Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

What in the flying F**k are we doing at the qb position. (1 Viewer)

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
5-6 wins is pretty much the same for me. If Frost is worth a fuck he should win 8 or more games this year.
Yeah I hear ya there. I said I wouldn’t judge Frost till year 5. My judgment is just now getting going. 8-4 should be realistic this year

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Yeah I hear ya there. I said I wouldn’t judge Frost till year 5. My judgment is just now getting going. 8-4 should be realistic this year
Unless Frost wins 2 games this year, he will get to year 5. I don’t see the talent level being that great and who is going to play qb assuming Martinez moves on? Maybe our offensive line will be badass by then. That alone could make us a pretty good team.

Steveweiser316

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Held is on my shit list until he gets himself off. Even if he does it this year I'll think it is Brown more responsible
That’s my biggest issue. If Frost was truly holding Verdu and Held accountable they would have been gone after last year. I guess what I’m trying to say is I have issues with them but my biggest issue is Frost still allowing them to be apart of his staff.

Steveweiser316

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Agreed on the year 5 but we’ve been so bad. We were still making the same mistakes last year that we were making in year 1. I do think our D looks better and we look more physical but the constant mental errors are inexcusable

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
That’s my biggest issue. If Frost was truly holding Verdu and Held accountable they would have been gone after last year. I guess what I’m trying to say is I have issues with them but my biggest issue is Frost still allowing them to be apart of his staff.
That is fair.

I am more forgiving of Mario because I think I saw a few things from Martinez that pointed at improvement. I just think he had no help at RB, a center who couldn't snap and back to back years of having the worst WR core in the B1G. My biggest problem with Mario is wtf are we doing with Luke? We need a solid option at Qb2. I like HH and Smothers, but they are so far away right now I feel. If we are having a full time QB coach we need that to be better or the ROI isn't there JMO

Steveweiser316

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
That is fair.

I am more forgiving of Mario because I think I saw a few things from Martinez that pointed at improvement. I just think he had no help at RB, a center who couldn't snap and back to back years of having the worst WR core in the B1G. My biggest problem with Mario is wtf are we doing with Luke? We need a solid option at Qb2. I like HH and Smothers, but they are so far away right now I feel. If we are having a full time QB coach we need that to be better or the ROI isn't there JMO
Agreed. If they wanted to take a chance on Luke because he was such a good athlete they should have brought another (safer) QB on in the same class. Hell, maybe that safer option would have been the starter by now?

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Agreed on the year 5 but we’ve been so bad. We were still making the same mistakes last year that we were making in year 1. I do think our D looks better and we look more physical but the constant mental errors are inexcusable
Yeah I agree. But at this point I put the mental errors on the players. You can't tell me they don't rep this shit in practice, and shit still happens in the games. On the players at that point in my opinion. Gotta execute.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Unless Frost wins 2 games this year, he will get to year 5. I don’t see the talent level being that great and who is going to play qb assuming Martinez moves on? Maybe our offensive line will be badass by then. That alone could make us a pretty good team.
My personal opinion I'd like to see HH take the reigns once Adrian rolls out. Smothers remind me of a really good Luke and I just don't want that experiment again. I personally think the O-Line is going to be absolutely gross in 2022 and will be the strength that the DLine is this year. Hot take right now but I think Cam and Turner are possible All-Americans for Cam's farewell tour and I think Benhart is some level of All Big Ten lineman at the end of the year.

Steveweiser316

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Yeah I agree. But at this point I put the mental errors on the players. You can't tell me they don't rep this shit in practice, and shit still happens in the games. On the players at that point in my opinion. Gotta execute.
Execution is on players. However, if those players aren’t executing then isn’t that on the coaches to find someone that will? I also think Verdu has F’d A2M up mentally. You give a kid a 69,000 question test and he’s going to start over analyzing everything - which I think is some of what we’ve seen with A2M over the years

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Execution is on players. However, if those players aren’t executing then isn’t that on the coaches to find someone that will? I also think Verdu has F’d A2M up mentally. You give a kid a 69,000 question test and he’s going to start over analyzing everything - which I think is some of what we’ve seen with A2M over the years
Your second point was my opinion after 2019. I legitimately thought, and idk about anymore, but at the time watching him play I legitimately thought he was doing things slowly because he was thinking too much and Verdu had fucked him up mentally after 2018 and all the expectations and pressure.

Your first point, yes, unless that someone that will is either A. simply not ready physically, or B. not as good at that point in time? Even though maybe they know what they're doing. So eventually yes that needs to happen but you can't force it I don't think. 2020 is a good example and even 2019 to be honest with Adrian. There were times where he seriously blew some ass, but you couldn't bench him based on what we know now, Luke wasn't ready and simply isn't a Power 5 QB. Now, is that a recruiting miss on the staff? Yes. But we didn't know it at the time. We just knew that Adrian was playing like shit and the unicorn Luke was in the background waiting for his number to be called. But, when Luke's number was called, he did not execute, and that is on him. There were passes he should have absolutely made that he missed badly, and that's on him. There were passes against Minnesota last year that Adrian just barely missed that are on Adrian for missing. Probably shouldn't have thrown it as much as we did in hindsight, but still gotta execute the play call.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
I thunk they over estimated their coaching ability and difficulty to develop arms.

Also underestimated the need to have a level of arm talent for this league.
I think they overestimated how big of an impact Duval would make immediately. I think he's legit. But the vibe I got was with one year under Duval, they'd be developing and whipping these dipshits ass. When in all reality, if you're a P5 S&C coach, you know what the fuck you're doing these days.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I think they overestimated how big of an impact Duval would make immediately. I think he's legit. But the vibe I got was with one year under Duval, they'd be developing and whipping these dipshits ass. When in all reality, if you're a P5 S&C coach, you know what the fuck you're doing these days.
2 points I want to make with this:

1. it's funny you mention the overestimating it of one year in the weight room, because I think at this point that's true. But in the same context, I think they underestimated pretty much everything else about the Big 10, and are learning it the hard way as they go.

2. Also funny that Frost could overestimate 1 year in the weight room because of his first hand knowledge and things he's said about Husker Power on that kids used to live in the weight room for 2 years before ever seeing the field and were grown men when they saw the field for the first time. I say first hand knowledge because Zach runs a modern day version of what Boyd used to run. And he may have thought the same could happen in just 1 year in the weight room? That's wild if he had that mindset.

Zach is very legit

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
2 points I want to make with this:

1. it's funny you mention the overestimating it of one year in the weight room, because I think at this point that's true. But in the same context, I think they underestimated pretty much everything else about the Big 10, and are learning it the hard way as they go.

2. Also funny that Frost could overestimate 1 year in the weight room because of his first hand knowledge and things he's said about Husker Power on that kids used to live in the weight room for 2 years before ever seeing the field and were grown men when they saw the field for the first time. I say first hand knowledge because Zach runs a modern day version of what Boyd used to run. And he may have thought the same could happen in just 1 year in the weight room? That's wild if he had that mindset.

Zach is very legit
Zach and Ellis are some of the best in the business.

When Nebraska has the facilities and if they are winning they will have a very attractive recruiting pitch iyam.

Driveway Jordan

Wide Receiver
Insider
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
the plan:

1. Pray your incredibly mediocre, turnover prone, injury prone qb improves, learns to take care of the ball, and stays healthy throughout the 2021 season.
2. Pray your untested, inexperienced, backups develop.
3. Don't recruit anyone else.
4. Victory.

This deserves the “5 likes” icon.

Driveway Jordan

Wide Receiver
Insider
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
Someone very close to the program told me after the red-white game that AM has hit his ceiling...it’s like Tommy Armstrong 2.0. What you see is what you get, and there is no way for him to definitely improve because he’s already as good as he’s going to get. The really scary part is, we are all-in on him because he is so much better than anyone else we have. And Frost’s offense is soo “QB-centric”, we pretty much have to ride-or-die with him. His weapons are better at WR, but he is not better.

Adrian is a great kid, but he is in a tough spot because he is expected to be Superman (or at least Marcus Mariotta) in this offense, and he is far from that. It has lead to some resentment, particularly from players on the defensive side of the ball, who would much rather see ground-n-pound than swing passes and cutesy shit.

KidsSeeGhosts

Quarterback
Elite Member
Someone very close to the program told me after the red-white game that AM has hit his ceiling...it’s like Tommy Armstrong 2.0. What you see is what you get, and there is no way for him to definitely improve because he’s already as good as he’s going to get. The really scary part is, we are all-in on him because he is so much better than anyone else we have. And Frost’s offense is soo “QB-centric”, we pretty much have to ride-or-die with him. His weapons are better at WR, but he is not better.

Adrian is a great kid, but he is in a tough spot because he is expected to be Superman (or at least Marcus Mariotta) in this offense, and he is far from that. It has lead to some resentment, particularly from players on the defensive side of the ball, who would much rather see ground-n-pound than swing passes and cutesy shit.

The whole swing pass bit drives me crazy. We run RPOs. Idk how many called swing passes we have in a game, but it's maybe 2.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member

Kind of a shot in the dark question but maybe not, is there something to the run the damn ball hats that Bryce and Turner got maybe just a little more than a cool story and maybe actually trying to send a subtle message to Frost? Only reason I ask is because I remember NU Fan putting in some nuggets a couple months ago that some former team mates are being more vocal in asking Frost to shift the offense more towards ground and pound and less of the cute spread shit. NU Fan also said he mentioned it to Frost himself

or it’s all complete coincidence and has no connection to each other

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds