Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

What in the flying F**k are we doing at the qb position. (2 Viewers)

Driveway Jordan

Wide Receiver
Insider
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
Kind of a shot in the dark question but maybe not, is there something to the run the damn ball hats that Bryce and Turner got maybe just a little more than a cool story and maybe actually trying to send a subtle message to Frost?

There is definitely a culture/mindset in the lockerroom in terms of the "type" of football the players want to play...which I view as a good thing. The defense has it, and some of younger players on offense have it. You have to remember too, a lot of these guys like Turner, Benhart, and Teddy were all recruited by Cockeye, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc. and I'm sure as part of the sales pitch to get them to come here was we are going to "turn Nebraska back into Nebraska" as far as playing physical football again.

Unfortunately, I don't know if Lubick and Frost see their offense that way.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
There is definitely a culture/mindset in the lockerroom in terms of the "type" of football the players want to play...which I view as a good thing. The defense has it, and some of younger players on offense have it. You have to remember too, a lot of these guys like Turner, Benhart, and Teddy were all recruited by Cockeyes, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc. and I'm sure as part of the sales pitch to get them to come here was we are going to "turn Nebraska back into Nebraska" as far as playing physical football again.

Unfortunately, I don't know if Lubick and Frost see their offense that way.
Understood. I could definitely see the recruiting pitch being that. I have 2 follow up questions to that:

1. How can a coach, not singling out Frost specifically in this question just more anyone, give a recruiting pitch to a high level recruit, that is maybe stretching the truth a tad, to get them to come to your school, only for the kid to find out it's actually a stretch of the truth, and that coach just expect the kid is going to be cool with it? I think on paper and conceptually, the idea of "Old School Husker Power mixed with Oregon Speed" is great and if you take it that literally, also sounds great, but in all reality what we've seen is it just turns out to be that same Oregon/UCF offense with bigger lineman. But at the end of the day it's still the cute spread offense stuff. Not that I don't think the spread works in CFB cause it obviously does, but in order for it to work to the standard that us as fans want, and what Frost wants, needs the elite Oregon/Bama/tOSU/Clemson receivers or elite G5 receivers if he was still at UCF. So like 15 Omar Mannings on your roster for starters and depth to make that work to that standard

2. I'm not directly saying Scott needs to run T.O.'s offense to be successful here, although I don't think it's the worst idea in the world at this point, but why is he so damn stubborn to change his offensive philosophy? Is he really that stuck on the Oregon offense that he thinks it trumps all schemes and is the best out there? I'm ranting a little and I apologize but what is his issue with maybe scrapping the cute shit like goal line pitches to Chris Hickman on the 2, and instead just lining up and punching someone in the face 4x and making them stop us like real Nebraska Football? If you're going to recruit guys like Teddy, Benhart, Turner, and tell them we're going to be Nebraska again, then why not follow through with that and do what he himself was successful at instead of trying to out spread tOSU or Oklahoma?

I still support the guy but damn I'm starting to scratch my head more and more if I'm being honest.

I also don't give a damn really what Lubick thinks to be honest, but that's just me

KidsSeeGhosts

Quarterback
Elite Member
I think we honestly have just generally sucked at running the ball over the past couple years. Our play calling tells me we haven't trusted our RB running game to make plays and we feel like we need to rely on the QB running game b/c of the extra blocker. We at least need one of the OL run blocking or RB group to be better this year.

Driveway Jordan

Wide Receiver
Insider
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
1. How can a coach, not singling out Frost specifically in this question just more anyone, give a recruiting pitch to a high level recruit, that is maybe stretching the truth a tad, to get them to come to your school, only for the kid to find out it's actually a stretch of the truth, and that coach just expect the kid is going to be cool with it?

There's always been a disconnect between what Greg Austin would like to do, and what Frost and Lubick are doing. All those rumors after the season about GA leaving were not wrong...he was looking around.

vailhusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Don't Worry

» Honolulu Saint Louis School’s AJ Bianco — a Husker quarterback target — is 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds, has barely played high school football, and just could be the best quarterback nearly no school knows about.
That’s according to his head coach, Ron Lee, who coached at the University of Hawaii for more than a decade — NU defensive line coach Tony Tuioti was on the Hawaii staff when Lee was there — and, when he returned to Saint Louis, was the offensive coordinator for Tua Tagovailoa. After Tagovailoa, Lee coached Washington State starter Jayden de Laura. Two years ago, Tuioti, Scott Frost and Mario Verduzco went out to Saint Louis to see de Laura. Bianco, the backup, had just transferred into the school.

Nebraska offered Bianco then, Lee said. Since then, an injury derailed his sophomore year, and COVID left him without any junior tape. Nebraska, Washington State and Hawaii are his only offers, and his Hudl highlight film from the past two years consists of spring scrimmage tape from the last month.
But that tape is special, Lee said. And Lee’s starting to field calls from USC and UCLA.
“Oh my gosh, he got in a game-like situation, and he threw, like, six touchdowns the last two scrimmages,” Lee said. “The pocket presence is so much better. He can run, and he really throws the ball. If there’s a quarterback better than this guy right, I’d like to see him.”

Bianco is supposed to head to an Elite 11 Regional soon, Lee said and perhaps tour some West Coast schools. Because Nebraska has recruited Bianco longest, Lee said NU has built up some “loyalty.” Tuioti’s connection to the area helps, too.

A.J. Bianco, St. Louis, Pro-Style Quarterback (247sports.com)

STL vs Kamehameha Drone - AJ Bianco highlights - Hudl

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
There's always been a disconnect between what Greg Austin would like to do, and what Frost and Lubick are doing. All those rumors after the season about GA leaving were not wrong...he was looking around.
I'm not going to assume anything because my mind always goes to the same place, but what is that Greg Austin wants to do that Frost and Lubick? And why don't Frost and Lubick want to do it?

Driveway Jordan

Wide Receiver
Insider
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
I'm not going to assume anything because my mind always goes to the same place, but what is that Greg Austin wants to do that Frost and Lubick? And why don't Frost and Lubick want to do it?

He wants much more of a downhill, physical running game...and not just calling the plays, but the mindset and commitment. Doesn't necessarily have to be under center either...you can still run the ball physically out of shotgun and the pistol.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
He wants much more of a downhill, physical running game...and not just calling the plays, but the mindset and commitment. Doesn't necessarily have to be under center either...you can still run the ball physically out of shotgun and the pistol.
Right, and I agree with Austin. So that has been mentioned in interviews this offseason. Based on things you've been told, is that coming to fruition this season or just lip service for the media? I find it astonishing that Frost wouldn't share that same mindset given his history here and how he won.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Someone very close to the program told me after the red-white game that AM has hit his ceiling...it’s like Tommy Armstrong 2.0. What you see is what you get, and there is no way for him to definitely improve because he’s already as good as he’s going to get. The really scary part is, we are all-in on him because he is so much better than anyone else we have. And Frost’s offense is soo “QB-centric”, we pretty much have to ride-or-die with him. His weapons are better at WR, but he is not better.

Adrian is a great kid, but he is in a tough spot because he is expected to be Superman (or at least Marcus Mariotta) in this offense, and he is far from that. It has lead to some resentment, particularly from players on the defensive side of the ball, who would much rather see ground-n-pound than swing passes and cutesy shit.
I don't believe that at all. He may be as good as he can get physically but his problems are mostly mental. Anyone has the capability to get better mentally.

Imagine someone saying you hit your ceiling at being a (insert job/profession here) when you were still in college.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Honestly if he has a repeat of his freshman year, cleans up the turnovers, and takes advantage of some better weapons now on offense and a better O-Line, then yeah 8-4 should be perfectly reasonable and expected. 2018 could have been 8-4 if we don't make a costly mistake in the games that were close.

Sam is notoriously skeptical as well. This is the first time in a long time I’ve seen him predict something to go this way.

If Adrian puts up this type of production we will definitely get to 8-9 wins and be right in the thick of it for the west.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Right, and I agree with Austin. So that has been mentioned in interviews this offseason. Based on things you've been told, is that coming to fruition this season or just lip service for the media? I find it astonishing that Frost wouldn't share that same mindset given his history here and how he won.

I know you aren’t talking to me, but I’ve been told that they want the offense to look more like what the game plan was for tOSU plus a bit more vertical passing game and a tad more tempo.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
But will he? And through what method? Is coaching holding him back? You're going to see the definition of insanity hit the field this fall...

I’m of the opinion that his first and second reads will be available more times than not this year and his third read will be a very experienced and physical TE. A lot of QBs struggle when they have to get past their 3rd guy especially in college. That’s not something that is exclusive to Adrian.

I think Adrian is going to look better this year because his first option isn’t a 5ft8 180 pound duck-r kid who should have always been a complimentary piece rather than the whole show and your first option on every play.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
But will he? And through what method? Is coaching holding him back? You're going to see the definition of insanity hit the field this fall...
Those are valid questions that I certainly don't have answers to. Some of the blame can go on the quality of WR in prior years which should be significantly better in 21. Certainly no guarantees they'll all be on the field.

Hypothetically if the top 5 receivers are on the field all season and Martinez doesn't show significant improvement that's 100% coaching.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I know you aren’t talking to me, but I’ve been told that they want the offense to look more like what the game plan was for tOSU plus a bit more vertical passing game and a tad more tempo.
I very much appreciate your insight. I mean I've re-watched our offensive game against tOSU multiple times and ya know I can't say that I really know how to put into words what a game plan would be. To me it seemed like almost a mix of everything? There was spread, attempted match up issues, power running, some full back play, option play, a mix of it all. Is that what you're implying for 2021?

KidsSeeGhosts

Quarterback
Elite Member
I very much appreciate your insight. I mean I've re-watched our offensive game against tOSU multiple times and ya know I can't say that I really know how to put into words what a game plan would be. To me it seemed like almost a mix of everything? There was spread, attempted match up issues, power running, some full back play, option play, a mix of it all. Is that what you're implying for 2021?
All white WRs

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I don't believe that at all. He may be as good as he can get physically but his problems are mostly mental. Anyone has the capability to get better mentally.

Imagine someone saying you hit your ceiling at being a (insert job/profession here) when you were still in college.
They wouldn't be wrong jim

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider

Everything was very quick to develop because we knew we couldn’t really out-athlete them. I don’t think we carried as many OL blocking schemes headed into this game as we usually do and our guys were able to at times physically pound tOSU up front on both sides.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds