Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

From the RSS Chat Today... (4 Viewers)

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
That's not answering the question I asked you.

You're pulling the 40 million dollar number from where? I'm not sure how you're getting there.

Plus, I did say earlier it doesn't have to be Matt Campbell money...which I assume is where the 40 million dollar number is coming from. Also...it isn't like they are paying $40 million (or whatever number it is) upfront.

There were 17 Division 1 head coaching changes in that covid year during a shortfall as well. Granted a few were reactionary. Examples would be UCF, their coach leaves and they have to make a hire. Or Boise State has to make a hire because their coach leaves for Auburn.

Here was my math…

5 years left with Frost @ 5 million per year
=
25 million

Add his assistant salaries that would be bought out like they were for Bo and Riley, let’s call it 2 million as assistants are generally 2 years but let’s assume they’re just one year.

That gets us to 27 million

Add what I believed would be Campbell’s buyout at 12 million (figure from his old contract).

That gets us to 39 million, call it 40 million.

Where I made a mistake is that Campbell received an extension in April reducing the buyout to 4 million.

All that said, you’re still looking at 32 million dollars before you even negotiate an annual salary for a head coach and what he would command for an assistant pool.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
He wasn't my first choice. I wanted them to go after:
1. Chris Peterson
2. Dan Mullen
3. Scott Frost

I was very excited we got Frost but quickly became very concerned after his first press conference. I've done years of Business Consulting including taking over businesses that were struggling or working with new owners/managers. His Press Conference speech made me cringe as he hit on so many things we tell leaders not to do if they want to build unity in transition. I know he was playing to the Nebraska Fans who were excited but the way he worded things did not come across as inviting at all to returning players. I immediately thought it would create a bit of a division on the team between returning players and incoming players, plus put the thoughts of transferring in many of the returning players heads. This became even a bigger issue when he quickly vaulted his new recruits like Greg Bell to the Top of the Depth Chart over proven returning players like Devine Izigbo who then dropped down to start the season out as 3rd String. Also was concerned about his inexperienced staff as the B1G is not somewhere for Asst Coaches to learn on the job. I really hope Frost proves me wrong this year and I would love to eat some crow but so far I have yet to see anything that leads me to believe that he is a Natural Leader or that he has the openness to make the necessary changes to grow as a Leader. Humility is not necessarily a sign of weakness. Most great leaders pull together and motivate while learning from their mistakes plus also not being afraid to admit when they are wrong.
There isn't much I can argue with there. At least from things I've read on this board and RSS, it does seem that Frost has needed some humbling given he thought his shit didn't stink from day 1 after what he's done so far. I think that's perfectly fine honestly. Let's call it what it is, he's won at every step of his life, besides Stanford, and some people need a little humbling sometimes. It seems he's gotten that.

As far as players go, I mean if we're being honest some of the guys that transferred out weren't cut out for Power 5. Shit, some of the guys still on the roster probably aren't. Some Frost guys, some Riley guys. And even the guys that have started the last few years, still haven't been good enough in some positions. I understand what you're saying that Frost needed to make them feel welcome from Day 1, but I'm just not worried about their feelings getting hurt if they didn't feel welcome. This is big boy football. I'd personally rather be told I'm not good enough early on than be lied to. I guess that's one of the reasons I like Frost. Honest and transparency even if it isn't popular.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
LOL. Riley said the exact same thing in 2017. Nebraska football will exist and be supported long after Scott Frost. You know what really gets people excited? WINNING. Who ever heard of Ryan Day before he was hired to be the OC. and then HC, at Ohio State? He was a not a "name" like Urban, and had no connection to tOSU. But he's winning at a rate even better than Urban and he's recruiting out of his mind. Point being: The best coach for Nebraska Football is the one that wins...native son or not.
Only thing I'll say is that Ryan Day was given a hell of a situation at tOSU. He just has to keep it going, which he's doing a great job of doing. Basically Tom to Frank except Ryan will probably turn out to be better than Frank ever was. Other than that, fantastic point.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Yeah, I've seen that. I think they're lying. He was the ideal candidate at that time.
I think some have a genuine dislike for the guy and that's their only legit reason. Which, ya know, okay. I don't like Mack Brown so I guess I'd be pretty negative about him too.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I agree with this
I know there are rumors going around that “ultimatums were given this yr”, but I believe those are toothless & just saying what everyone knows, we have to start winning. Not even win big just get to .500 & get to a bowl.
Leadership & boosters want it to work with Frost, I don’t think anyone has a real plan if the losing streak continues this year.
3-0 to start is a must & it’s going to lift a lot of pressure. I’d love to see what we can do if every season didnt start with some kind of drama.
What kind of "ultimatums"?

MtnHusker

Legend
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
There isn't much I can argue with there. At least from things I've read on this board and RSS, it does seem that Frost has needed some humbling given he thought his shit didn't stink from day 1 after what he's done so far. I think that's perfectly fine honestly. Let's call it what it is, he's won at every step of his life, besides Stanford, and some people need a little humbling sometimes. It seems he's gotten that.

As far as players go, I mean if we're being honest some of the guys that transferred out weren't cut out for Power 5. Shit, some of the guys still on the roster probably aren't. Some Frost guys, some Riley guys. And even the guys that have started the last few years, still haven't been good enough in some positions. I understand what you're saying that Frost needed to make them feel welcome from Day 1, but I'm just not worried about their feelings getting hurt if they didn't feel welcome. This is big boy football. I'd personally rather be told I'm not good enough early on than be lied to. I guess that's one of the reasons I like Frost. Honest and transparency even if it isn't popular.
There is a difference between "Creating Division" and "Big Boy Football". If I am working with a company or manager that is taking over a struggling business the first step is to make all of the current employees feel needed and wanted. Then you lay down the basic guidelines and rules that will be in place. You need those employees to "Buy In" even if you know that you will be potentially getting rid of them in the near future. Terrible move to come in and immediately say we need to start recruiting players who are harder workers, who love football, who aren't lazy....... because basically you are saying the players you are inheriting aren't good enough. Yet the year before those same players had us ranked in the Top 10 and undefeated until we lost in overtime to an undefeated Wisconsin team.

Not saying Riley was the answer but also not saying that his results weren't superior to Frost's so far. We sure could use Wandale Robinson, Avery Roberts, Tyjon Lyndsey, Tristan Gebbia, Keyshawn Greene, Marcus Fleming, Luke McCaffrey, Jaiden Francois,..... from a talent standpoint and even if they didn't start they would offer depth. We have lost so many talented players under Frost, some were Riley recruits but Frost has lost a majority of his highly rated recruits. Something is not right as we have one of the highest if not highest roster turnover numbers in college football. That tells me something is potentially wrong. Players don't leave programs that they are happy with. We didn't have nearly this many transfers under Callahan, Pelini or Riley, not even close.

The definition of Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. My question is have we changed enough or are we just doing things the same way after 3 years? What are the results telling us?

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
There is a difference between "Creating Division" and "Big Boy Football". If I am working with a company or manager that is taking over a struggling business the first step is to make all of the current employees feel needed and wanted. Then you lay down the basic guidelines and rules that will be in place. You need those employees to "Buy In" even if you know that you will be potentially getting rid of them in the near future. Terrible move to come in and immediately say we need to start recruiting players who are harder workers, who love football, who aren't lazy....... because basically you are saying the players you are inheriting aren't good enough. Yet the year before those same players had us ranked in the Top 10 and undefeated until we lost in overtime to an undefeated Wisconsin team.

Not saying Riley was the answer but also not saying that his results weren't superior to Frost's so far. We sure could use Wandale Robinson, Avery Roberts, Tyjon Lyndsey, Tristan Gebbia, Keyshawn Greene, Marcus Fleming, Luke McCaffrey, Jaiden Francois,..... from a talent standpoint and even if they didn't start they would offer depth. We have lost so many talented players under Frost, some were Riley recruits but Frost has lost a majority of his highly rated recruits. Something is not right as we have one of the highest if not highest roster turnover numbers in college football. That tells me something is potentially wrong. Players don't leave programs that they are happy with. We didn't have nearly this many transfers under Callahan, Pelini or Riley, not even close.

The definition of Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. My question is have we changed enough or are we just doing things the same way after 3 years? What are the results telling us?
So on the topic of player transfers, here's my opinion and feel free to correct me where you feel I'm wrong.....

I think Frost is 75% stuck in the mindset of the 90s Nebraska blueprint when it comes to players specifically. I'm a big fan of the blue print so I do like where that plan is at. But those traits all line up with that, hard ass workers, love football, not lazy, things like that. I would add hard asses in there too. Now in saying that, I think that formula pertains to a specific kind of a kid. More a of a Midwestern/Southern, blue collar, not super hyped up recruit. Not every time, but more often than not. And I think Frost is stuck with that because that worked when he was playing obviously, and because that was our most successful time period and those were the kinds of kids that played here during that time. No flash, all grit. Didn't care about attention, just wanted to win. I feel like that blue print still works, but then you run the line in the sand of "do you recruit simply 3-4 star kids and bank on development, but you know won't just quit when the going gets tough?" or "do you recruit studs who have bounced around their whole life but are better athletically but have a tendency to quit?". Me? I'm going option A there.

And at the end of the day I think what we've learned is that some of those kids simply don't fit that mold. And truthfully, this is more psychology based, but I'm not sure you can really find that out until things aren't going a kids' way, and determine what they're really made of.

Transferring wasn't big in Callahan's days so I'm assuming that's why we didn't see it. Transferring still wasn't as big during the Pelini era, so that certainly helped. Riley we all know was just a pushover so players like to be able to do what they want.

This will sound weird but I almost feel like if the order went T.O. Solich and then Frost, these player turnovers problems wouldn't be happening because A. foundation is already built and those types of players are already in the building, B. the same program blueprint probably remains the same since Frost wouldn't have been able to absorb the spread yet, and C. kids were just different 15-18 years ago. Just didn't quit as easy as they do now.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
kids were just different 15-18 years ago. Just didn't quit as easy as they do now.
I don't want to make this strictly a "generational" argument. My $0.02 worth here is that the rules are so much different now that it facilitates the wide, wide world of sports we're seeing now relative to the high number of transfers. The "sit out a year" stick has been removed, and with that disincentive removed the shackles are off and kids are going to transfer like crazy for two primary reasons:

1) They think they've got a better shot a playing time somewhere "new" (even if "new" is not a lateral transfer in terms of school, conference or division), and
2) The coaches have provided direct feedback to the player regarding their future within the existing program and they're no-so-subtly being asked to "move along"

Signed

A Boomer

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I don't want to make this strictly a "generational" argument. My $0.02 worth here is that the rules are so much different now that it facilitates the wide, wide world of sports we're seeing now relative to the high number of transfers. The "sit out a year" stick has been removed, and with that disincentive removed the shackles are off and kids are going to transfer like crazy for two primary reasons:

1) They think they've got a better shot a playing time somewhere "new" (even if "new" is not a lateral transfer in terms of school, conference or division), and
2) The coaches have provided direct feedback to the player regarding their future within the existing program and they're no-so-subtly being asked to "move along"

Signed

A Boomer
Yeah, I agree with both. I'll say another layer is societal and not having to deal with consequences of making decisions. The fact that the NCAA took away the punishment of having to sit down, essentially takes away any form of consequences for actions, which is a horrible life lesson down the road. No accountability.

Signed, I think a millennial with the mind of a Boomer

DuckSker

RedSeaFarts=Sandalwood
Elite Member
LOL. Riley said the exact same thing in 2017. Nebraska football will exist and be supported long after Scott Frost. You know what really gets people excited? WINNING. Who ever heard of Ryan Day before he was hired to be the OC. and then HC, at Ohio State? He was a not a "name" like Urban, and had no connection to tOSU. But he's winning at a rate even better than Urban and he's recruiting out of his mind. Point being: The best coach for Nebraska Football is the one that wins...native son or not.
Frosts year 3 team definitely passes the eye test compared to Rileys year 3. Dylan Utter 🤮 Our defense last year would have shut out Riley’s offense year 3

Chi7397

Cornerback
Elite Member
So on the topic of player transfers, here's my opinion and feel free to correct me where you feel I'm wrong.....

I think Frost is 75% stuck in the mindset of the 90s Nebraska blueprint when it comes to players specifically. I'm a big fan of the blue print so I do like where that plan is at. But those traits all line up with that, hard ass workers, love football, not lazy, things like that. I would add hard asses in there too. Now in saying that, I think that formula pertains to a specific kind of a kid. More a of a Midwestern/Southern, blue collar, not super hyped up recruit. Not every time, but more often than not. And I think Frost is stuck with that because that worked when he was playing obviously, and because that was our most successful time period and those were the kinds of kids that played here during that time. No flash, all grit. Didn't care about attention, just wanted to win. I feel like that blue print still works, but then you run the line in the sand of "do you recruit simply 3-4 star kids and bank on development, but you know won't just quit when the going gets tough?" or "do you recruit studs who have bounced around their whole life but are better athletically but have a tendency to quit?". Me? I'm going option A there.

And at the end of the day I think what we've learned is that some of those kids simply don't fit that mold. And truthfully, this is more psychology based, but I'm not sure you can really find that out until things aren't going a kids' way, and determine what they're really made of.

Transferring wasn't big in Callahan's days so I'm assuming that's why we didn't see it. Transferring still wasn't as big during the Pelini era, so that certainly helped. Riley we all know was just a pushover so players like to be able to do what they want.

This will sound weird but I almost feel like if the order went T.O. Solich and then Frost, these player turnovers problems wouldn't be happening because A. foundation is already built and those types of players are already in the building, B. the same program blueprint probably remains the same since Frost wouldn't have been able to absorb the spread yet, and C. kids were just different 15-18 years ago. Just didn't quit as easy as they do now.

I will never cease to be amazed at your ability to romanticize Frost and the 1990s Nebraska - especially since you said you effectively weren’t a fan for it yet.

You have bought way, way too hard into the myth of Frost and you’re not giving nearly enough attention to who he’s shown himself to be in 3 years thus far. Hopefully that changes, but it usually doesn’t.

MtnHusker

Legend
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG

Starting to wonder if you are Mrs Frost? Man you sure do go to extreme's to make excuses for him and our lack of success. If it wasn't for Kansas we would be the laughing stock of Power5 Football, and that all falls on the head coach. Winners find a way to win, Losers make excuses.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Starting to wonder if you are Mrs Frost? Man you sure do go to extreme's to make excuses for him and our lack of success. If it wasn't for Kansas we would be the laughing stock of Power5 Football, and that all falls on the head coach. Winners find a way to win, Losers make excuses.
lol nah not Mrs. Frost. But I think there could be an argument we're juuuuuuuuust above Rutgers who is probably in a tie with KU for that title. I agree whole heartedly with that last statement. I guess we'll see.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I will never cease to be amazed at your ability to romanticize Frost and the 1990s Nebraska - especially since you said you effectively weren’t a fan for it yet.

You have bought way, way too hard into the myth of Frost and you’re not giving nearly enough attention to who he’s shown himself to be in 3 years thus far. Hopefully that changes, but it usually doesn’t.
No reality has hit pretty hard over the last year or so. First dose was probably Purdue 2019 if I had to put a date on it. You could just call hope. What can I say I like a good comeback story.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds