Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

From the RSS Chat Today... (2 Viewers)

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
I can't wait for us to go at least 10-2 this year and head to the Big 10 CCG and then the Rose Bowl.

All of the Frost haters will crawl back into their holes

MtnHusker

Legend
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
lol nah not Mrs. Frost. But I think there could be an argument we're juuuuuuuuust above Rutgers who is probably in a tie with KU for that title. I agree whole heartedly with that last statement. I guess we'll see.
Maybe it is because of my business past but I have learned to take the emotion out of decisions like this. I have had to let go of lots of great people because they just weren't the right person for that position. Not everyone is made for every job. Would Solich, Callahan, Pelini or Riley still have jobs if they had 3 losing seasons with high roster attrition rates plus looking poorly coached in Year 3?

I love that Scott is a former star player who is a local boy and wants to keep the Nebraska Traditions. We are proud of our history and tradition. But I think we need to look past that as the bottom line is Wins/Losses plus is the team progressing. I honestly haven't seem improvement over the 3.5 years this staff has been in charge. Some players look like they have almost regressed at times like Adrian Martinez. Or why were coaches only spending 10-15 minutes per practice on Special Teams while our Special Teams Units were some of the worst in football thus costing us wins.

All I expect is for us to look like a well coached team that gets better every week. Well coached teams can help make up for a lack of talent. My Nebraska upbringing did not allow for any excuses as in my family we had to find a way to get it done. It bothers me when I read all of the message board fans making excuses for the coaches or blaming past coaches when in reality coaches are paid huge salaries to produce a good product on the field. I think Frost might be the highest paid State Employee in Nebraska.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Maybe it is because of my business past but I have learned to take the emotion out of decisions like this. I have had to let go of lots of great people because they just weren't the right person for that position. Not everyone is made for every job. Would Solich, Callahan, Pelini or Riley still have jobs if they had 3 losing seasons with high roster attrition rates plus looking poorly coached in Year 3?

I love that Scott is a former star player who is a local boy and wants to keep the Nebraska Traditions. We are proud of our history and tradition. But I think we need to look past that as the bottom line is Wins/Losses plus is the team progressing. I honestly haven't seem improvement over the 3.5 years this staff has been in charge. Some players look like they have almost regressed at times like Adrian Martinez. Or why were coaches only spending 10-15 minutes per practice on Special Teams while our Special Teams Units were some of the worst in football thus costing us wins.

All I expect is for us to look like a well coached team that gets better every week. Well coached teams can help make up for a lack of talent. My Nebraska upbringing did not allow for any excuses as in my family we had to find a way to get it done. It bothers me when I read all of the message board fans making excuses for the coaches or blaming past coaches when in reality coaches are paid huge salaries to produce a good product on the field. I think Frost might be the highest paid State Employee in Nebraska.

Given your business past, you are well aware that you’ve got to consider every relevant fact and circumstance before making a decision.

On top of that all, I’m certain before you hired these people you asked them what their plans and Go-To-Market strategies looked like and expectations were set accordingly.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member

I think Solich probably would have been the only one with the current leash assuming he's Scott's age and "Tom's old player". Let's call it what it is, only reason Frost hasn't been fired yet is because of his background here. Shouldn't be hard for anyone to acknowledge. No argument here man, I'm 100% in show me mode at this point and I hope it works out for the best for Scott here. But, W/L is the name of the game and we all know it.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
I think Solich probably would have been the only one with the current leash assuming he's Scott's age and "Tom's old player". Let's call it what it is, only reason Frost hasn't been fired yet is because of his background here. Shouldn't be hard for anyone to acknowledge. No argument here man, I'm 100% in show me mode at this point and I hope it works out for the best for Scott here. But, W/L is the name of the game and we all know it.

Id argue that the guy we hired in 2017 needed to have a longer leash. We can’t be in the business of firing coaches every 3 years.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Id argue that the guy we hired in 2017 needed to have a longer leash. We can’t be in the business of firing coaches every 3 years.
I guess looking at it from a non biased approach, I can understand why Eichorst did it. However, I don't think he should have been hired at all because I don't think Pelini should have been fired. Attitude aside, the guy won the majority of his football games and that's what it boils down to. I agree on not firing coaches. If I had it my way, Frost is here for a decade for either shit or the climb back to the top and that way you know for sure. Some will make that argument for Riley and stability but I don't think he should have ever been hired in the first place so I don't argue that.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
I guess looking at it from a non biased approach, I can understand why Eichorst did it. However, I don't think he should have been hired at all because I don't think Pelini should have been fired. Attitude aside, the guy won the majority of his football games and that's what it boils down to. I agree on not firing coaches. If I had it my way, Frost is here for a decade for either shit or the climb back to the top and that way you know for sure. Some will make that argument for Riley and stability but I don't think he should have ever been hired in the first place so I don't argue that.

I can see the arguments for firing Bo. I don’t see the arguments for firing Solich. I can honestly be convinced Callahan needed more time. I see the arguments for firing Eichorst and Riley although I was not on board with firing Riley until about Halloween that year.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I can see the arguments for firing Bo. I don’t see the arguments for firing Solich. I can honestly be convinced Callahan needed more time. I see the arguments for firing Eichorst and Riley although I was not on board with firing Riley until about Halloween that year.
Quite frankly I remember watching the first half of that Oregon game in 2017 and watching Oregon do literally whatever they wanted and I was mentally done with Riley at that point. I got married the next week on the same day we lost to Northern Illinois and I was disgusted by Riley and his program. But, Minnesota was probably the nail in the coffin for me that year, realistically. I was mad the whole year but what Minnesota did really just made me embarrassed. I was actually rooting for us to lose to Purdue so that it could be even more sure that Riley would be gone. Plus, by that time the wind was starting to blow with the Frost rumors and I was hoping for that as well.

I'm sure Tom just did it out of spite and I was too young to honestly care but I can see the arguments for keeping Callahan at the time as well. Not a fan of him long term though.

vailhusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Its not going to get any easier for Frost and Co when in the next few weeks the top four players in Nebraska are announcing their commitments and they are not for Nebraska. What is worse is Nebraska isn't even in those players top few teams.

Devon Jackson is down to ASU and Miami with CBs to ASU, Deshawn Woods is down to ASU, Missouri, and LSU with CBs to ASU. Kaden Helms is also considering ASU and has talked about announcing in early July too, but he has CBs to Oklahoma and it sound like his recent visit there went very well with OU writers expecting a commitment soon. Also Micah Riley-Ducker announcing on July 7th between Cockeyes, Illinois, Cockeyes State, Auburn and Missouri, CBs to Cockeyes, visting Cockeyes this weekend.

Last edited:

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Quite frankly I remember watching the first half of that Oregon game in 2017 and watching Oregon do literally whatever they wanted and I was mentally done with Riley at that point. I got married the next week on the same day we lost to Northern Illinois and I was disgusted by Riley and his program. But, Minnesota was probably the nail in the coffin for me that year, realistically. I was mad the whole year but what Minnesota did really just made me embarrassed. I was actually rooting for us to lose to Purdue so that it could be even more sure that Riley would be gone. Plus, by that time the wind was starting to blow with the Frost rumors and I was hoping for that as well.

I'm sure Tom just did it out of spite and I was too young to honestly care but I can see the arguments for keeping Callahan at the time as well. Not a fan of him long term though.

Every single game when Riley was here we were completely and totally physically out-matched at basically every position. There wasn’t a single spot along our OL/DL where we weren’t the physically weaker team and it wasn’t getting any better. Riley’s 2017 team was closer to being a 1 or 2 win football team than they were a bowl eligible squad. Arkansas St, Purdue, and Rutgers could have easily been losses. Purdue probably should have been and Arkansas State should have absolutely went to overtime.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Every single game when Riley was here we were completely and totally physically out-matched at basically every position. There wasn’t a single spot along our OL/DL where we weren’t the physically weaker team and it wasn’t getting any better. Riley’s 2017 team was closer to being a 1 or 2 win football team than they were a bowl eligible squad. Arkansas St, Purdue, and Rutgers could have easily been losses. Purdue probably should have been and Arkansas State should have absolutely went to overtime.
That’s usually the first thing I point to when someone says “this program hasn’t gotten any better under Frost”. Okay, well that’s a flat out lie cause physically we’ve made up the ground. I’ve seen photos of guys like Matt Farniok that spent a couple years under Riley and their strength staff and it’s simply embarrassing what the results were. No one should have been proud of that. Being who I am and being a weight room junkie, I’m proud of as shit of that improvement under Frost

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
That’s usually the first thing I point to when someone says “this program hasn’t gotten any better under Frost”. Okay, well that’s a flat out lie cause physically we’ve made up the ground. I’ve seen photos of guys like Matt Farniok that spent a couple years under Riley and their strength staff and it’s simply embarrassing what the results were. No one should have been proud of that. Being who I am and being a weight room junkie, I’m proud of as shit of that improvement under Frost

Last years team and this years team would shove any one of Riley’s teams in a locker. That’s not exactly a shining achievement. But I always get a kick out of the crowd that points to 2016 as some banner year and proof that Riley was just fine or somehow better than Frost and his staff. There was simply no chance with how they were conducting business that we wouldn’t have continued to lose because we were physically unfit.

There wasn’t an administrative undermining that forced his S&C program to be the worst in the history of Nebraska football.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Last years team and this years team would shove any one of Riley’s teams in a locker. That’s not exactly a shining achievement. But I always get a kick out of the crowd that points to 2016 as some banner year and proof that Riley was just fine or somehow better than Frost and his staff. There was simply no chance with how they were conducting business that we wouldn’t have continued to lose because we were physically unfit.

There wasn’t an administrative undermining that forced his S&C program to be the worst in the history of Nebraska football.
There’s actually a video out on YouTube of I believe the 2016 season where Mark Philip, the Somoan guy, was the head S&C coach at the time. And it was basically a short 5 minute interview/run through of what they were doing in the weight room in the off season, and I was just merely surprised by the pure lack of intensity that I saw. Things were just so slow, and I just couldn’t imagine that a Nebraska weight room could operate that way.

I watched it with Gib while I was still at X Edge and Jamie Belt was on the strength staff in Lincoln at the time, and him and Gib were tight cause Jamie used to be a Strength Coach at XEdge and Gib alone was disgusted at what they were doing and the lack of intensity. I’ve never met Zach personally but I’ve heard stories of him and how intense he is and just based off of that I would say Gib is just a tick below Zach in terms of intensity and what Nebraska Football is supposed to be.

Gib and Zach’s dad was an Osborne Assistant at some point in the 90s and I believe Gib was a GA strength coach or something and Zach was an Assistant Strength Coach at the time, all under TO

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Read the chat this morning and this was a response to a J. Weaver question. Figured he'd mean DE and NT...nope...just the different areas a DE would line up. Fucking Mongo.

"He is going to be a very interesting player for Nebraska to work into the line in various places. I can see him playing the 4, 4i, 5 and even sliding down to the 3."

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
Read the chat this morning and this was a response to a J. Weaver question. Figured he'd mean DE and NT...nope...just the different areas a DE would line up. Fucking Mongo.

"He is going to be a very interesting player for Nebraska to work into the line in various places. I can see him playing the 4, 4i, 5 and even sliding down to the 3."

I was also wondering what a 4i was. Is there a 3.14 as well? He's playing the pie position!

Last edited:

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds