Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Just Watched LA Tech Game For First Time… Considerations/Reactions (1 Viewer)

Seaofred92

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Nebrasketball
Had a wedding for a buddy yesterday afternoon and didn’t get a chance to watch the game live. Just finished the rewatch and have some thoughts on the game/players and go forward.

Positives:

The defense, specifically against the run, is just so drastically improved from last year (and years prior) I don’t even know where to begin. They totally owned the LOS to the point where LA Tech basically solely turned to running those quick screens to their WRs as their run game. They completely gave up trying to run up the middle after the stuff of the QB sneak on 4th and 1

Nash Hutmacher is an all conference level player at DT. It’s absolutely crazy how much he has improved by adding some flexibility and quickness. Really really great job by Nash to put in the work needed and the strength staff to help get him to this point. Can’t even imagine how good he is going to be next year

Our depth at DB is great as well.. and not only that but most of these guys have at least another year after this. Gives us potential to build on the growth this year which is great, elevates the standard

The OL actually opened some pretty decent holes in the run game. I thought they started to establish themselves as the game went on. Rhule has constantly mentioned wanting to end the game better than they start and they are doing that.

10:33 left in the game Matt Millen provided this commentary: “As the game goes on you can see the strength of the offensive line. They’ve opened some pretty big holes”. Team finished with 312 yards rushing and that could’ve (should’ve?) been over 400 had the two long TD runs not been called back

Billy Kemp is finding his footing as our #1 option at WR. Haarberg seems to like him as his go to guy

Fidone does so many things well and seems to be gaining more and more confidence. His catch radius is just insane- the TD catch he made to leap up, grab it out of the air and keep running for the TD was just absurd. As he gets more and more confident and ramps up he’s going to be a major issue for opposing defenses

We forced two fumbles but both went out of bounds.. one by Omar Brown on a WR screen in the first half and one by Phalen Sanford on the punt return right before the weather delay. Keep punching at the ball and eventually we’ll reap the rewards in the turnover game

You can win football games with Haarberg at QB playing the style Rhule wants to play. I’m not going to pretend he is there as a passer yet but I think at this point he clearly has to be the guy they roll with- he’s earned that right and showed some pretty good speed on both long TD runs he had. His ability to take hits as a physical runner will pay dividends in November.. that isn’t a guy you want to have to tackle in 35 degree weather.

Concerns:

I’m decently concerned with how many snaps Nash has to play, he leads the defensive line by FAR in number of snaps.

Behind Nash (and Ty) at DT there really isn’t much “good” depth. Buckley is surprisingly serviceable- to be honest he was a guy that I didn’t think would ever play a snap here and he’s transformed his body enough to where he can hold up okay. He really only can bull rush the C but his size allows him to make progress there. I’d like to see him improve his lateral quickness in the offseason. Behind Buckley there is absolutely nobody that can play on the nose today- we are going to need a big offseason for Lefotu and Maciejczak.

Running back depth is totally non-existent behind Grant now. Emmett Johnson is going to need to show something because there is no way they can run Grant 22 times per game for 8 more Big Ten games and have him remain as effective/healthy as he is now. I don’t think Ives even played a snap against LT which to me means they’re clearly going to try to redshirt him if possible. Don’t be surprised if Trevin Luben or even Maurice Mazzccua play over Ives in order to have him maintain his 4 game redshirt.

WR.. Coleman finally played a bit (5 snaps) and was in on the long TD run Grant had called back. I think they’d ideally love to redshirt him too but they’re in a pickle because they need him to play to open the offense up a bit. Interesting Jaylin Lloyd didn’t play again… they’re probably going to alternate Lloyd and Coleman’s appearances so as to be able to redshirt both guys as they both bring similar skill sets to the offense (although Coleman’s height is an advantage). We got a Ty Hahn appearance- cannot believe he’s only a Sophomore

Left tackle…. I don’t even know where to begin. I can’t even shit on Corcoran because they’re not putting him in a position to play to his strengths and be successful. He clearly isn’t a Left Tackle but the fact that they keep trotting him out there and Teddy (or Gottula or someone) can’t overtake him is absolutely mind-boggling and extremely concerning. The kid from Utah Knaak seems like he’s years away from seeing the field too. No idea what is happening there but they gotta figure that spot out because between that and the lack of explosiveness at WR they are extremely limited in what they can call offensively

Overall the team seems to be settling in a bit. They’re taking on Rhule’s identity of playing their best ball in the fourth quarter after two weeks of not doing so. Last year we were in a 7 point game against North Dakota in the fourth quarter and gave up 40+ to GA Southern in a home loss… this year we absolutely handled NIU and LA Tech and the result of both games never felt in doubt. This team is not only ahead of where they were last year, but they are getting better as the season goes on. I think we’re going to be happy with where we wind up as a team at the end of the year (not even talking record- just mean how we’re playing) and it MAY result in us getting to that 6 win mark. After next week there isn’t a game left on the schedule this team can’t win. That isn’t something you’ve been able to say about a Nebraska team for a long time.

Last edited:

CybrrMonky71

FukUJarvisRedwine
Elite Member
I think you are correct about us getting better as the yr goes on
The biggest concern is RB
Whst if Grant goes down?
We could win every game on the schedule other than michigan if we establish an offensive identity & keep improving
But if Grant goes down
We could lose every game as well
The offense is scary thin with few options
I do agree Luben should be looked at more as an option behind Grant
He’s a tough back & good runner
& yes we probably lose one of these past 2 games with the prior 2 staffs when things started slow
We don’t put them away 2nd half
We shit our pants with an error that flips the game

Seaofred92

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Nebrasketball
I went yesterday and it looked like they had some plays where receivers were actually open and Haarberg didn't notice them quickly enough. Hopefully the light will come on for him soonish
This has been the case every game thus far this year… I’m not pretending our WR corps doesn’t need work but there are some plays there to be made that we as an offense are just simply not making in the pass game currently

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
This has been the case every game thus far this year… I’m not pretending our WR corps doesn’t need work but there are some plays there to be made that we as an offense are just simply not making in the pass game currently
Yeah I had a harder time telling on TV, but in person it was pretty obvious that dudes were open on some plays and we just aren't where we need to be at for the QB position

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Yeah I had a harder time telling on TV, but in person it was pretty obvious that dudes were open on some plays and we just aren't where we need to be at for the QB position
Rhule always points this out to the reporters who talk about how awesome HH. Rhule was quick to point out yester that yes he did some good things but he "missed a lot"

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
HH has a chance to get into the NFL if he doesn't stay at QB.

I don't think Ives get redshirted. These aren't the kind of coaches who would redshirt someone who is better than someone else who is playing significant time. Especially a running back.

Stan Raymond

Cornerback
WR.. Coleman finally played a bit (5 snaps) and was in on the long TD run Grant had called back. I think they’d ideally love to redshirt him too but they’re in a pickle because they need him to play to open the offense up a bit. Interesting Jaylin Lloyd didn’t play again… they’re probably going to alternate Lloyd and Coleman’s appearances so as to be able to redshirt both guys as they both bring similar skill sets to the offense (although Coleman’s height is an advantage). We got a Ty Hahn appearance- cannot believe he’s only a Sophomore
Don't see Coleman redshirting, he's already played in 4 games. Lloyd probably will.

GBR305

Linebacker
Turner Corcoran had a 0.0 pass blocking grade according to PFF.....and that's like his 5th time doing that in his career. Please throw Knaak or Gottula out there, they literally cannot be any worse

nja13

2x All-state FG/PAT holder
Elite Member
Turner Corcoran had a 0.0 pass blocking grade according to PFF.....and that's like his 5th time doing that in his career.
Absolutely meaningless. I'm not saying TC is doing well or even average, but to give a guy a 0.0 in pass blocking on a 0-100 scale when he gives up one sack and two hurries in 68 plays is a farce. My theory is the grader is a Nebraska fan who is pissed like the rest of us he's still playing LT and says, "Fuck this guy. He gets a 0.0" out of spite. Scott gives up one more sack than Corcoran and is graded a 34.7? Totally random.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds