Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Maryland Game Week (2 Viewers)

vailhusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
How is Maryland passing in the wind?

View attachment 29546
Plotting The Simpsons GIF

Huskerforlife

Head Coach
Elite Member
for us poors are you able to relay the article? 🙏
im poor help me GIF
I assume you have an iphone? Click the link to The Athletic and immediately select at the upper left corner "show reader". Article shows up perfectly. You can do this for all subscription sites. Here's the article:

Elliott Brown: Nebraska walk-on wide receiver traded his helmet for a headset​

Mitch Sherman
Elliott Brown: Nebraska walk-on wide receiver traded his helmet for a headset

LINCOLN, Neb. — When Nebraska finished nonconference play in September, wide receivers coach Garret McGuire moved his base of operation to the press box. He wanted to see the game from above and diagnose coverages to help create opportunities for the Huskers on offense.

But McGuire left a void on the sideline. The Nebraska wide receivers, increasingly youthful as injuries thinned the group, needed to hear a voice. They needed someone to direct their movements.

Coach Matt Rhule and offensive coordinator Marcus Satterfield sought McGuire’s input. Who could do it?

“Elliott,” McGuire said. “He can do everything.”

Enter Elliott Brown, a fourth-year walk-on wide receiver out of Elkhorn South, former high school quarterback and social-media influencer. Brown, the son of a two-time national-champion wide receiver for the Huskers, is a purveyor of positivity and an illustration of the good that Nebraska football can do in this state.

During the past five games, he has traded his helmet for a headset. Brown relays messages on the field from McGuire to the young receivers and stays on top of their assignments while signaling play calls to the offensive huddle.

“We couldn’t do it without him,” freshman receiver Malachi Coleman said.

After the Huskers beat Purdue on Oct. 28, Brown’s fourth game in this role, Rhule described him as a “cheat code.”

“It’s like we have another coach,” Rhule said.

Satterfield initially questioned if the move could work. Rarely had he met a wide receiver who could thrive in that role, let alone someone who would want to do it. But three weeks after McGuire moved to the press box, Satterfield joined him upstairs, comfortable with the sideline operation.

“Elliott is like Pete Rose; he’s a player-coach,” Satterfield said.

“In the meeting room and in practice and in his preparation, in football conversations, you can tell he’s a very high-football-IQ kid that cares a lot about not only the team but this university. Whatever his role would be, he’s going to do it and do it at a high level.”

Thursday, Brown will undergo knee surgery. Last week at practice, he suffered a torn ACL in a non-contact drill. Indicative of his value, Brown filled a travel-roster position at Michigan State — after the injury occurred — so he could continue to help with the receivers.

He will miss Saturday at Memorial Stadium as Maryland visits and probably won’t be ready to travel next week to Wisconsin. McGuire said he’ll stay in the press box and find a replacement for Brown. But Brown plans to reclaim the headset before the end of this season.

From the time he learned at a young age that his dad, Lance Brown, played on the 1995 championship team at Nebraska and started 12 games at wingback in 1997, Elliott dreamed of following the path to Lincoln.

He played in one game in 2021 and two this season before the injury.

“I’ve always tried to be a leader, no matter what’s going on,” Brown said. “So now, to be in a role where I can have influence — I still want to play, I still want to get on special teams — but to be able to add value to a game, to help guys learn, it means a lot to me.”

Brown counts more than 180,000 followers on TikTok and 30,000 on Instagram, built largely on his videos and clips more apt to capture the attention of teenage girls than sports-minded Nebraskans.

“If you look at social media and what I was doing,” he said, “you get a preconceived notion.”

His entry into the locker room three years ago raised eyebrows, Brown said.

“Some teammates didn’t receive me as well as others,” he said. “It was pretty much what you’d expect to see, like, ‘Who is this kid and what is he doing?’ I was ready for it. I just kept my head down and knew once they got to see me and see who I was, that’s not really what I’m about.”

Brown was serious about football. He studied film and invested extra time. McGuire heard a story after his arrival this year of how Brown, when he missed the 105-man roster cut for preseason camp early in his career, watched August practices as a spectator just to stay close to the game.

Sunday, after the Huskers returned from Michigan State, Brown talked with McGuire about delaying the knee surgery this week so that could finish this season in a coaching role.

“That was unbelievable,” McGuire said. “It tells you how good of a teammate he is, that he would put his own health ahead of the team. And it shows you what we’re trying to build. Coach Rhule talks about a brotherhood here. That moment says something about Elliott’s willingness to sacrifice for his brothers.”

Rhule nixed the idea.

“He said he would never put anything in front of a player’s health,” Brown said.

Brown appreciated Rhule for his care.

From this first-year coaching staff, Brown said he’s added to his knowledge of the value of work gained from an upbringing around sports. Lance Brown coached Elliott in football and baseball until he got to high school. They spent time often around former Nebraska teammates of Elliott’s dad.

“Watching film was natural for him as a 10-year-old,” Lance Brown said.

The elder Brown said he heard from a current Nebraska player that Elliott “talks and acts just like these coaches.”

“He thrives in the grind,” Lance Brown said. “He loves the summer workouts. So I knew he would jell with them.”

McGuire noticed.

“I just saw a guy who knew all three (receiver) spots,” the coach said, “very attentive in meetings, someone who can verbalize everything exactly the way we saw it here, which is pretty impressive. And then as a person, he’s a natural leader. He wants to lead, which I think a lot of times is the first obstacle.”

Safe to say, the social-media persona in Brown has been set aside. He hasn’t posted on his YouTube channel in almost a year. Brown said he’d like to revive the online content — but that he won’t let it interfere with football.

Lance Brown has long told his kids to do as he says, not as he did.

Elliott’s sister, EJ, a junior at Elkhorn South, won the Class A long jump crown in Nebraska in the spring with a 5-foot-9 clearance. She’s the top athlete in the family, Elliott said.

Lance Brown, a scholarship recruit out of Papillion-La Vista in 1993, played football with a flamboyant style. If social media existed 30 years ago, father and son agreed, things would not have gone well for Lance.

Lance and Elliott share extroverted personalities and a desire to express themselves. Elliott has taken advantage of his place at Nebraska to use it for good.

“I didn’t know my role,” Lance said. “Now as a parent, I can guide him. He understands that being a football player, playing on Saturday is just a sliver of being part of the Huskers. You can influence people. You can touch people’s lives.”

In football, it remains Elliott’s goal to play. With two years of remaining eligibility, he’s set to graduate in May.

He is majoring in business management and had planned, after college, to go into business like his father. Lance urged Elliott to show patience with his career decisions.

His recent experience on the headset has opened Elliott’s eyes. Without juggling the responsibilities of a student-athlete, he might try to give coaching a shot for longer than this two-month stint.

“It’s been really rewarding,” he said, “to know that they can trust me.”

Brown rates as one of the most active Huskers in the community. He has toured elementary schools to spread his message and volunteered for numerous activities under the direction of the football program.

“I want to leave here with a legacy,” Brown said. “Maybe not as much on the football field, but I want to leave with a legacy of knowing I impacted as many people as possible with my positivity, my faith, letting people know that others are for them, that their mental health matters.

“I want to be known for what I’ve done outside of football.”

(Photo of Elliott Brown with his parents, Sara and Lance Brown, courtesy of the Brown family)

Last edited:

RedSavage

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
I assume you have an iphone? Click the link to The Athletic and immediately select at the upper left corner "show reader". Article shows up perfectly. You can do this for all subscription sites. Here's the article:

Elliott Brown: Nebraska walk-on wide receiver traded his helmet for a headset​

Mitch Sherman
Elliott Brown: Nebraska walk-on wide receiver traded his helmet for a headset

LINCOLN, Neb. — When Nebraska finished nonconference play in September, wide receivers coach Garret McGuire moved his base of operation to the press box. He wanted to see the game from above and diagnose coverages to help create opportunities for the Huskers on offense.

But McGuire left a void on the sideline. The Nebraska wide receivers, increasingly youthful as injuries thinned the group, needed to hear a voice. They needed someone to direct their movements.

Coach Matt Rhule and offensive coordinator Marcus Satterfield sought McGuire’s input. Who could do it?

“Elliott,” McGuire said. “He can do everything.”

Enter Elliott Brown, a fourth-year walk-on wide receiver out of Elkhorn South, former high school quarterback and social-media influencer. Brown, the son of a two-time national-champion wide receiver for the Huskers, is a purveyor of positivity and an illustration of the good that Nebraska football can do in this state.

During the past five games, he has traded his helmet for a headset. Brown relays messages on the field from McGuire to the young receivers and stays on top of their assignments while signaling play calls to the offensive huddle.

“We couldn’t do it without him,” freshman receiver Malachi Coleman said.

After the Huskers beat Purdue on Oct. 28, Brown’s fourth game in this role, Rhule described him as a “cheat code.”

“It’s like we have another coach,” Rhule said.

Satterfield initially questioned if the move could work. Rarely had he met a wide receiver who could thrive in that role, let alone someone who would want to do it. But three weeks after McGuire moved to the press box, Satterfield joined him upstairs, comfortable with the sideline operation.

“Elliott is like Pete Rose; he’s a player-coach,” Satterfield said.

“In the meeting room and in practice and in his preparation, in football conversations, you can tell he’s a very high-football-IQ kid that cares a lot about not only the team but this university. Whatever his role would be, he’s going to do it and do it at a high level.”

Thursday, Brown will undergo knee surgery. Last week at practice, he suffered a torn ACL in a non-contact drill. Indicative of his value, Brown filled a travel-roster position at Michigan State — after the injury occurred — so he could continue to help with the receivers.

He will miss Saturday at Memorial Stadium as Maryland visits and probably won’t be ready to travel next week to Wisconsin. McGuire said he’ll stay in the press box and find a replacement for Brown. But Brown plans to reclaim the headset before the end of this season.

From the time he learned at a young age that his dad, Lance Brown, played on the 1995 championship team at Nebraska and started 12 games at wingback in 1997, Elliott dreamed of following the path to Lincoln.

He played in one game in 2021 and two this season before the injury.

“I’ve always tried to be a leader, no matter what’s going on,” Brown said. “So now, to be in a role where I can have influence — I still want to play, I still want to get on special teams — but to be able to add value to a game, to help guys learn, it means a lot to me.”

Brown counts more than 180,000 followers on TikTok and 30,000 on Instagram, built largely on his videos and clips more apt to capture the attention of teenage girls than sports-minded Nebraskans.

“If you look at social media and what I was doing,” he said, “you get a preconceived notion.”

His entry into the locker room three years ago raised eyebrows, Brown said.

“Some teammates didn’t receive me as well as others,” he said. “It was pretty much what you’d expect to see, like, ‘Who is this kid and what is he doing?’ I was ready for it. I just kept my head down and knew once they got to see me and see who I was, that’s not really what I’m about.”

Brown was serious about football. He studied film and invested extra time. McGuire heard a story after his arrival this year of how Brown, when he missed the 105-man roster cut for preseason camp early in his career, watched August practices as a spectator just to stay close to the game.

Sunday, after the Huskers returned from Michigan State, Brown talked with McGuire about delaying the knee surgery this week so that could finish this season in a coaching role.

“That was unbelievable,” McGuire said. “It tells you how good of a teammate he is, that he would put his own health ahead of the team. And it shows you what we’re trying to build. Coach Rhule talks about a brotherhood here. That moment says something about Elliott’s willingness to sacrifice for his brothers.”

Rhule nixed the idea.

“He said he would never put anything in front of a player’s health,” Brown said.

Brown appreciated Rhule for his care.

From this first-year coaching staff, Brown said he’s added to his knowledge of the value of work gained from an upbringing around sports. Lance Brown coached Elliott in football and baseball until he got to high school. They spent time often around former Nebraska teammates of Elliott’s dad.

“Watching film was natural for him as a 10-year-old,” Lance Brown said.

The elder Brown said he heard from a current Nebraska player that Elliott “talks and acts just like these coaches.”

“He thrives in the grind,” Lance Brown said. “He loves the summer workouts. So I knew he would jell with them.”

McGuire noticed.

“I just saw a guy who knew all three (receiver) spots,” the coach said, “very attentive in meetings, someone who can verbalize everything exactly the way we saw it here, which is pretty impressive. And then as a person, he’s a natural leader. He wants to lead, which I think a lot of times is the first obstacle.”

Safe to say, the social-media persona in Brown has been set aside. He hasn’t posted on his YouTube channel in almost a year. Brown said he’d like to revive the online content — but that he won’t let it interfere with football.

Lance Brown has long told his kids to do as he says, not as he did.

Elliott’s sister, EJ, a junior at Elkhorn South, won the Class A long jump crown in Nebraska in the spring with a 5-foot-9 clearance. She’s the top athlete in the family, Elliott said.

Lance Brown, a scholarship recruit out of Papillion-La Vista in 1993, played football with a flamboyant style. If social media existed 30 years ago, father and son agreed, things would not have gone well for Lance.

Lance and Elliott share extroverted personalities and a desire to express themselves. Elliott has taken advantage of his place at Nebraska to use it for good.

“I didn’t know my role,” Lance said. “Now as a parent, I can guide him. He understands that being a football player, playing on Saturday is just a sliver of being part of the Huskers. You can influence people. You can touch people’s lives.”

In football, it remains Elliott’s goal to play. With two years of remaining eligibility, he’s set to graduate in May.

He is majoring in business management and had planned, after college, to go into business like his father. Lance urged Elliott to show patience with his career decisions.

His recent experience on the headset has opened Elliott’s eyes. Without juggling the responsibilities of a student-athlete, he might try to give coaching a shot for longer than this two-month stint.

“It’s been really rewarding,” he said, “to know that they can trust me.”

Brown rates as one of the most active Huskers in the community. He has toured elementary schools to spread his message and volunteered for numerous activities under the direction of the football program.

“I want to leave here with a legacy,” Brown said. “Maybe not as much on the football field, but I want to leave with a legacy of knowing I impacted as many people as possible with my positivity, my faith, letting people know that others are for them, that their mental health matters.

“I want to be known for what I’ve done outside of football.”

(Photo of Elliott Brown with his parents, Sara and Lance Brown, courtesy of the Brown family)
Lance does send off the gaydar a bit with that picture but wth is a flamboyant style of football

Frogsker30

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Sounds like a potential future grad assistant. Good for him for making lemonade out of lemons
Not saying he'll be as successful but he kinda reminds me of Mike McDaniels. Mike never played a down in college but super high IQ for the game.
I know the brown family a little bit and Elliot is pretty smart and honestly a good person. In HS the day before every game he would visit this little girl at children's hospital. A part of her physical therapy was painting his nails he took it like a champ

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds