel better about. Sounds like Betts is dialed in, but I need to see it. Regardless, Kemp and Washington should be solid.
TE I like. I think Bork is a good option that keeps getting overlooked. Fidone has to stay healthy. If he is healthy he is a game changer for this offense.
OL I don't feel as bad about this group as most. I don't think they will be good(top 1/3rd of the B1G), but I can see them being a middle of the road in the B1G unit. I think scheme will help them along with the added coaching emphasis there.
DL interior should be fine. I don't think they have the body types that White wants. I think he wants guys who can be more athletic. Maybe Ty can be that if he lost 20lbs. Nash has had problems playing at 45's. He is mainly a N/S guy.
Edge you need to see a guy like Butler, Blaise, etc... take the next step.
LB I worry about athleticism and depth here. I think they want LBs who can run better than say Nick. Luke is guy you can rely on, but health has always been a question.
DB is the strongest group on the team. Should have 2 solid CBs, Gifford is a guy I am curious how they use him in this defense, Safety will probably have some shake up from last year, but you have options here.
Kicker should be solid. Bleekrode was good down the stretch, but sounds like he has had the yips in spring ball. Regardless, you have a young Justin Tucker in Alvano coming in. Punter, you have an NFL guy there in Buschini. That coupled with Ed who has been a very good Special teams coach historically.

Then you have areas of this team that the analytics love QB, OL, DB and K/P.

So 15-0 probably....
Boy sounds like shades of 2018 to me there

doublewing

Running Back
Boy sounds like shades of 2018 to me there
I even think Riley's leftovers for Frost were stronger than this. The OL was decent and players like Morgan, Spielman, Ozigbo, Dedric Young, the Davis DL bros, etc, were all good B1G players to fill out a roster.

If the majority of our transfers and young players hit it could change the outlook but history tells you they'll be hit and miss.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
I even think Riley's leftovers for Frost were stronger than this. The OL was decent and players like Morgan, Spielman, Ozigbo, Dedric Young, the Davis DL bros, etc, were all good B1G players to fill out a roster.

If the majority of our transfers and young players hit it could change the outlook but history tells you they'll be hit and miss.
In areas... I would also say that Bo left more than Riley. You can tell because 2019 when essentially all of Bo's guys were gone was Frost's least talented team.

Also, Young wasn't a good player when he wasn't playing behind 2 NFL DTs. Remember that MN game where they targeted him because they felt like he was a weak link? Great guy, leader, but bad player.

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
- Jeff Sins will be the worst day one starting QB of the last 20 years.

- linebackers need career back ups like Sherman and Borders to even reach below average status. Bullock is a nice story, but he's going to start next to Reimer. 2 best linebackers are former walk ons.

- Two true Freshmen are needed to start on the defensive line. I like Prince, but he's going to get killed vs. Minnesota.

- Interior DLine has game experience, but they've never stopped the run before.

- Nate Boerkicher is your starting TE.

- Gabe Irvin is incredibly overrated

- And the offensive line is one of the worst units in the Power 5.

Btw, Gilbert isn't going to get his waiver. The NCAA has set a pretty strict precedent so far this Summer about denying waivers for two time transfers.

I think the Panda isn't too far off in this assessment.
Translation:

1. Sims all conference
2. linebackers ok
3. talented d-line freshman
4. interior d-line ok
5. fidone starting TE
6. Ervin solid, Grant solid
7. offensive line is good but not great

8 wins minimum

theDankness

Linebacker
Elite Member
- Jeff Sins will be the worst day one starting QB of the last 20 years.

- linebackers need career back ups like Sherman and Borders to even reach below average status. Bullock is a nice story, but he's going to start next to Reimer. 2 best linebackers are former walk ons.

- Two true Freshmen are needed to start on the defensive line. I like Prince, but he's going to get killed vs. Minnesota.

- Interior DLine has game experience, but they've never stopped the run before.

- Nate Boerkicher is your starting TE.

- Gabe Irvin is incredibly overrated

- And the offensive line is one of the worst units in the Power 5.

Btw, Gilbert isn't going to get his waiver. The NCAA has set a pretty strict precedent so far this Summer about denying waivers for two time transfers.

I think the Panda isn't too far off in this assessment.

based off the last 5 years of your analysis, I guess we should all smash the season w/l overs

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
of course, this is the problem every July when looking at the current year's team, right?
Exactly. This is the problem with saying it in July.

If I assess all rosters from 2000-2022....i already KNOW what they were. Each of those roster had guys who surprised on the positive side and guys who surprised on the negative side. So you have the benefit of knowing that now when you compare those with this year's roster.

But this year's roster probably has 20 guys where you could get something great out of them or they could be flops. Fidone, Gilbert, Sims, Teddy, Betts, Sherman, Borders, even some of the Frost guys like Ty Robinson, etc you don't really know what you have because he famously didn't get the best put of a lot of the team.

So if you say it's the weakest, you're saying that you're going 0-20 on those unknown players, which isn't true.

So Panda may end up being right, I would just say that it's incomplete now. It could end up being the worst roster in 20 yrs. My guess though is we're going to find some guys that were way underutilized in the Frost era (Bullock?) and I think some of those 20 unknowns will hit. So I got no problem with him saying that, I wouldn't say it now though bc it's got a ton of variability to it and you literally don't know what you have with about 25% of the roster. That's too many unknowns for me to make a definitive statement about it.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds