Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

What in the flying F**k are we doing at the qb position. (2 Viewers)

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Smothers will be in the program three years by then. If he isn’t ready to play by then it’s probably time to transfer. I’m not expecting McKenzie Milton, but like you said atleast serviceable.
I put a lot more things on players than I do on coaching, but god damn if neither Smothers or HH is ready by fall of 2022, fuck find a new QB coach or Frost you need to figure that out cause that’s bad

Steveweiser316

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
make or break year for Verdu in my opinion. I thought it should have been last year but I guess not. If Adrian isn't at minimum 2018 form again, Frost needs to find a new QB coach or take those reigns himself.
Screw that, the dude shouldn’t be around anymore. Verdu would need A2M to have a great year and also develop Smothers or Double HH to take over next year in order to stay - in my eyes at least (which I understand isn’t very realistic)

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Screw that, the dude shouldn’t be around anymore. Verdu would need A2M to have a great year and also develop Smothers or Double HH to take over next year in order to stay - in my eyes at least (which I understand isn’t very realistic)
I actually don't think it's too far fetched. This is big boy Power 5 CFB. We still haven't seen the "year 2 Adrian Martinez" yet, and it's year 4 and might be his last. If neither of those boys are ready once Adrian leaves. then that is squarely on Mario and is horrid. That is ample time to get a guy atleast serviceable that you recruited.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
I put a lot more things on players than I do on coaching, but god damn if neither Smothers or HH is ready by fall of 2022, fuck find a new QB coach or Frost you need to figure that out cause that’s bad
True but the coach gets the blame. Frost and Verdu evidently think those qbs have the skill set to be good D I qbs or they wouldn’t have recruited them. They either missed here or can’t develop. Either way it’s on them if the qb isn’t producing.

DrinkItIn

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG
I'm not willing to assume that but I hope it's right. Probably worth forcing Adrian to move on if a high quality grad transfer is available

I am done with the 2AM experiment. I do not think he can read defenses and every other coach knows that. He was decent his freshman year, and then in the first game in year 2 he looked completely lost and has looked the same since.

I hope I am wrong, but I do not see him amounting to much this year either.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I am done with the 2AM experiment. I do not think he can read defenses and every other coach knows that. He was decent his freshman year, and then in the first game in year 2 he looked completely lost and has looked the same since.

I hope I am wrong, but I do not see him amounting to much this year either.
I hope you're wrong too, but expecting a guy to make a big leap between his 3rd and 4th year on campus is probably a fools errand

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
True but the coach gets the blame. Frost and Verdu evidently think those qbs have the skill set to be good D I qbs or they wouldn’t have recruited them. They either missed here or can’t develop. Either way it’s on them if the qb isn’t producing.
Very true. Players gotta execute though. I don't take Verdu very seriously anymore to be honest but Frost is no rookie in college football. He has seen what it takes to succeed on multiple levels. So that's why I tend to put more pressure and blame towards players.

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member

That’s 2,632 yards passing, 383 yards rushing, 24 total touchdowns and nine interceptions. That’s reasonable given the supporting cast, the schedule and Martinez’s reputed progress and comfort within the program.

The rushing totals are lower than Martinez’s previous averages because I think they have to be if NU is to go where it wants to go and Martinez is to stay healthy. The passing touchdowns are up because the Huskers have better options and a better system for the red zone, where Frost and his coordinator, Matt Lubick, share some of the duties. NU’s red zone work last year was improved from 2019 and will improve again.

McKewon's prediction for Martinez senior year is a repeat of Martinez's freshman year, which I would be fine with.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member

McKewon's prediction for Martinez senior year is a repeat of Martinez's freshman year, which I would be fine with.

Honestly if he has a repeat of his freshman year, cleans up the turnovers, and takes advantage of some better weapons now on offense and a better O-Line, then yeah 8-4 should be perfectly reasonable and expected. 2018 could have been 8-4 if we don't make a costly mistake in the games that were close.

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
Honestly if he has a repeat of his freshman year, cleans up the turnovers, and takes advantage of some better weapons now on offense and a better O-Line, then yeah 8-4 should be perfectly reasonable and expected. 2018 could have been 8-4 if we don't make a costly mistake in the games that were close.
Plus we will have better defense and better special teams.

RedSavage

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Yes. A little luck gets us 9-3. A little not luck and I still think we go 6-6.
I think we're about due for a little luck. Pretty much everything that could go against us luck wise, has.

I still sometimes wonder if we'd played that Akron game if it would've changed the trajectory of the program and where we are today.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I think we're about due for a little luck. Pretty much everything that could go against us luck wise, has.

I still sometimes wonder if we'd played that Akron game if it would've changed the trajectory of the program and where we are today.
Technically I guess that's cause most likely a W, but it's all Colorado 2018 for me. Don't shit the bed to lose the game, or have Adrian in to help win the game, and this whole tenure is different I think. Either 1-0 with a healthy Adrian going into Troy or 2-0 and looking and feeling real good real fast.

RedSavage

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Technically I guess that's cause most likely a W, but it's all Colorado 2018 for me. Don't shit the bed to lose the game, or have Adrian in to help win the game, and this whole tenure is different I think. Either 1-0 with a healthy Adrian going into Troy or 2-0 and looking and feeling real good real fast.
The hype and excitement for Frost coming home, after having an undefeated season, was nuts. I was at that game and the stadium was ELECTRIC. It just seemed like that game getting canceled really took some of the wind out of the sails, for both the fans and the players. You could tell it was a pretty somber walk, leaving, for everyone there.

All that said, I agree with you as well.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
The hype and excitement for Frost coming home, after having an undefeated season, was nuts. I was at that game and the stadium was ELECTRIC. It just seemed like that game getting canceled really took some of the wind out of the sails, for both the fans and the players. You could tell it was a pretty somber walk, leaving, for everyone there.

All that said, I agree with you as well.
Yep me and my cousin were at it. Pretty emotional for two kids/guys who really grew up knowing the legend of Scott Frost through stories and YouTube videos for it to finally be here for us. The jog back to my truck to take him back to Doane in the pouring rain and nasty storm was rather fucking terrible way to end the day that had so much anticipation.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds