Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Watched the week 2 presser. Some thoughts (1 Viewer)

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Is Colorado actually going to be ranked on Tuesday? Rhule made it sound like they would be. He even said they might be top 10...
Imagine a top 10 road victory for our beloved Huskers...

Ryan Reynolds Movie GIF
AP will have them 20-25.

Mavsker

Big Ten referee
tPB OG
Seriously? Lol.

He's laying it on thick. There's no way he thinks that. He's setting it up for a Herb Brooks miracle on ice moment lol.
Dude I don't think they're going to be ranked top 10, I don't think Rhule thinks that either lol
He just said it and I said imagine it
It's nice to imagine

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I think the main thing is Grant. Him having fumblitis is very publicly known. There really were a lot of positive signs, but that is the kind of retarded, common sense shit that we thought was behind us. Hopefully they learn from it, but really this isn’t something that should need learning at this level from our assistants. EJ should know better, and if not Satterfield should be telling him to get him the fuck off the field. I’d bet Rhule has had this discussion with them.
If there’s any “improvements” from week 1-2, it better has been Rhule ripping anyone involved with that decision and setting that record straight. I personally don’t care if Grant gets another carry all year at this point

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Just because fans were expecting a lesser of a season in the first year, doesn’t mean we should accept frost like finishes. That first game was a frost like finish.
This is true. But that’s why it’s funny to me. If it’s a loss by 10 or more then it’s just a loss and no one cares that much

NSECTA4

Safety
Elite Member
I hate to say it, but I am now onboard with winning around 4 games at most this year. I sort of decided that I am probably done watching the games this year after last week.
I will be pleasantly surprised if we exceed 4 wins this year. I cannot recall a Nebraska team in my lifetime with worse ‘talent’ on offense.
I am confident that if Frost’s staff were still in place with the current talent that this team would be lucky to win even 1 game.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
This offseason I wanted Deion because he was drastically different than anything we’ve ever had. I think it was the perfect time to have something we’ve never had.

Deion was Nebraskas golden egg and I worry they dropped it.
(reposting from a similar thread on rivals)

Way too early to tell, obviously. My hunch is that Sanders' approach may work perfectly at Colorado, but it wouldn't have worked the same way at NU.

Colorado and their fans embrace the idea that they're some flashy villains, they love to hate and be hated, in their minds they were like the Miami of the Big 8/12. So even after all their time in the wilderness, they were waiting for someone exactly like Sanders to come in and embrace the new-school version of that. Sanders isn't a villain, he seems like a good person, but obviously he absolutely values flash, media hype, bombast, all the spotlight on him and his brand and speaking in the third person, all of the things that make opposing fans crazy. He's sort of like Barry Switzer in that way, a flamboyant charmer playing by his own rules, but you can't quite hate him because (as of right now) he backs it up and doesn't seem like an actual bad guy.

In comparison, Nebraska football is a wayyy different box to fit into. Our fans are desperate for success, but we also still crave the traditional motivational/brotherhood type of approach that worked at NU in the past. For better or worse, Sanders' approach would have freaked out tons of NU fans, it would've been an uneasy marriage from the start.

I mean can anyone really imagine Nebraska football being branded as "COACH PRIME" all over the internet and all media coverage? He needed to be at a program that he could absorb into his own brand, and NU is too monolithic to do that.

As for Rhule, game 1 was a little worse than I expected, but not enough to cancel out everything we saw during the offseason. If Sanders is like Switzer, Rhule (hopefully) is like Bob Devaney - completely comfortable in his own skin, bringing his own tried and true approach to Nebraska, connecting with people of all walks of life in NU fandom, and authentically wanting to develop an updated Nebraska identity that is still built on toughness, brotherhood, development, etc.

Sanders' strategy is built on instant results that may or may not be long-lasting, Rhule's is built on slow and steady results that will theoretically be long-lasting at a place that is not naturally built for flash and quick fixes. That's why I'm going to be pretty patient for the on-field side of things, it might not be pretty but I think we will start seeing the signs of progress throughout the year. Hopefully starting this week.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
No knowledgable football mind would watch CU's horrendous D and STs game video and be like "this is a top ten team"...he's doing some minor trolling/setting up CU expectations.
I watched the Colorado - TCU game, and was not impressed with either team. TCU came out just shooting themselves in the foot left & right. Their QB was driving the Struggle Bus. CU's offense looked good was impressed with them but as much as I was impressed with them I was unimpressed with their D. Some uber talented players like Hunter but lots of holes especially up the middle.

We've heard the pundits claim the Buffs would struggle on the O-Line & D-Line. Well O-Line actually looked pretty good to my untrained eyes but D-Line & Inside Backers did not look the part. I am expecting us to go power football this week & pound the rock. Put a bigger WR like Washington or Coleman out there matched up with Hunter and have them block his 185 lb ass. Then run some option at him with Ervin toting the rock. Let grown ass man Ervin have 4-5 violent collisions with him and lets see how he feels. Or go Art Briles and line up fast WR's having them sprint down the field every play so he tires out covering them.

I think we eat up the clock on offense with power running. Hopefully that opens up the passing game a bit for Sims. I like our chances of winning this game. Pour me another glass of Rhule Aide.

jaihawk

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
I watched the Colorado - TCU game, and was not impressed with either team. TCU came out just shooting themselves in the foot left & right. Their QB was driving the Struggle Bus. CU's offense looked good was impressed with them but as much as I was impressed with them I was unimpressed with their D. Some uber talented players like Hunter but lots of holes especially up the middle.

We've heard the pundits claim the Buffs would struggle on the O-Line & D-Line. Well O-Line actually looked pretty good to my untrained eyes but D-Line & Inside Backers did not look the part. I am expecting us to go power football this week & pound the rock. Put a bigger WR like Washington or Coleman out there matched up with Hunter and have them block his 185 lb ass. Then run some option at him with Ervin toting the rock. Let grown ass man Ervin have 4-5 violent collisions with him and lets see how he feels. Or go Art Briles and line up fast WR's having them sprint down the field every play so he tires out covering them.

I think we eat up the clock on offense with power running. Hopefully that opens up the passing game a bit for Sims. I like our chances of winning this game. Pour me another glass of Rhule Aide.

I am really hoping that we are able to ground and pound and ball control the heck out of this game. I have seen this scenario play out many times with spread/up-tempo teams when they get into games like this where possessions end up being at a premium. Their OC's and their players often "panic" because they feel like they need to score points at what they're used to. Often times that results in errors here and there, which can play into the ball control team's hand.

I'm not saying that's how it'll play out, but I've seen it happen enough times to know that it's a possibility.

Ext. 55

Big Poppa
Elite Member
tPB OG
It's funny how we all acknowledged that his first years at other stops have been complete ass, yet we're pissed off that what we thought would happen, happened. A good portion of everyone predicted a MN loss, and we lost, and we're still mad. I understand the context of why we're mad, and me too, but it's just that predicting misery is never actually the same as experiencing misery.

Fuck Colorado
Busch Beer GIF by Busch

Nebraska fans are a delusional, selective memory bunch.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider

I agree with you 100%

What I’ll say for CU’s OL is that they schemed them into a position where their jobs were easy and they had the element of surprise on TCU. With their quick passing game their OL didn’t have to maintain blocks for extended periods and once they got into a rhythm with that TCU went light up front so CU’s OL was constantly 5v3. Crazy thing is that Sanders also got sacked on a few 3 man rushes.

If you can gum up their short passing game and make their OL play you straight up you’re in business and our DL should be able to go to work.

We are certainly not going to shut this CU team out and I expect us to give up some yards between the 30s. But I think if you can get Sanders off of his first read, defeat perimeter blocks, and tackle well out there you’re in business.

This Tony White vs Sean Lewis chess match we’re about to see might be one of the least talked about story lines. But it’s one that will decide this game.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I am really hoping that we are able to ground and pound and ball control the heck out of this game. I have seen this scenario play out many times with spread/up-tempo teams when they get into games like this where possessions end up being at a premium. Their OC's and their players often "panic" because they feel like they need to score points at what they're used to. Often times that results in errors here and there, which can play into the ball control team's hand.

I'm not saying that's how it'll play out, but I've seen it happen enough times to know that it's a possibility.
Look simply at Nebraska vs Wisconsin 2018

MrKnightedHusker

Linebacker
Elite Member
First presser that Rhule didn't smile once for easy starters. Watching someone's eyes before and after a question gets answered can be very telling. In this one he rarely looked at the person who asked the question whlle they were asking. That doesn't mean he was lying. To the contrary I think he was both honest and correct in all of his answers. What that indicates to me is how he feels about having to give the answers he did.

And so much of what he said was directed toward the mental aspect of the game. When the coach said "We have to make it about just football" he's right. That's his main concern is if the team will handle the moment. Not a good thing to be worried about.
I think his press conference demeanor had more to do with him still being pissed off, rather than conceding anything.

HughJanus

Der Viener Schlinger
Elite Member
Here are good looks at some of their better offensive plays. Thought they were interesting. Only wanted the first play in the first tweet but couldn't find the clip.

DuckSker

RedSeaFarts=Sandalwood
Elite Member
1. Rhule doesn't have the same spark he did a week ago. He knows now what's fixable and more to the point what isn't. Jeff Sims and over all depth on the roster.

2. Unfair or not Rhule is going to pay the bill for the last 23 years of incompetent HC's. EVERYTHING that happens will be under a microscope and scrutinized and questioned in ways that no first year head coach doing a rebuild project would have to deal with in almost any other situation.

3. Rhule doesn't give us much chance to win Saturday. The only time his demeanor got brighter was when he talked about our home stretch after the Colorado game. I have to wonder if his main concern right now is how to maintain and build confidence as a team after what he suspects will happen Saturday happens.

4. He's not wrong about this team being a whole lot better than last year same time. The problem is our chosen, hand picked QB is a turnover machine and our best running back is too. And he knows that at a certain point a player is who the film says they are. So he knows we aren't winning very many games this year in spite of all the improvements on defense and special teams. With even average QB play this is a seven or eight win team. We can only hope that someday we see out of Sims what he seems to have seen in him when he got him to come here.

5. I still love the guy and am very glad he's our head coach.
I know you got blasted by dumb fuck @...TrueColors... but you were exactly right in observing that Rhule showed no fucking confidence whatsoever in pressers this week. Here’s our pussy ass team being content with Shadeur standing in our huddle pregame. We are such a pussy ass team and it was obvious since his presser Monday.

IMG_4837.jpeg

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds